Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to heat/cook food on yomtov without sabbath mode oven?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:26 pm
Hi, can anyone recommend an appliance for cooking/heating food on yomtov without a sabbath oven. I have heard people using different things and am pretty confused. Thanks in advance!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:28 pm
I use an Israeli electrical hot plate plugged in on the counter, with a timer that goes on for 4 hours for the morning/afternoon meal and 4 hours again for evening meal.

thanks

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:29 pm
If you take the light bulb out of your oven, you should be, able to leave it on for yomtov.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:32 pm
The most common is to leave a flame on and put a blech.
I use a hotplate and crockpot on a timer.

emmes

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:36 pm
I use a presto griddle. I warm up cooked food on it and sometimes I cook fresh rice or veggies in a small pot. (Cooking meat or soup from scratch will take too long as I leave it on a low temp, 250.) I use a timer to shut it from at night around after the meal until about 2 hours before lunch the next day.
Also, it's possible that you can adjust the temperature at some times (ex when the light is on or the timer is on off) You would need to ask your rav.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:49 pm
thanks wrote:
If you take the light bulb out of your oven, you should be, able to leave it on for yomtov.

Most ovens have an automatic shutoff at a certain point.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 7:52 pm
I have a tiny flame on the stove top with a blech. I fill roaster size pans with water and insert 9x13 pans or other smaller sized pans with the food in it. This helps that the food doesn't burn.

We keep the window in the kitchen slightly open to avoid any carbon monoxide issues.

teachkids

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 8:00 pm
I leave on a flame on the stove and use a blech to reheat things that only need to be sightly warm or plan things that get cooked on the stove

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 8:05 pm
I keep my oven on for the whole yom tov on a low number. My old oven did not shut off unless I pressed the off button. My new one shuts off after 24 hours( I think) so I have to do Shabbos mode.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 8:58 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I keep my oven on for the whole yom tov on a low number. My old oven did not shut off unless I pressed the off button. My new one shuts off after 24 hours( I think) so I have to do Shabbos mode.

Check your manual. There is usually a way to override this feature.
Well, you have Shabbos mode, so no need... but for anyone who doesn’t... check. There is a way to override and let it run all YT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen