Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Will Shtisel on Netflix awaken a spark in anyone
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Will Shtisel on Netflix bring about Baalei Tshuva?
No, not at all, its only a show.  
 43%  [ 26 ]
People might change their opinions of religious people to a small degree, but not enough to make changes in level of religion.  
 48%  [ 29 ]
I think some people will make small changes in their level of religious practice, but nothing major.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I think some people will be affected enough to adopt a more religious lifestyle.  
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
Thats because I assume you dont have and cant fathom children who might have a dozen degrees, but will possibly never give you grandchildren, and a long list of other reasons that irreligious people would definitely find attractive.

You can have lots of children and not be religious.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:11 pm
Take, for instance, even despicable Lipa, he, unlike many husbands who pick up and leave, never to return, came back because he felt bad for Gitty and the kids.

That compares well to many husbands who stay with their often younger "honeys" and dont give a flying ---- about their families.

Although in the secular world being a single mother is less of a problem, because most women are independent, and theres less stigma about divorce.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
Take, for instance, even despicable Lipa, he, unlike many husbands who pick up and leave, never to return, came back because he felt bad for Gitty and the kids.

That compares well to many husbands who stay with their often younger "honeys" and dont give a flying ---- about their families.

Although in the secular world being a single mother is less of a problem, because most women are independent, and theres less stigma about divorce.

Red: You don't know why Lipa came back. (and comparing frum cheaters vs not frum cheaters is really not a good argument to make)

Gitty seemed to be at her happiest when she was a business owner.

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:45 pm
I didn't think that the show made the frum world look bad. There needs to be drama to make the story entertaining, so in a show about frum Jews that drama will be related to marriages, different religious observance, etc.

Lesia

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
Really? I think people are likely amazed at the fact that no matter what challenges come their way, theres no drugs, alchohol abuse and/or talk about suicide except by Reb. Erblich because of her terminal illness, which is pretty true to life.

You’re assuming two things which aren’t necessarily true.
1. That in the secular world people automatically turn to drugs and suicide when things go wrong.
2. Just because it’s not portrayed in a TV show doesn’t mean there isn’t lots of drug and alcohol abuse in the Charedi world.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:54 pm
I think they should rename the show to Shtisim. Not Shtisel.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 3:36 pm
I read an interview with Akiva and Libi right after Shtissel ended in Israel. They were asked if acting in the show made them want to become frum in real life. They both answered that before the show started, they spent shabbos by families in Meah Shearim and they were exposed to a world that amazed them and part of them wanted to join it.

Akiva said that at the end of a full day of filming, he sometimes had an indentation in his hair from wearing a kippah all day and he really felt something special. He said that he doesn't think he will be chozer btshuva, but he feels a special connection that he never felt before.

Libi's answer was so sad. She said that she really felt like taking on more mitzvos, but then she acted in another movie (Felix and Meira) with an actor who had previously been frum and he let her know how terrible frum life really is. Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
I meant that I think its factual (true to life) that suicide happens way less in frum communities than not frum and non Jewish communities.
You keep telling yourself that, but its not actually true.
Amother, every bad thing out there, that happens in our big bad world also happens in the frum world. And please, dont stick your head in the sand and think otherwise. Its the truth all around.

Also, apparently, since the show has been on netflix, all over the globe, there are people, who have no connection to judasim at all, who are loving the show, but are not crawn to judaism as a religion. I have even heard of devout christians who love the show. Its just a portrayal, in a soap opera way, of a society, thats all.
But really, all it is is a soap opera about a charedi yerushalmi family.

And as another poster said, this show has been over for a few years already here in Israel and there was no big wave of chozrei betshuva.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
I meant that I think its factual (true to life) that suicide happens way less in frum communities than not frum and non Jewish communities.

I actually don't think this is true. I'd like to look into the statistics, but I know more non frum people than frum people. However, I've heard of more suicides in the frum community than the non frum community but maybe because news travels faster. There is definitely less drug use in the frum community because of lack of exposure though, but that does not mean it is non existent or that every unhappy secular person utilizes drugs.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
Libi's answer was so sad. She said that she really felt like taking on more mitzvos, but then she acted in another movie (Felix and Meira) with an actor who had previously been frum and he let her know how terrible frum life really is. Sad

Very revealing about Libi, that shed take one person's negativity as the Gospel.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:23 am
Lesia wrote:
You’re assuming two things which aren’t necessarily true.
1. That in the secular world people automatically turn to drugs and suicide when things go wrong.
2. Just because it’s not portrayed in a TV show doesn’t mean there isn’t lots of drug and alcohol abuse in the Charedi world.

Youd have to come up with factual statistics to make me feel that drug and alcohol abuse and suicide is equal percentage-wise in frum and not frum and not Jewish society.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
Youd have to come up with factual statistics to make me feel that drug and alcohol abuse and suicide is equal percentage-wise in frum and not frum and not Jewish society.

I once spoke to a respected Jewish psychiatrist who said that while suicide rates may be lower in the frum population, it is actually misleading because Jews throw suicide in the same category as murder and rape and maybe even worse than those. Therefore, there may be more mental health constraints and pains in the frum community, especially with the stigma and lack of access to care many people deal with. HThere are also a lot of mentally disabled and psychiatric patients birthing children and not receiving treatment.

Drug usage is lower and there is less exposure to that, but plenty of frum people do drugs unfortunately. I was disappointed to see that many of my Chassidish neighbors enjoyed pot on Purim but considering that will be fully legal in a few years, I have nothing to say.

As I said above, I know more non frum people than frum people and I've heard of more suicides in the frum community than from non frum people I know, but that can be attributed to socioeconomic class and to the fact that news in the frum community spreads quickly. I'd be interested to see the statistics.

There are many beauties and benefits to frum life, but that does not mean secular lives are without beauty and inherently bad either.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:36 am
I can’t fathom a normal person becoming frum because of shtisel. It’s a great show but does not glamorize a religious lifestyle imo

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
Very revealing about Libi, that shed take one person's negativity as the Gospel.

Huh? Did she harm you in some way? Why are you looking to reveal things about her?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Huh? Did she harm you in some way? Why are you looking to reveal things about her?

No, no way, Chas v Shalom.

"but then she acted in another movie (Felix and Meira) with an actor who had previously been frum and he let her know how terrible frum life really is."

Shes a Rhodes scholar, clearly Einstein caliber brilliant, to form such a definitive conclusion, after speaking to one OTD person, hahahahahaha.

She should be nominated for a Nobel Prize.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:

"but then she acted in another movie (Felix and Meira) with an actor who had previously been frum and he let her know how terrible frum life really is."

Shes a Rhodes scholar, clearly Einstein caliber brilliant, to form such a definitive conclusion, after speaking to one OTD person, hahahahahaha.

How do you think she'd feel about frum life after reading your posts about her?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:

She should be nominated for a Nobel Prize.

People tend to make judgments about extremely insular groups based on their experiences with someone from that group. It's very difficult to experience frum life unless you entirely immense yourself in it for a significant enough time period that would allow you to pick up on social nuances. I'm not saying her information was correct, but that it is hard to blame someone for judging a minority group someone does not have access to based on someone from the group. Also, who is to say this information (that she decided to not investigate a frum life based on a co-actor) is even accurate? BTW, just to play devil's advocate - wouldn't it be just as "brilliant" to change your religious beliefs based on a television show?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
How do you think she'd feel about frum life after reading your posts about her?

If the quote is true and she judged all frum people and/or their lifestyle by what one OTD person had to say, shed feel about me about the same as I feel I have the right to feel about her for stupidly passing judgement on my lifestyle and calling it terrible, after speaking to one OTD person.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
If the quote is true and she judged all frum people and/or their lifestyle by what one OTD person had to say, shed feel about me about the same as I feel I have the right to feel about her for stupidly passing judgement on my lifestyle and calling it terrible, after speaking to one OTD person.

She'd probably feel that she made the right call about frum people.

You're really reading a whole lot into a quote. She had some small spark of 'yes maybe I'll take on more mitzvot' - and then changed her mind. This happens to people. She didn't learn with a Rav - she was an actress on a TV show.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
She'd probably feel that she made the right call about frum people.

You're really reading a whole lot into a quote. She had some small spark of 'yes maybe I'll take on more mitzvot' - and then changed her mind. This happens to people. She didn't learn with a Rav - she was an actress on a TV show.

True, but anyone with the intelligence of a high school student, knows not to jump to negative conclusions about a group after talking to any one person.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics