Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
If you are tech savvy please help

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:44 pm
I have two users on my home computer. One for myself and my husband, the other for my kids. I disabled internet access on the kids sign in. They just discovered that when they are playing a game and they click help it gives an option to "get more games online". When they click on that they first get a popup that says parental controls, cannot access. At the same time, behind the popup a webpage comes up with all different game options. When they close the popup they can access that page and then they they can go on any other website they want.

I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out, but now I'm stumped. I denied access to google chrome and internet explorer and I completely uninstalled mozilla firefox. I don't know how it's accessing the internet and how to stop it.

Please help me figure this out so I can let my kids use the computer unsupervised.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:54 pm
Maybe install k9. You can set the strictest setting to only allow certain sites.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 3:31 pm
Blocking access to chrome/Firefox/ie is simply blocking specific programs that access the internet.

Apparently this help utility is another means to access the internet and there may be other ways too. (What of you type in a web address into the address bar?) As mentioned by causemommysaid, you need a real password protected filter, like k9.

You may also want to put some protection on the router to prevent them from accessing your WiFi using another device...

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:40 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Maybe install k9. You can set the strictest setting to only allow certain sites.

I have k9, but I can't figure out how to set different settings for different users. That was the first thing I tried to do.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
Blocking access to chrome/Firefox/ie is simply blocking specific programs that access the internet.

Apparently this help utility is another means to access the internet and there may be other ways too. (What of you type in a web address into the address bar?) As mentioned by causemommysaid, you need a real password protected filter, like k9.

You may also want to put some protection on the router to prevent them from accessing your WiFi using another device...

That's what I'm trying to figure out. How can I block this utility or any other one from accessing the internet?

I specifically have DSL, not wifi, so I shouldn't have that issue, but thanks.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 5:56 pm
Honestly, ur best bet is to get them their own device like a tablet and install k9 with complete lockdown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children