Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I’m mad! Why are ppl so selfish?
Previous  1  2  3

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:11 pm
I delay and space vaccinations too (I split each round of shots in half so I guess it takes me almost twice as long to finish all the shots). I understand the concept of delaying & spacing. But I would never have considered delaying the MMR in the middle of an outbreak. When there's an outbreak, delaying isn't an acceptable strategy. I mean.... No.... Just no.

When I first heard about the the measles outbreak in our communities (not in my neighborhood B"H, but in the frum world at large), I had a child over 12 months who had not yet received the MMR vaccine. (He was a few months past his first birthday.) I had slightly delayed it (still playing catch-up on previous shots) and was scheduled to be getting it shortly.

You bet I was at the doctor the next day for the MMR!! Like, first in the door, here's his arm, where's the immunization! Lol.

So, back to your original question, what your sister in law did is not OK. But you didn't do what you needed to do to protect your family either.

Laiya

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 2:34 pm
abound wrote:
many mothers deliberately exposed their children to chicken pox etc. they are not selfish, they have a diff mindset and they are entitled, but a mother who decides to expose her own kids is okay, a mother who decides to expose other ppls kids is WRONG, and selfish. They are two diff things. Most ppl who do not vaccinate would not leave their house with a child who is sick, that is a totally different thing than not vaccinating, don't lump it together.

Maybe selfish isn't the best word for someone who intentionally exposes their child to a preventable disease. That doesn't mean that the decision is valid. Maybe recklessly irresponsible is a kinder term? Poor kids.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:23 pm
I'm as pro-vax as they come but please don't bash OP for holding off vaccines for a kid with a weak immune system who is constantly getting sick. When kids get immunized when they are sick it is possible that the vaccine won't be as effective as it should be. And yes, there are kids who are succeptable to colds. I have one like that.

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:40 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I'm as pro-vax as they come but please don't bash OP for holding off vaccines for a kid with a weak immune system who is constantly getting sick. When kids get immunized when they are sick it is possible that the vaccine won't be as effective as it should be. And yes, there are kids who are succeptable to colds. I have one like that.

a child with a weak immune system either 1. is medically unable to receive vaccinations and therefore extreme caution must be exercised when around unvaxxed children OR 2. is medically able to receive vaccinations and must be vaccinated to avoid the possible complications of the disease ( even more so due to low immune system)

Im not as pro-vaxx as they come, actually, and am a big proponent of spacing shots. But not during an outbreak.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 22 2019, 4:52 pm
The governor of Kentucky recently exposed his nine children to chicken pox.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:23 am
Update... Gave my toddler the vaccine today. And pediatrician told me that that I shouldn’t be too worried about my baby since the rash was probably day 5 already and baby most likely still has immunity from me since he’s exclusively nursing. But I should still keep a close eye if any fever develops. Thanks you all for your ideas and support!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics