Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you do about the insane amount of nosh your kids get
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:53 pm
On Purim I make sure they eat a healthy meal for breakfast. What happens after is not in my control.

After Purim they put all their nosh in a bag. They eat 0-2 things a day. After a few days they don’t even look at it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:23 pm
We sit down and eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and even pre-seuda dinner for my kids with all real food. In between they can eat whatever they want.
At the end of Purim, I put all the candy in a bag and ration out for Shabbos dessert. The small baked goods go on the counter and large baked goods go in the freezer.
Chips go in the pantry and are given out sporadically. Drinks are given on Shabbos.

giselle

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 6:37 pm
I eat it Wink

Shuly

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 3:45 pm
I let them eat it for 2 days straight. Then when they were feeling sick of nosh at the end of the second day, I asked who would rather get a mitzvah by donating their nosh instead of eating it. They happily filled a bag with most of their junk.
The trick is to drop off that bag right away because by the next morning, they will want some of it back!

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:22 pm
Anything my kids didn't want or we really didn't want them to have (mondo, candy spray, etc) went straight in a bag to donate to a local organization that collects it. I let each kid pick out a few items that they wanted to have over the course of this weekend and the rest got divided up by category and packed away in the cupboard for Shabbos party treats for the next few months.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:33 pm
We divide all nosh into 3 categories- snacky, chocolate, and candy.
Snacky, they take one or two a day until it's used up.
Candy, they each store in their own box. One erev Shabbos right before licht, one Shabbos afternoon, and occasional treat. It lasts quite some time (we sell chametz). They trust us that we don't touch their junk so they're willing to save it and eat it slow.
Sodas they open one before Shabbos and store it in the fridge for Shabbos. (we don't open cans or bottles on Shabbos).

My parents used to throw out our stuff right after Purim, and I remember frantically stuffing junk in my mouth before they could take it.

My system relies on mutual agreements. I control the amount and pace the nosh gets eaten, they know I won't throw it out.

mango

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:47 pm
Thanks for this thread, deff gave me food for thought! I have been trying to come up with a better system. My kids each had a box with all there Nosh they received the constant trading and rummaging through it was driving me crazy. When they came home from school Friday I went through each box individually with each child and separated and they now each have a ziplock bag on top of the fridge and when I let they can pick something from it. It's still too much though. I think we are going to put it away for Shabbos party for the next long while.
Side note: why do ppl feel the need to give out so much junk to kids?! My 3 yr old does not need the amount of candy she has. I'm not the kind of mom that never let's them have candy they get every Shabbos, Shabbos party etc but this is too much...

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:19 pm
seeker wrote:
So I would love to do that but I'm worried that it would be a big negative in my relationship to my children. They know perfectly well that their friends gave them nosh, and family friends gave the family nosh, and they would definitely feel cheated if I were to take it away from them. I don't know how people get away with this, do your kids just have very different personalities than mine?!

Yeah, it's a really bad idea.

My mom did this every year and we still resent it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:26 pm
I let them eat a few things on Purim. I told them that I am going to go through whatever they got and sort it out. We ended up throwing out some of it. I kept some of the stuff I thought they would like. And sorted it between chips candy chocolates etc.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:36 pm
seeker wrote:
So I would love to do that but I'm worried that it would be a big negative in my relationship to my children. They know perfectly well that their friends gave them nosh, and family friends gave the family nosh, and they would definitely feel cheated if I were to take it away from them. I don't know how people get away with this, do your kids just have very different personalities than mine?!

We get away with it not because of our kids personalities but because we never have this stuff in our house at all, all year, and they know there is no way it’s staying here.
I know they get this junk at school, shul, friends anyway but I at least can make sure what they eat here is healthy. It’s just always been like this so they’re not shocked to wake up and find it all gone.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 5:45 pm
Nosh from friends is their's to put in a bag and eat as they like. Family nash I sort through-eat what I want, donate what's closed packaged, keep some for Shabbos party. It always works out. My kids only get 3 noshes from me from Shabbos party (school I can't control) so if they go crazy once a year, so be it.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:30 pm
This year, several kids gave my girls toys instead of nosh.
One daughter got an adorable little box of macaron erasers.
Another daughter got a cupcake- shaped carton filled with little party favors: super balls, keychains, etc.

I think I'll do the same next year
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics