Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Mishloach Manos with out any Hechsher

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:48 am
I received a Mishloach Manos from a well known jewish organization, that probably sent out hundreds of the same baskets. They had obviously hired a jewish company to package these baskets. There was not a Hechsher anywhere in the basket , nor when visiting their website, is there any Hechsher listed. It is a clearly frum business though.
In addition, after a Fleishig meal, I took a bite into a piece of chocolate bark, and immediately tasted that it was dairy tasting. Upon closer examination, the fancy description described "heavy cream" mixed with chocolate, but still no mention of dairy.
In today's day in age, when so many thousands of food items bear an obvious kosher certification, why would a frum company omit it and be negligent in marking food as Dairy.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:57 am
Because they assume being that they are a frum organization - you trust them... and that you can read labels.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:06 am
So all the food was repackaged, and nothing had labels indicating dairy? That's not great. In the future, always assume that chocolate is dairy unless labeled pareve.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:08 am
There was no labeling whatsoever. It's really strange.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:10 am
If there was open not packaged food then that is just wrong. I would shoot an email to the organization.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
There was no labeling whatsoever. It's really strange.

There was a label on the chocolate that said that it had heavy cream in it.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:11 am
At least there were ingredients listed but it sounds odd. You can email the company with your complaint.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:23 am
You should definitely contact the organization so they can improve for next time.

I also got something from an organization (not the same because no chocolate) that had a label with the brand of the contents but it wasn't a full label with ingredients etc. I didn't notice whether it had a hechsher (it's a well known kosher brand) because once there's no ingredients label it's out of my house due to allergies.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:23 am
I don't understand. What kind of food was it? None of it was in store packaging?

cm

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:28 am
Items purchased in bulk may be individually wrapped but not labeled for retail sale, so missing some of the details. That's the most likely explanation.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:50 am
Op here.
It was from a fancy food gifting company based in Lakewood. It was all repackaged food, with the gift companys logo and dramatic explanations. No ingredient list or kosher certification or Dairy label.
It's a really unfortunate experience and I did email the company. Still waiting for a response.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
I don't understand. What kind of food was it? None of it was in store packaging?
mine was rugelach, hamentaschen, cookies type things, arranged in a box, shrink wrapped, with a sticker from the baked goods company but no nutrition/ingredients label.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:26 pm
Mine was a bag of candied popcorn, no company name or ingredients or hechsher in sight and a small plastic wrapped package of two chocolate bark squares with marshmallows stuck on them. No ingredients, no company name, no Hechsher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics