Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Email Etiquette to Potential Boss

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:34 pm
We had a phone interview and I need to get back to him by email about something. How do I address him?
Hi first name?
Hi Mr.?
Hi,
If I end up working there I think he'll call me by first name, but not sure how I want to address him. Or actually, not sure how I'm expected to address him....

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
We had a phone interview and I need to get back to him by email about something. How do I address him?
Hi first name?
Hi Mr.?
Hi,
If I end up working there I think he'll call me by first name, but not sure how I want to address him. Or actually, not sure how I'm expected to address him....

Who set the phone interview for you? What did they refer to him as?

(Is this a frum person? Most people in business in the secular world go by first name - maybe something different if they are over 65?)

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
Who set the phone interview for you? What did they refer to him as?

(Is this a frum person? Most people in business in the secular world go by first name - maybe something different if they are over 65?)

He called me and asked to speak to me. Frum guy but many in company are secular.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
He called me and asked to speak to me. Frum guy but many in company are secular.

It never hurts to be over formal to be safe.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:45 pm
Hi Mr. So and So,
I feel like you can't go wrong with that. Much better than calling him by his first name instead if Mr. if you're supposed to.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:46 pm
Always err on the side of being over official and polite. I would adress it dear mr whomever but once you get hired if that’s the case you can be less formal

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:58 pm
Good morning (afternoon, evening) Mr. Smith,

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:17 pm
Sounded a bit formal to me, but I'm glad the consensus here is almost unanimous so I can feel confident going the formal route. Thanks so much to all for weighing in!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:18 pm
Double Post

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
Sounded a bit formal to me, but I'm glad the consensus here is almost unanimous so I can feel confident going the formal route. Thanks so much to all for weighing in!

Unless when he called you he said "Hi this is Shimon from Xnet can I speak to Shoshi please".... in which case - call him Shimon in the email.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
Unless when he called you he said "Hi this is Shimon from Xnet can I speak to Shoshi please".... in which case - call him Shimon in the email.

Good point. Thanks. He may have done that, but I'm not 100% sure. (I survived dinner and bedtime in the interim LOL )

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:23 am
in my old company a 10000 people it was dear paul dear maria.
now its less than 1000 but the heads are frum so its was in the very begining dear mr greenfeld.Now I changed into good afternoon and good morning to men frum. To goym I still do dear john....im not sure if its correct. to ladies still dear aviva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics