Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working from home

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:25 am
Does your company have a policy for when employees work from home?

For example kids are sick or for whatever reason you can’t come into work and you work from home instead.

Do you get paid in full as if you came into the office?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:42 am
I'm an attorney at a large law firm. I don't know if there is a policy, but most of my colleagues work from home on those occasions when they need to, including me. It doesn't affect our pay in any way. Just like we don't get paid more when we have work on a weekend or at night.

That being said, it's not realistic for someone in my field to expect a productive and full day of working from home while caring for a child. On days that I've had to stay home with a sick toddler, I'm lucky if I can bill 3 hours. So I use PTO or make up the work time after my husband comes home to take over childcare.

Many employers who have official work-from-home policies will actually require the employee to promise that their children will not be at home during that time, or that they have a caregiver hired to care for any children at home during working hours.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:11 am
I used to work at an accounting job where it was no problem to work from home if a kid was sick. However like the previous poster it is nearly impossible to get the billable hours in...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 12:19 pm
I used to run my own business from home. Most of it was computer work. Honestly, my most productive hours were only when the baby would be napping from around 11-1:30 and after my kids went to sleep at night. It’s very hard to get things done efficiently when kids are around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics