Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Going through Stern for the Israel gap year

madys

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:06 pm
My daughter is a high school senior. She didn't apply to Stern and is now regretting it saying that college will not accept her credits and she'll be a year behind everyone else.

Does everyone apply to Stern to get the year of credits?

Is there anyway to get credits for the Israel year?

Thanks

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:15 pm
I'm quite sure she'll still be able to get credit retroactively just it will show up as transfer credit as opposed to YU credit.
Also, you can not apply for FAFSA for your year in Israel this way

paperflowers

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:20 pm
Is she going to a seminary that is part of the YU Israel program?

My year in seminary some girls were getting credits through some program that folded at the end of the year and they didn’t get any of their credits.

I don’t know where you live, but some colleges give credits for a year in Israel, but maybe less than if you can consider it transfer credits from YU.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 12:22 pm
I didn't get my credits through any college because I thought it was a waste of money. Touro accepted a large chunk as transfer credits once I started there after my Israel year. I had no regrets, because I needed so many specific credits for my degree and per grad school requirements that additional transfer credits wouldn't have helped me.

madys

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:31 pm
Thanks, we're in NY and she'll be going to CUNY for college.

She's the kind of girl that doesn't like to be left out and she feels like if everyone else is doing something then she should too.

I hope it works out for her.

We won't be eligible for fafsa, so I didn't think going through yu mattered. Now she's worried about the credits.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:44 pm
From what I understand, going through Stern/ YU doesn’t have anything to do with credits earned in seminary.
The credits that she will earn in seminary depend on the college she’s attending and the classes she takes at seminary.
If someone knows otherwise feel free to chime in.
I’m in the same boat as OP (just that DD isn’t going to CUNY). We plan to do the YU Israel program so that we can use 529 money for seminary.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 2:51 pm
I could be wrong, so check with Stern, but I was under the impression that Stern is no longer allowing students to "use" them to get credits for Israel (same as Touro is cracking down on this). They want people to stay in their school so they're expecting you to continue there after seminary and not transfer out
I think most seminaries will send out their own transcript and I have heard that many CUNY colleges will accept those credits straight from the seminary, although it may not be as many as Stern or Touro would award

Tirza

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:03 pm
Brooklyn College and Queens College will generally grant 18 credits for seminary studies.

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 3:58 pm
I would check with YU/Stern and where your child intends to go to college to confirm. College guidance should also be of assistance.
My daughter is also a HS senior. We were told that you can only accept one college and to get credits through Stern, you need to be enrolled there.
This means, if she plans to go to Hunter/Queens/Maryland.... or anywhere other than Stern, she would need to not accept there, accept and enroll at Stern, and reapply from Israel next year to the college of her choice as a transfer student (with a new application, essay, resubmit SATs and transcripts, and hope she gets in). Many schools will take credits themselves, it depends on both where she is going in Israel and back in the states.

madys

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
From what I understand, going through Stern/ YU doesn’t have anything to do with credits earned in seminary.
The credits that she will earn in seminary depend on the college she’s attending and the classes she takes at seminary.
If someone knows otherwise feel free to chime in.
I’m in the same boat as OP (just that DD isn’t going to CUNY). We plan to do the YU Israel program so that we can use 529 money for seminary.

That's smart! I don't have 529 savings so that doesn't apply to me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics