Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone decide to stay in / move to Brooklyn and HAPPY with..
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:28 pm
their decision?

We are considering a move out of town and would like to hear from anyone currently living in Brooklyn who is happy here / sees positives to living here vs. moving out?

Thanks!

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
their decision?

We are considering a move out of town and would like to hear from anyone currently living in Brooklyn who is happy here / sees positives to living here vs. moving out?

Thanks!

Yes I like living in Brooklyn for numerous reasons, one being that I can’t stand the thought of the out of town inconveniences like very little nightlife and stores closing down early...

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:32 pm
I’m very happy in Brooklyn bh

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:42 pm
Why would you assume that everyone in Brooklyn is unhappy there? People have different priorities, and for some, the benefits outweigh any potential cons so they're happy to stay.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
Why would you assume that everyone in Brooklyn is unhappy there? People have different priorities, and for some, the benefits outweigh any potential cons so they're happy to stay.

]

I'm not assuming that everyone is unhappy, just wondering what specific pros to living here tipped their decision.

gold21

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:48 pm
Do you have family in Bklyn?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 8:51 pm
You dont need 2 cars.

Thats money monthly.

Some in BP dont have even one car, and rely on public transportation and car services.

But their rent is high.

I used to think that BP rent was unusually high until I checked and saw that in the entire Brooklyn you cant find a 3 bedroom apartment for less than $2,000, even in the unsafe neighborhoods its that much from what I saw online.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:08 pm
Very happy in Brooklyn BH.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:12 pm
We left Brooklyn because we couldn't afford living there. I now have a house three times the size of the apartment we would probably still be living in. But if you can afford it... I guess it's like every place. Some pluses, some minuses.

dankbar

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:14 pm
This is an interesting twist the way you ask your question. If you are planning to move OOT, rather ask if anyone moved from Brooklyn to OOT, what changes to expect, or what adjustments will need to be made, like conveniences that were taken for granted in Brooklyn which you don't have OOT

Last edited by dankbar on Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:15 pm
I would live in Brooklyn if I could. Cheap takeout. Easy tznius shopping. Family. School choices. What's not to love.

Rappel

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:15 pm
My friends love living close to their parents.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 9:19 pm
My husband and I both have siblings that moved out of Brooklyn. That being said we have older kids and dh wants to stay in Brooklyn for chinuch reasons. Also we don’t own a car here tution is cheaper and I’m close to my parents.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:11 pm
The only benefit you get going out of town is bigger living space. Everything else is more expensive.
Tuition, food, property tax, second car etc... are usually more expensive when you go out of Brooklyn. Sometimes a change in income needs to factored in as well.
We've done the numbers a million times over. Life won't be cheaper if we move away from Brooklyn. But we'll have a bigger living space. That's why we're considering it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
The only benefit you get going out of town is bigger living space. Everything else is more expensive.
Tuition, food, property tax, second car etc... are usually more expensive when you go out of Brooklyn. Sometimes a change in income needs to factored in as well.
We've done the numbers a million times over. Life won't be cheaper if we move away from Brooklyn. But we'll have a bigger living space. That's why we're considering it.

Yup I totally agree with this. U get more for the money in rent or buying. Like u said everything else is more expensive so for now we r staying in Brooklyn

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 23 2019, 10:37 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I would live in Brooklyn if I could. Cheap takeout. Easy tznius shopping. Family. School choices. What's not to love.

I could think of a few things not to love.

An attached 3 bedroom starter house with a share driveway in certain areas is close to a million.
Parking is a nightmare.
Very few ashkinaz families are moving in. It is very likely that the dynamics of the neighborhood will be drastically different in 10-15 years as the population ages with younger families not living there anymore.

ludicrous

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:33 am
Can I chime in even though I moved out of Brooklyn for certain reasons, and I am very happy that I did, but I miss the convinience of Brooklyn. Day to day life is so much easier when you can phone in grocery orders, the pharmacy delivers, you basically have everything that you need in a small radius. I miss those things very much.

creditcards

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 1:53 am
Do you consider Lakewood out of town?
My house is much bigger than Boro Park
I can phone in orders and get pharmacy deliveries. Tuition is almost the same as in Brooklyn.
Family moved along with me.
Transportation is more here but it's not a major expense. Car insurance is cheaper here. Gas is cheaper. Grocery is a little more expensive here. Clothing is the same. There are some stores open at night here. As more people move there will be more stores and more competition and more stores open at night. I don't miss Boro Park at all. Parking is easier here. Getting home late at night with all kids sleeping is much easier when the car is parked right next to the door. Garbage pick up takes getting used to. It's only picked up once a week. Weather is a drop warmer, my kids get to use their summer clothing a bit longer. Allergy is the same. My kids pediatrician I really miss from Boro Park. Other medical Dr I have better here. Dr for myself is better here. Hospital to give birth is a real winner here.
Whatever place you live there will be pros and cons.
Just choose a place you can afford a house and after you get settled you will find all the pros and get used to the cons.

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:11 am
ludicrous wrote:
Can I chime in even though I moved out of Brooklyn for certain reasons, and I am very happy that I did, but I miss the convinience of Brooklyn. Day to day life is so much easier when you can phone in grocery orders, the pharmacy delivers, you basically have everything that you need in a small radius. I miss those things very much.

I live in an OOT suburb and I also miss the convenience you’re talking about. However, now that we have Instacart and Amazon Prime Now, I don’t miss it as much. I can order a load of groceries/cleaning supplies/pharmacy items and have it delivered in less than 2 hours.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
I could think of a few things not to love.

An attached 3 bedroom starter house with a share driveway in certain areas is close to a million.
Parking is a nightmare.
Very few ashkinaz families are moving in. It is very likely that the dynamics of the neighborhood will be drastically different in 10-15 years as the population ages with younger families not living there anymore.

I hate to have to agree but this gives me pause.
I know young families in Brooklyn who have family, friends, schools, shuls. Everything you need. But the real estate situation is what drives most people out.

I won't tell you not to move, especially if you have a good job and family/community to move into. But I'd love to see Brooklyn flourish. There is so much I like about it. (And yes, I'm an inveterate out of towner and my next - and hopefully in the very near future - move, is most likely to be Moshiach. But still.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating