Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Why don't label home baked goods

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:25 pm
I love home baked goods but have some serious food allergies and it really bothers me to have to throw stuff out because people don't write what's inside. Just a simple contains nuts / peanuts would save a lot of Baal tashchis.

Reality

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:36 pm
I agree with you that people should label home baked goods pareve etc..

I also think that if you have serious allergies you should skip other people's home baked things anyway. Why take the chance?

simba

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:38 pm
Agree.
Label should include:
what the item is
what type of oven it’s baked in michig/ pareve
Allergy info

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:43 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I love home baked goods but have some serious food allergies and it really bothers me to have to throw stuff out because people don't write what's inside. Just a simple contains nuts / peanuts would save a lot of Baal tashchis.

IMNSHO, if you have serious allergies, you should skip home-baked goods unless you can quiz the person on what they put into it. The fact is that no one without similar allergies will know about all of the things that might include whatever it is that you're allergic to, or be as aware of cross-contamination.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:48 pm
In my community the modus operandi seems to be that if unlabeled, you assume pareve and nut-free. Otherwise items are marked dairy, contains nut, etc. I have not seen people label eggs though, for egg allergy.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 12:49 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
In my community the modus operandi seems to be that if unlabeled, you assume pareve and nut-free. Otherwise items are marked dairy, contains nut, etc. I have not seen people label eggs though, for egg allergy.

Yup.

Simple1

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:27 pm
It's a good idea. But OTOH, Purim is so hectic with so many things to consider (just look at all the posts about MM preferences etc) it's not so easy to get it perfect for everyone.

Simple1

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:27 pm
sarahmalka wrote:

I never heard of assuming something is nut-free.

teachkids

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:31 pm
I label if I include nuts, but wouldn't label nut free unless I know I was careful to avoid cross-contamination.
I do label the meat/dairy status, but assume anything I get unlabeled is pareve.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 1:31 pm
sarahmalka wrote:

Maybe. But if someone has a severe nut allergy, they shouldn't rely on that.

Even it looks that good, call the person who gave it and ask.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:19 pm
With cross contamination I would let it in the house for someone else to eat vs something made with peanut butter no one can eat around me.

dankbar

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:30 pm
Most of chocos/home baked goodies I got for mm contained nuts & we have nut allergies.
Most homemade didn't have labels that it has nuts

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 11:36 pm
We also have severe allergies in our home. I don't expect people to know what those allergies are or to specifically be looking out for allergens when baking for a large crowd. So it would really be impossible to label appropriately for everyone's potential allergies. I assume that all home made items are off limits for anyone in my family who's allergic, unless I ask specific questions to the person who made it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics