Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Need to see where others have been on my computer

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 10:09 am
How do you check up on what sites are being used by others on your computer. They go on using netscape and yahoo. When they shut down, how do I check where they have been?

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 11:36 am
histoy should do it, unless the history was deleted since then.

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 11:50 am
I installed k9, which I got from imamother, you can check everything thru that. History can be cleared or specific items deleted that doesn't work if whomever your checking on knows that.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 12:15 pm
How does one access history?The only thing I see on the page is "clear browser history". I am not too knowledable about computers, so please go through what I can do One baby step at a time. TIA.

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 1:02 pm
You should see a 'history' button on top of your page, click on it, You either use:Mozilla firefox or internet explorer (it will say all the way on top)

For mozilla, after clicking, go to the bottom and click "show in sidebar", your history will show up on the side of your screen,. You can then click on each item to see what they saw. Keep in mind though if a website needs a code to access, you will only get the "front" page.

Internet Explorer, it shows up on the side and works the same way.

I don't know where you see to clear browser history as by me I have to click a few things to get there.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 8:18 pm
The server is netscape, and there is no 'history' button on the page.
Any other ideas?

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 1:42 am
Most people, incl kids, doing something wrong learn to delete history very quickly.

I would suggest the following:

Uninstall netscape and Yahoo to force them to use a regular browser - explorer or firefox. Ditto all kinds of supposed frum interfaces which a 8 yr old can usually get around today.

Do install k-9. It has good instructions and you can block out what you do not want. My whole family is very tech aware, do programming, etc. and they cannot break k-9. It also lets you specify hours that the internet will not work like school hours, when you are at work or Shabbos.

Things kids or non tech don't often think of:

If you look in the start menu there is an option "Documents". If pics, files or movies, etc where loaded it lists like the last 10. Kids don't often think to delete this.

There is a file that stores "cookies". These are things that web sites leave on your computer to save time in downloading each time. You can click on these and they will show pictures left by sites visited. This is when you feel the need for real detective work because something is wrong. There is also a "delete cookies" but not many kids think to do it.

If you have private things on the computer not for kids you can make them "hidden". Then the person you don't want to see them won't. You right click the file and choose properties. You check the box that says hidden. Whenever you put someone on you don't want seeing hidden files you first go to tools and check the box to not show hidden files. If your kids know more than you they me the ones hiding files.

There are more difficult ways to get into the belly of your computer which I do not suggest unless you expect a real prob, but then I would say keep that person off the net.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics