Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Chol Hamoed overnight
1  2  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:00 pm
I know it's a bit early to plan chol hamoed, but we want to do an extended family overnight trip. Where's a nice place to go to that's not very far from NY and easy enough for pregnant women??

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:32 pm
Are you bringing any kids, and if so, what ages? What types of activities are you looking for, and do you need a minyan? Cherry Hill/Philly has lots of great activities. Farther is DC, Boston, or Newport. Any of those interest you?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 4:36 pm
Minyan not a must. Kids are 20 months, 6,7,10,17,19.
With 4 couples.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 5:51 pm
Not the OP. But looking into the same idea. Can you give more ideas of what to do in each of these places?

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:31 pm
Philly/Cherry Hill - Camden Aquarium, Franklin Institute, Eastern State Penitentiary, US Mint (free), Betsy Ross House, Jewish-American Museum (cooler than it sounds), Please Touch Museum, Philly Zoo

DC - Zoo, Smithsonians (many, all free), Ford's Theater, Spy Museum (very cool), White House, Capitol, Newseum, Bureau of Engraving

Boston - amazing science museum, Duck Boat tour, aquarium, great children's museum, Boston Tea Party reenactment

Baltimore - children's museum, science museum, Fort McHenry, aquarium, Inner Harbor (submarine tour)

Newport - mansions + Touro Synagogue + Cliff Walk

Farther could be Norfolk/Virginia Beach- weather should be much nicer, amazing ropes course, maritime museum + wonderful boat tour of naval base, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg + Yorktown and Jamestown

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:17 pm
Thank you doctorima, we will look into all of what you mentioned!
Is there what to do in Lancaster this time of the year?
More idea's welcome!

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:50 pm
The two best attractions in Lancaster - Dutch Wonderland and Cherry Crest Farm - will not be open Chol Hamoed. You could still find things to do there, but for me, it wouldn't be worth going there without those activities, especially when there are so many other better options that are running at full strength.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:51 pm
How do you know they will not be open?
I see that it's Easter week, all places will probably be jam packed.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:59 pm
We just rented a house in Virginia Beach for three days chol hamoed. Right on the beach. There is a minyan there. We checked with chabad. We are planning on doing a ropes course, Busch gardens, and the beach. Maybe some colonial Williamsburg as well. It's 7 hours from NY.
Last year we did three days in ocean City Maryland and it was great! 4 hours from NY.

mom!

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:23 pm
Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, Boston, Castskills, are the first that come to mind.

doctorima

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
How do you know they will not be open?
I see that it's Easter week, all places will probably be jam packed.

https://www.dutchwonderland.co.....endar
https://www.cherrycrestfarm.co.....icing

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
We just rented a house in Virginia Beach for three days chol hamoed. Right on the beach. There is a minyan there. We checked with chabad. We are planning on doing a ropes course, Busch gardens, and the beach. Maybe some colonial Williamsburg as well. It's 7 hours from NY.
Last year we did three days in ocean City Maryland and it was great! 4 hours from NY.

Is there a 3x/day minyan chol hamoed in Ocean City, MD, and if so, where can I get more info about it?

sky

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:11 pm
Somewhat near cherry hill is Hagley museum. My kids really enjoy that. They are part of the museum membership program. I think you can but there and also use at Delaware children museum or cherry hill museum. I forget which has an exception for it. You cannot use at please touch because they are too close.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:26 pm
Does anyone know of any that are offering food? (I remember last year seeing a washington hotel advertised and this succos we went to coco key and bought food there but I havent seen any this pesach chol hamoed yet)

shanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:55 am
Food in these places?
Food in Virginia Beach?

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:59 am
Lake george

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:00 am
amother wrote:

What’s in ocean city Maryland?

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:39 am
There's no ready-made KLP food available in Virginia Beach. People going there bring their own. I don't know if Lake George has a minyan Chol Hamoed (they don't have a weekday minyan year-round, though perhaps for Pesach they do). Depending on the weather, it may still be a little too chilly to properly enjoy it.

For those willing to drive farther, also look into Niagara (where Chabad has a full program advertised) and Pittsburgh.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:42 am
doctorima wrote:
There's no ready-made KLP food available in Virginia Beach. People going there bring their own. I don't know if Lake George has a minyan Chol Hamoed (they don't have a weekday minyan year-round, though perhaps for Pesach they do). Depending on the weather, it may still be a little too chilly to properly enjoy it.

For those willing to drive farther, also look into Niagara (where Chabad has a full program advertised) and Pittsburgh.

Is chabad advertising this year for Pittsburgh? I only saw Niagara

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:50 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
What’s in ocean city Maryland?

Not much. We rented a gorgeous Six bedroom townhouse that had an indoor pool as part of the complex. The kids loved that.
The first day we stopped at a ropes course halfway thru the trip and we did that. Then drove to ocean City and made BBQ for supper.
Second day: went to see wild horses. Was really interesting and then older ppl did a paintball game while kids went swimming
Third day: spent on the beach boardwalk...rented bike. Surrey's and segways.
We bbqed every night and played games and did a movie night.
Was really fun
There was a minyan three times a day. U have to call chadad though to see when the timing is.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics