Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Secular Israeli music-so inappropriate for our kids!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

oliveoil

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:34 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Imo that’s mildly flirty and not so offensive, yes.

Wow.

Wondering what kind of community you are part of and what kind of community you grew up in.

I know people who listen to these songs but I don't think any of them would say they really think it's ok.

giselle

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:48 pm
At my son’s Bar Mitzva, we had a nice frum DJ, and he accidentally played inappropriate words from a song (according to my son - I didn’t hear it), and my son was freaking out that he was going to get in trouble. I was really not on top of the situation, just assumed I wouldn’t have to be, having a frum DJ.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 8:59 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Wow.

Wondering what kind of community you are part of and what kind of community you grew up in.

I know people who listen to these songs but I don't think any of them would say they really think it's ok.

Is it really shocking news that some communities are ok with secular music?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:09 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Is it really shocking news that some communities are ok with secular music?

Secular music is one thing. Secular music with zxual themes is something else. A lot of it is very objectifying and represents a totally different value system from the one in which we're raising our kids.

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
Secular music is one thing. Secular music with zxual themes is something else. A lot of it is very objectifying and represents a totally different value system from the one in which we're raising our kids.

אמן!

Just like when Despacito was going around - I couldn't believe a song like that was so popular in the frum world. Can't Believe It

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you!

You're welcome!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:50 pm
Rappel wrote:
You're welcome!!

I do the dancing and fun music related entertainment at many events, including bas/bat mitzvahs. I discuss the playlist and song preferences before the events. Recently, I was asked to play these songs at a bas mitzvah by a mainstream Bais Yaakov student, and had a mini heart attack just listening to the words (static, tavori..). Do these girls even know what they are listening to?!

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:55 pm
Rappel wrote:
אמן!

Just like when Despacito was going around - I couldn't believe a song like that was so popular in the frum world. Can't Believe It

Yes, that song is an order of magnitude more explicit than Tu Du Bom, which is pretty tame by secular standards.

At least Despacito it wasn't a nightmare musically. That Tu Du Bom song was so irritating.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:51 am
amother wrote:
I do the dancing and fun music related entertainment at many events, including bas/bat mitzvahs. I discuss the playlist and song preferences before the events. Recently, I was asked to play these songs at a bas mitzvah by a mainstream Bais Yaakov student, and had a mini heart attack just listening to the words (static, tavori..). Do these girls even know what they are listening to?!

I doubt it. I didn't understand basic Hebrew songs when I was growing up in Brooklyn, and pop songs tend to be faster.

Whom are your favorite Israeli singers, then? Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 5:49 am
I agree that most people who are not native Hebrew speakers, can get confused about music. Just because it's in Hebrew, doesn't mean it's automatically kosher.

It reminds me of people who think that swearing in Yiddish "doesn't count." Yes it does, it's still swearing.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 5:57 am
YES not understanding is an excuse. Of course. You can just not play secular music though for a bar MITSVA

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
... Anyone hear of too doo bum for example?? It's very upsetting!!

No, but I like this one. It starts out in French but switches to Hebrew midway.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:02 am
DD had a bat mitzva this past summer. We requested the DJ only play Jewish music. So many of her classmates requested Netta's "Toy" to be played that the DJ checked with me that I had meant what I requested when we booked her.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:54 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
DD had a bat mitzva this past summer. We requested the DJ only play Jewish music. So many of her classmates requested Netta's "Toy" to be played that the DJ checked with me that I had meant what I requested when we booked her.

You need to define Jewish music. Music performed by a Jew? 'Toy' and 'Tu doo bom' are fine.

Religious music? Only chassidic music? Only zmirot?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:05 pm
Double

SacN

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:22 pm
Quote:

I didn't grow up frum and now hear secular music all over malls, gyms and my office, and sometimes when I exercise with Spotify. As far as I can tell, comtemporary pop and dance music always, but always, has those themes and is often very explicit.
It's a very very fine line. This isn't even the innuendos like the music I grew up with. A lot of secular music would be wildly inappropriate at a bar mitzvah.

On another note, the music at my (secular) bat mitzvah party that the dj played was also wildly inappropriate. I imagine my mom didn't understand it- and it was mainstream American hip hop/pop.
Good for you OP for being in touch enough to realize the problem here.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
You need to define Jewish music. Music performed by a Jew? 'Toy' and 'Tu doo bom' are fine.

Religious music? Only chassidic music? Only zmirot?

I was very specific with her and gave her examples of singers we wanted and specifically stated no Static and Ben-el. We fully understood each other.
My point was just that several girls requested "Toy" so she wanted to make sure continually refusing them was okay.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 6:59 pm
you are right about the lyrics being inappropriate and actually some of the other lyrics are even worse about a girl and...these songs are not appropriate for frum kids and jewish events

jewish music does not mean by music a Jew...unfortunately

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:36 pm
Monsey View once had a really nice article on what Jewish music is. I'll try to look it up online and post link.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
Monsey View once had a really nice article on what Jewish music is. I'll try to look it up online and post link.

Found it. Page 98 is where it begins.
https://issuu.com/themonseyvie.....19514
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children