Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please help me... I feel like I lost my child
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:04 pm
He was a cute, smart, creative little boy.
He was also defiant, demanding and impulsive. This became progressively worse as he grew up.
He is barely a young teen. Only weeks after his bar mitzvah and I feel like I basically lost him.
On the outside, he cut off his small peyos and gelled the front of his hair.
He walks around with the hood of his hoodie on almost all the time.
Who is this strange boy? I want my sweet, cute and even defiant boy back. That boy, though he gave me a hard time, was innocent.
This strange young man who is sleeping in my little boys bed was found to have bypassed our parental controls and accessed p*rn*graphy.
This strange young man who only a few years ago would cry for a lollipop now has an e-cigarette which I unfortunately found and now he no longer hides.
He uses the worst possible words which I have to pretend not to hear.
He is disrespectful to me and our family. Literally cursing us and speaking in the most inappropriate way imaginable.
How did this happen?? Where did our boy go? Is he gone forever? I’d like him back. I wish this intruder would leave!
How can we live with this monster? Have I buried my child forever?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:07 pm
Hugs and following. I think a lot to of people are unfortunately experiencing things Iike this. Crying for you, me, all of us.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:07 pm
Hug

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:08 pm
Your child shows signs of being abused. Would he agree to see a therapist?

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:12 pm
yksraya wrote:

That's nonsense and hurtful. I see this happening with boys trying to be cool. Young teens who come from nice homes rebel also.

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's nonsense and hurtful. I see this happening with boys trying to be cool. Young teens who come from nice homes rebel also.

Usually not at 13-14. And the watching p*rn part, he is a little too young for that unless he got abused...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:22 pm
I know you're hurting but please don't call him a monster. Crying

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:26 pm
yksraya wrote:

What do you mean by abused? Physically abused? Emotionally abused? s-xually abused?
He’s been seeing a therapist. Abuse was never mentioned.
Are you a therapist? Which symptoms are making you sure there was abuse?

malki2

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:36 pm
yksraya wrote:
Usually not at 13-14. And the watching p*rn part, he is a little too young for that unless he got abused...

That’s not true. Boys could get curious at that age. If he was shrewd enough to bypass the parental controls, he could have seen a lifetime’s worth. It happens. And being abused is not a prerequisite.

OP, does either you or your husband have an open relationship with him? You have to get through to him with acceptance and without incriminating him but getting him to understand that the p@rn is damaging his mind. He needs to break away from it as soon as possible.

However, as you describe it, that he is cursing at you, the relationship does not seem so good. But hopefully I am wrong.

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
What do you mean by abused? Physically abused? Emotionally abused? s-xually abused?
He’s been seeing a therapist. Abuse was never mentioned.
Are you a therapist? Which symptoms are making you sure there was abuse?

It's easier to call him a monster than to notice he is troubled. What exactly troubles him is your job to get to the bottom of. But clearly this is not the usual behavior for a boy his age. Although some of you would disagree with me.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:03 pm
I think you should stop dramatizing the situation and not speak about him as if he's a stranger. He's your son. That will never change. If you show him that you love him no matter what, maybe he will open up. But treating him like a stranger will push him away.
An e cigarette isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world. A hoodie is irrelevant and the only thing I would be strict about is the disrespectful behavior towards you and the rest of your family.

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:04 pm
malki2 wrote:
That’s not true. Boys could get curious at that age. If he was shrewd enough to bypass the parental controls, he could have seen a lifetime’s worth. It happens. And being abused is not a prerequisite.

OP, does either you or your husband have an open relationship with him? You have to get through to him with acceptance and without incriminating him but getting him to understand that the p@rn is damaging his mind. He needs to break away from it as soon as possible.

However, as you describe it, that he is cursing at you, the relationship does not seem so good. But hopefully I am wrong.

Maybe boys are curious. But then why the rest of the behavior. I'll say it again. 13 is a little young for this kind of rebellion.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:06 pm
You will never have your son back if you refer to him as a monster.
Everything about him screams pain. There could be so many reasons why.
As others mentioned abuse
Most of all though his behavior is pointing to a rupture in your relationship. Going way back to when you referred to him as demanding defiant and impulsive. There is a breach of trust there. He is afraid. He is in heartrending soul-crushing pain. Maybe if for just a minute you stopped thinking about your own pain you will see the hurt little boy hiding beneath that hood.
He is young. Barely into his teens. There is hope for repair. But only, only if you’re willing to take a good hard look at yourself and your relationship with him. Only if you’re willing to put your own pride aside and listen. To apologize if needed. Don’t cast your little boy away because of your ego.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:07 pm
yksraya wrote:
It's easier to call him a monster than to notice he is troubled. What exactly troubles him is your job to get to the bottom of. But clearly this is not the usual behavior for a boy his age. Although some of you would disagree with me.

Why wouldn't it be? What's not normal about it? Teens are testing boundaries. Besides it's scary growing up .. everything changes. So they act out. I think it's perfectly normal but some things are just not okay.. like disrespecting parents.
Besides 13/14 is NOT too young to get curious about p-orn. If he was 8/9 it would be too early. 13/14 is exactly the right age. When do you think they start thinking about it? 18?

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
Why wouldn't it be? What's not normal about it? Teens are testing boundaries. Besides it's scary growing up .. everything changes. So they act out. I think it's perfectly normal but some things are just not okay.. like disrespecting parents.
Besides 13/14 is NOT too young to get curious about p-orn. If he was 8/9 it would be too early. 13/14 is exactly the right age. When do you think they start thinking about it? 18?

It's not just the p*rn part. It's the whole description.

Unfortunately, the only times teens that young (as far as I know- and I know a lot) show such behavior, they come from dysfunctional homes or where abused in any which way. Or he went through trauma etc.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:27 pm
I'll say every thing that I think based on my own experiences. Feel free to ignore my post. It's your child, your call your pain. I'm not judging you just trying to help.

Why was abuse not mentioned with this therapist?
I think its important to know that no, not all boys want to be cool in such a way. There's either a learning disability ADHD or abuse involved when a boy so young is involved in [filth].
There's a void that he's trying to fill. Sometimes the void is an unmedicated mood disorder.

It seems like you never got a real proffessional diagnosis.

Please get him and yourself to a good therapist. Call Mr. Kesner from Relief for a referral.
Hugs.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:01 pm
There was [filth] going around my DHS class at that age. His older brother had some magazines hidden under the bed... It is naive to assume a 13/14 year old boy who knows what [filth] is has been abused.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:10 pm
13 year old boys are known to be crazy h*rny. Looking at [filth] at that age, while not desirable in many ways, is also normal.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:13 pm
yksraya wrote:

Not really....

saralem

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:55 pm
Whatever you do, do NOT throw him out. Hold him close to you no matter what. As hard as that sounds it’s the only way.
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics