Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Defrosting a slab of meat?

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:16 am
I have a big slab of צלעות עגל ("ribs of veal", apparently) and I only need part of it for making cholent. What does one do in such a situation? It'd be a pity to defrost the entire thing. Is there a way of cooking it all and using part of the meat in future weeks? Sorry, I'm useless when it comes to cooking :S

Also, how would you defrost it? I don't think it'll ever full defrost in the fridge, it's massive

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:27 am
You can use a sharp knife to cut it down, if you need to. Keep dipping it in hot water, and then saw at it. You'll be able to cut it even when frozen, and put the majority back into storage

I would not use it for cholent meat, though. That is high quality, soft meat. You would lose it in a cholent.

If the rack fits whole into your oven, then maybe marinate it for a day in a silan-based sauce. It will defrost in that time. Then you can slice it smaller, cook it all, enjoy it, and any leftovers can be frozen in serving-sized quantities.

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:31 am
Oooh many thanks for the reply Rappel! Really glad you gave me the tip to not use it for cholent - it's kosher for pesach, so I might just keep it for seder- thanks a million!!

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:43 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Oooh many thanks for the reply Rappel! Really glad you gave me the tip to not use it for cholent - it's kosher for pesach, so I might just keep it for seder- thanks a million!!

Yum. We already accepted an invite to a different Seder, but can I come and help "clean up" afterward? Wink

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 12:51 am
Rappel wrote:
Yum. We already accepted an invite to a different Seder, but can I come and help "clean up" afterward? Wink

Haha! It's my first seder with the inlaws- I'm inviting you to crash it and save my sanity!!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:04 am
If you look online, there are charts for how long it takes to defrost meat in the fridge, according to how many pounds of meat you have. It's very handy.

Always defrost in the fridge, not on the counter! Not only is it safer, but you'll have a better quality of texture and keep the juices in.

Cooked meat freezes very well, so there's nothing wrong with cooking it and separating it into smaller servings. I do it all the time. Just be sure to eat it within a month or so, or it will get freezer burn and taste odd. On the other hand, even if it's a bit freezer burnt, you can always throw it into a stew or cholent to save it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics