Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Will Shtisel on Netflix awaken a spark in anyone
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Will Shtisel on Netflix bring about Baalei Tshuva?
No, not at all, its only a show.  
 43%  [ 26 ]
People might change their opinions of religious people to a small degree, but not enough to make changes in level of religion.  
 48%  [ 29 ]
I think some people will make small changes in their level of religious practice, but nothing major.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I think some people will be affected enough to adopt a more religious lifestyle.  
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
True, but anyone with the intelligence of a high school student, knows not to jump to negative conclusions about a group after talking to any one person.

Red: You are saying some really horrible things about this woman based on one line you read on social media.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Red: You are saying some really horrible things about this woman based on one line your read on social media.

Definitely, assuming those words are accurate only.

For all I know shes on her way to becoming a BT, because she feels totally opposite of what was mentioned upthread.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Definitely, assuming those words are accurate only.

For all I know shes on her way to becoming a BT, because she feels totally opposite of what was mentioned upthread.

So why all the bad mouthing? What middah is that?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:28 pm
That's weird I know of only one Jewish guy who committed suicide. He wasn't frum at that point anymore. Do just to clarify the above poster knows many frum yidden who have committed suicide?

Basically every non Jew I know has a high school classmate or two who committed suicide, drugs are common and not talked about all hush hush like you would if your kid was doing it. Kids playing violent video games for hours on end extremely common, divorce infidelity everyone's been through some form of it. 4 of my coworkers had teen pregnancies (no not married) and more of them were/are single moms. So yeah but I feel so lucky to have been raised and be raising a family in the wholesome environment I'm in.

I work in a middle class field so you're getting a picture of your average Joe out there. My husband is in finance and says he sees a VERY different crowd. I guess with yiddishkeit you dont have to be well to do to have higher moral standards.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
That's weird I know of only one Jewish guy who committed suicide. He wasn't frum at that point anymore. Do just to clarify the above poster knows many frum yidden who have committed suicide?

Basically every non Jew I know has a high school classmate or two who committed suicide, drugs are common and not talked about all hush hush like you would if your kid was doing it. Kids playing violent video games for hours on end extremely common, divorce infidelity everyone's been through some form of it. 4 of my coworkers had teen pregnancies (no not married) and more of them were/are single moms. So yeah but I feel so lucky to have been raised and be raising a family in the wholesome environment I'm in.

I work in a middle class field so you're getting a picture of your average Joe out there. My husband is in finance and says he sees a VERY different crowd. I guess with yiddishkeit you dont have to be well to do to have higher moral standards.

I am not that poster but I know at least 4 frum people who have committed suicide.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
I am not that poster but I know at least 4 frum people who have committed suicide.

Oy. ; - (

Im in my sixties, and live in the "Chulent Tup" of Boro Park, and have lived here pretty much all my life, from the 60s, and EVERY single person I know well enough to know clearly the circumstances of their death, and thats HUNDREDS at my age, died of illness, unrelated to suicide, without any doubt.

Do you know the reasons that the people you know, committed suicide?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:

You are making strange assumptions, maybe based on the nonJewish population in your area.
I grew up secular and went to nonJewish schools. People may have been doing drugs but I never saw anyone close up - no one in my social circle. Now that I am almost 50, a lot of my peers smoke marijuana recreationally here and there - but definitely no hard drugs, and if you ask me, no more dangerous than the alcohol prevalent in some frum communities (among the men).
Teen pregnancies - one girls I vaguely knew from French class had a teen pregnancy. That's it. Out of 50 years of my life. Probably more got pregnant and had abortions, but that's a different topic.

And divorce infidelity - you must be kidding. EVERYONE has been through some form of it? I haven't, no one in my family has. It exists, but this is one thing I am convinced is just as common in the frum world. Just look at this forum!

BTW, we were lower middle class, and now I am regular middle class.

ETA - no one I know personally committed suicide, b'h.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
True, but anyone with the intelligence of a high school student, knows not to jump to negative conclusions about a group after talking to any one person.

And also knows not to jump to frum life because of a TV show.
It goes both ways.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
And also knows not to jump to frum life because of a TV show.
It goes both ways.

True.

Further research always makes sense.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
Take, for instance, even despicable Lipa, he, unlike many husbands who pick up and leave, never to return, came back because he felt bad for Gitty and the kids.

That compares well to many husbands who stay with their often younger "honeys" and dont give a flying ---- about their families.

Although in the secular world being a single mother is less of a problem, because most women are independent, and theres less stigma about divorce.

Compares well??? Wow you really expect nothing from men do you? In comparison to a secular guy, lipa doesn't have the struggle of seeing gorgeous half naked girls every day at work or having women flirt with him. AND STILL he ran away. So what he came back? Who wants that trash? I would have kicked him out and sent him back to South America.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:18 am
amother wrote:

I don't know what kind of people you know. I grew up not frum in a very non Jewish area and I work with mostly non Jews now. Back in high school some teens smoked weed but I'm not in touch with them now so I don't know what they are up to. The people I work with,they are all married besides one lady who is a widow. They have several kids, none of them do drugs or drink too much. All they do is smoke cigarettes which the characters of the show did aswell.
There are some messed up people in the frum word aswell. Of course divorce is more common on the non Jewish world... They don't have 5-10 kids to worry about and the women and men usually have better earning potential which makes divorce less scary. Which isn't a bad thing.. it would be good if frum women weren't stuck in terrible marriages.

I think this typical frum mindset "everything is so much better, we don't have problems with divorce, drugs, alcohol etc" is so bad. There definitely are people in the frum world who have major issues it's JUST NOT talked about because everyone is scared of people knowing/problems in shidduchim etc. You don't have that in the secular world. If 2 people fall in love, they'll still get married even if the brother or sister has issues.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:38 am
It didn't awake sparks in Israel, AFAIK, although the show was well-loved.

If anything, people saw it and felt sorry for how trapped the characters are.

Akiva is trapped between his community/father and his art and romantic desires.
Lipa and his wife are trapped in a bad marriage because of the absolute taboo of divorce.

Lipa's daughter makes very bad choices, because there are so few socially acceptable ways to escape your home or enjoy a relationship. In fact, there is only one acceptable way - marriage - and it's not what she needs.

The family and community here is shown as warm and endearing, but also as seriously stifling life choices and freedom. I can't see this attracting hordes of ba'alei tshuva.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
Oy. ; - (

Im in my sixties, and live in the "Chulent Tup" of Boro Park, and have lived here pretty much all my life, from the 60s, and EVERY single person I know well enough to know clearly the circumstances of their death, and thats HUNDREDS at my age, died of illness, unrelated to suicide, without any doubt.

Do you know the reasons that the people you know, committed suicide?

Believe me, some of those "heart attacks" you know about were caused by someone swallowing a bottle of pills. We are not immune to mental illness. The attitude of keeping shtum that lasted so long probably prevented people from getting the help they needed.

As for the tv series - I don't think it is likely to draw people to religious life, but if it makes religious Jews seem less foreign, that's a good thing.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 6:07 am
I thought that maybe the "Pintele Yid" of a Shtisel actor or two would be reawakened and theyd be impressed at least with some parts of the Charedi lifestyle. I was very wrong.

While doing promotional touring, with interviews all over the world, the Shtisel actors Ive heard, talk negatively of the Charedi lifestyle. I havent heard even one actor say something nice about the Charedi lifestyle.

The Shtisel Facebook group has many irreligious members, and even members who I believe arent religious felt that the actors were judgemetal of the Charedi lifestyle.

MrsMalka

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 10:50 pm
I know this is really old, but just wanted to say that Shtisel, Srugim, and a few thers shows & movies helped make me and my husband become frum. To this day, we have trouble with being frum because of social isolation, and Shtisel helps us hold onto the faith...

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 11:00 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I know this is really old, but just wanted to say that Shtisel, Srugim, and a few thers shows & movies helped make me and my husband become frum. To this day, we have trouble with being frum because of social isolation, and Shtisel helps us hold onto the faith...

I know exactly what you mean. Because of social isolation I also feel that I know them
what other movies and shows do you recommend?

MrsMalka

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 11:05 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. Because of social isolation I also feel that I know them
what other movies and shows do you recommend?

Srugim is good. Shababnikim too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 11:08 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Srugim is good. Shababnikim too.

watched it, thanks, anything else?

MrsMalka

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
watched it, thanks, anything else?

I feel like I'm forgetting something... I'll post here if I can remember