Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Quinoa?
Previous  1  2

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
You too can find this googled article on the matter.

https://ohr.edu/holidays/pesac...../5390

Rav Avrohom Blumenkrantz zt”l, in his annual Kovetz Hilchos Pesach (2006, ppg. 141 - 143), took a middle-of-the-road approach, acknowledging both sides to this quinoa quarrel. He did not give carte blanche for everyone to use it for Pesach, but concluded that anyone who suffers from gluten or any Pesach-related allergies or conditions (ex. celiac) may comfortably use quinoa on Pesach without hesitation

That's seems to me that unless you have a special situations like celiac, you shouldn't use quinoa on Pesach.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:36 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's seems to me that unless you have a special situations like celiac, you shouldn't use quinoa on Pesach.

Isn't that the same qualified yes you were referring to earlier?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 10:46 pm
OU holds it Kosher
That's how the hotels make sushi

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 11:51 pm
It's a machlokes whether or not it's kitniyos. My Rav, mainstream yeshivish says it's fine but my brother won't eat it based on what he's heard. Ask your own rabbi.
If you do eat it, you need one with a pesach hechsher

princessleah

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:00 pm
Squishy wrote:

I don't understand.... what are other people eating on pesach with gluten in it?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:12 pm
princessleah wrote:
I don't understand.... what are other people eating on pesach with gluten in it?

Anything with wheat flour?

princessleah

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
Anything with wheat flour?

What has wheat flour in it besides matzah?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:12 pm
princessleah wrote:
What has wheat flour in it besides matzah?

Matzah. So if you can't eat Matzah, you can eat Quinoa, as a consolidation prize.

etky

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:17 pm
In Israel the rabbanut's stance - in line with the majority haredi position - is that it is kitniyot and it is marked accordingly although there are plenty of Ashkenazi rabbis who hold it is permitted.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:39 pm
etky wrote:
In Israel the rabbanut's stance - in line with the majority haredi position - is that it is kitniyot and it is marked accordingly although there are plenty of Ashkenazi rabbis who hold it is permitted.

This ironically has resulted in Pesach being the only time of year that I read the ingredient list to see if I can eat something. OK, it's limited to items marked KLP and kitniot, but a lot of things in the supermarkets are marked that way ...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:43 pm
The OU holds that quinoa is fine for Pesach. However, some years it's been packed in sacks used for wheat, and wasn't certified for Pesach for that reason.

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't that the same qualified yes you were referring to earlier?

It is. Accordingly most people in my circles won't eat it.

princessleah

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Matzah. So if you can't eat Matzah, you can eat Quinoa, as a consolidation prize.

That doesn’t make sense to me. There’s gluten free matzah! And everything else is gluten free— in fact it’s the time of year when gluten avoiders stock up on food! And eating a bowl of quinoa would not count for motzi matzah.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:28 pm
princessleah wrote:
That doesn’t make sense to me. There’s gluten free matzah! And everything else is gluten free— in fact it’s the time of year when gluten avoiders stock up on food! And eating a bowl of quinoa would not count for motzi matzah.

Maybe R' Blumenkrantz understood that there is only so much potato starch a person can eat.?

I don't have the book. Maybe Squishy can type out what the book says so we can understand the rational.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:

Those who eat gebrokts eat plenty of gluten foods with matzo meal as an ingredient.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
Those who eat gebrokts eat plenty of gluten foods with matzo meal as an ingredient.

Right. Matzo meal is just ground up Matzo.

princessleah

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:48 pm
I guess my bias was showing!
Anyway I eat quinoa

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:59 pm
princessleah wrote:
I guess my bias was showing!
Anyway I eat quinoa

Me too.

etky

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 1:41 am
imasoftov wrote:
This ironically has resulted in Pesach being the only time of year that I read the ingredient list to see if I can eat something. OK, it's limited to items marked KLP and kitniot, but a lot of things in the supermarkets are marked that way ...

Yup.
Takes me forever to do my Pesach grocery shopping. This year I have to remember to bring my reading glasses with me so that I can decipher the labels. Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics