Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do people wear at a Pesach hotel?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:16 pm
We are going to a Pesach hotel for the first time and I was wondering how people usually dress there, in terms of yom tov and chol hamoed.
Are people makpid on wearing fancy clothing on chol hamoed as well?
I've never done this before LOL

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:22 pm
What do you mean by "fancy"? I have close friends who go to Pesach hotels each year and gave me the rundown.

It's okay just to wear nice tops and skirts. You don't have to buy dresses. You can buy simple sleeveless tops from Burlington Coat Factory or Macy's and match them with shells. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars at a frum store. The rule is, though, you should wear a different outfit for each meal. It's okay to wear the same outfit twice, though.

If you buy two nice costume necklaces (like at the Loft), you can make the outfit look much more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANN-T.....b6MjD

or this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-.....bPglv

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:30 pm
I’m not the type who’s has ever looked to her people in terms of what I do or wear. I’ve been going away for Pesach glen 25 years. I wear denim skirts on chol hamoed because that’s what I’m comfortable in. Many people dress nicer on chol hamoed than I do during the week.

kislev

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
What do you mean by "fancy"? I have close friends who go to Pesach hotels each year and gave me the rundown.

It's okay just to wear nice tops and skirts. You don't have to buy dresses. You can buy simple sleeveless tops from Burlington Coat Factory or Macy's and match them with shells. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars at a frum store. The rule is, though, you should wear a different outfit for each meal. It's okay to wear the same outfit twice, though.

If you buy two nice costume necklaces (like at the Loft), you can make the outfit look much more expensive.

What about on Shabbos, for shalashudis? Do you wear a different outfit then?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:34 pm
kislev wrote:
What about on Shabbos, for shalashudis? Do you wear a different outfit then?

Some people do. Some people don't. There's no rule.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:42 pm
No coming to meals in robes. Only dressed up with sheitels & heels I think. No slippers/crocs like at home

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:

or this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-.....bPglv

The “rule” is!? Who makes this rule? Is it in the Torah? Is it a set of rules that snooty people who look down on others make? I have never heard those rules before. Nor would I follow them. And not all of us want to “pretend” to be wearing nice outfits by wearing costume jewellery pieces. I have been to Pesach hotels and I did not feel the need to change each meal. I am sorry if that means you and your friends were looking down on me for not following your asinine rules.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:43 pm
there are no rules there is a range
wear your regular shabbos Y"T clothes
wear what you would usually wear chol hamoed

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:45 pm
dankbar wrote:
No coming to meals in robes. Only dressed up with sheitels & heels I think. No slippers/crocs like at home

This is not true at all. Some people follow this. There are also normal people who don’t dress up to the nines each meal. Some people on programs don’t wear sheitels and heels all the time. Please don’t feel pressured to dress like this because of a few posts by IMAs.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
The “rule” is!? Who makes this rule? Is it in the Torah? Is it a set of rules that snooty people who look down on others make? I have never heard those rules before. Nor would I follow them. And not all of us want to “pretend” to be wearing nice outfits by wearing costume jewellery pieces. I have been to Pesach hotels and I did not feel the need to change each meal. I am sorry if that means you and your friends were looking down on me for not following your asinine rules.

I'm not the another that posted this, but I think you need to relax. Pesach hotels are mostly filled with wealthy people. That's just how it is.. obviously it's not 100% of the clientele and there will be a difference between Pesach 4 less and KMR, but if someone's spending mucho $$$$ to celebrate Pesach in Puerto Vallarta, they're probably not wearing Sketchers to the meal, know what I mean?

OP asked what is the norm. The norm is that people dress up. Don't like it? Don't want to be a sheep that does what everyone else is doing just because everyone else is doing it? That's cool, but it doesn't make it less of a fact that that's what most people will be doing. You can get all righteously indignant about it, but at the last Pesach program I was at, if I showed up in a snood, people would look down on me. That's fine if that doesn't bother you, but don't go telling people it's fine to shoew up in a snood if the very fast that they're asking shows they care about fitting in.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:57 pm
I wasn't by pesach hotels but by other shabbatons in hotels where people dress up & don't come with robes to meals

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:58 pm
I have been going to Pesach hotels for years. Pesek zman is clearly the only person on this thread who's actually been to one LOL

There are no rules. Dress nicely for YT, just like you would if you were home and going to shul. I buy myself 1-2 new outfits for Pesach, not a whole wardrobe. No one at the hotel seems to have noticed most of my outfots are from past years. On chol hamoed, wear whatever you wear on chol hamoed. Some people have an inyan to wear Shabbos clothing on chol hamoed, so people may be a little dressed up, but it's not because they're snooty and it doesn't mean you have to do the same. I only wear tichels beshitta, and I almost never wear heels. Haven't been ostracized at a Pesach hotel yet LOL

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:59 pm
Not everyone changes for every meal, you can wear the same thing for morning and then night of the same day. Do what you want.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:02 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I'm not the another that posted this, but I think you need to relax. Pesach hotels are mostly filled with wealthy people. That's just how it is.. obviously it's not 100% of the clientele and there will be a difference between Pesach 4 less and KMR, but if someone's spending mucho $$$$ to celebrate Pesach in Puerto Vallarta, they're probably not wearing Sketchers to the meal, know what I mean?

OP asked what is the norm. The norm is that people dress up. Don't like it? Don't want to be a sheep that does what everyone else is doing just because everyone else is doing it? That's cool, but it doesn't make it less of a fact that that's what most people will be doing. You can get all righteously indignant about it, but at the last Pesach program I was at, if I showed up in a snood, people would look down on me. That's fine if that doesn't bother you, but don't go telling people it's fine to shoew up in a snood if the very fast that they're asking shows they care about fitting in.

Just because someone spends money on a hotel program, it doesn’t mean they will choose to wear fancy clothes. Not everyone prioritizes clothing when they spend their $$$.

I’ve been to several Pesach hotel programs. I don’t think everybody would have looked down on you for wearing a snood at all, I think your perception of what is expected is warped. I didn’t personally mention snoods, but at all the programs I have been on, many hair coverings were worn, not just sheitels. And you are right, I am proud not to be a sheep. The norm is that some people get dressed up all the time, probably those seeking validation from others. I would rather have an enjoyable and comfortable meal with my family than worry about what the fashionistas at the other tables think of me.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
We are going to a Pesach hotel for the first time and I was wondering how people usually dress there, in terms of yom tov and chol hamoed.
Are people makpid on wearing fancy clothing on chol hamoed as well?
I've never done this before LOL

Forget about what people wear, worry about what the halacha says, you’re supposed to wear bigdei Yom Tov on chol hamoed.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:38 pm
[quote="amother"]What do you mean by "fancy"? I have close friends who go to Pesach hotels each year and gave me the rundown.

It's okay just to wear nice tops and skirts. You don't have to buy dresses. You can buy simple sleeveless tops from Burlington Coat Factory or Macy's and match them with shells. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars at a frum store. The rule is, though, you should wear a different outfit for each meal. It's okay to wear the same outfit twice, though.]

Don’t be ridiculous, she doesn’t have to wear a different outfit at every meal, that would mean changing 3 times a day! Very few people do that at the hotels I was at...some hotsy totsy attention seekers might do that but most don’t.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:39 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I’m not the type who’s has ever looked to her people in terms of what I do or wear. I’ve been going away for Pesach glen 25 years. I wear denim skirts on chol hamoed because that’s what I’m comfortable in. Many people dress nicer on chol hamoed than I do during the week.

That’s because halacha is to wear yom top clothing on chol hamoed.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:46 pm
We went twice. We didn't have enough clothes to wear 2 different outfits each day though many people did. With 1 outfit per day we still needed many clothes plus extras in case we got stained.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:52 pm
I go every year. I wear whatever I want. I've gone to the meals in my snood and long skirts. I don't care what people think, it doesn't affect me at all. I would rather be comfortable for the long meals than be uncomfortable because some person I'll never see again might judge me. Do whatever you want. I have more respect for people that do what they want than those who follow the masses.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:54 pm
I've been to 6 different programs and most people wore an outfit a day, not a different outfit per meal.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics