Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How are u supposed to clean toys books and puzzle boxes

thegiver

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:41 pm
Genuinely asking
Not sarcastically
And if u put it away how do you do that so it's inaccessible?

yksraya

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:45 pm
As par halacha, toys only need to be inspected they shouldn't have chametz the size of a cheerio or larger. So a simple cleaning is good enough. You can just put it away if you still don't feel comfortable your kids should use it on pesach.

I like putting the toys away and have special pesach toys. The kids enjoy the change of scenery.

srbmom

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:02 pm
I put almost all our toys away in a storage closet that we don't really use (except for storage). Pile everything up - yes, it's a mess for a week, but I close the door and don't look.
We pick a couple of things to keep out and go through them for chametz. It's just a week, the kids don't need much.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 5:58 am
And to make things easier next year and ever after, don’t allow playthings and books at the table, don’t allow kids to eat while playing, and wipe their hands and faces before they leave the table to play. All good policies even if you never make Pesach.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 6:17 am
We do it the other way around; allow books (sefarim during the meal) and games (after bentching) on the table for most of the year, but not on Pesach.

Nobody's using challah slices as bookmarks, or throwing cookies into the Scrabble box, so any tiny crumbs will be nullified before YT, and aren't going to get near food if the books and games are kept off the table just for that week.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 6:27 am
imasinger wrote:
We do it the other way around; allow books (sefarim during the meal) and games (after bentching) on the table for most of the year, but not on Pesach.

Nobody's using challah slices as bookmarks, or throwing cookies into the Scrabble box, so any tiny crumbs will be nullified before YT, and aren't going to get near food if the books and games are kept off the table just for that week.

Do you have toddlers? Mine have put slices of bread into puzzle boxes. LOL
I put a lot of mine away and dont let on table during pesach
Anyways it's a good time to clean as much as possible, regardless of halacha

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 6:49 am
Since my toddlers and little kids have played with dishes and toy food and have added pieces of pretzels and bread to "cook" them, I need to go through it.
What I do every year, is take toys like Duplo Legos and Cliks (items of that size not smaller) , put some into pillow cases tied at the end or mesh bags and wash one filled mesh bag along with a full load of regular laundry in the washing machine. I then spread towels on the table and lay each piece down to air dry. (I have not done this with magna tiles. I think they would get ruined. They are easy to wipe clean anyway)
The items I cleaned I keep out for playing and all others I lock up in our toy closet and don't use on Pesach.

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 7:50 am
amother wrote:
Do you have toddlers? Mine have put slices of bread into puzzle boxes. LOL
I put a lot of mine away and dont let on table during pesach
Anyways it's a good time to clean as much as possible, regardless of halacha

There is no such thing as “regardless of halacha”. It’s there to guide us and instruct us. Its halacha that keeps us from losing our minds during pesach cleaning. Halacha is not just the law, its the guide post, the safety fence, etc.

People jokingly call it “the P word” and make countdowns; “I dont mean to scare you but you-know-what is in 176 days!”. Its a thing. And its sad. Have you seen the Cinderella meme? With her in a gown and her in rags and it says “purim” under the pic of the gown and “pesach” under the one with the rags. Thats so backwards! Pesach is not time for Spring cleaning, its said to often that its almost cliche at this point. But its true. The grime that you find on your kids board books and duplos is gross but its not chametz and this is not the time to deal with it. Pick any other time of the year and leave pre-pesach for getting rid of chametz.

Of course my own children have been known to put pretzels and bread among their toys. So, I go through the toy boxes and look for pieces of bread and a stray pretzels, even crumbs. Those go. Then I put the toys back in. And maybe start now with not letting toys and books come to the table when there is food on it all year-round.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:03 am
Make your life easy and lock the toy closet for pesach.
Invest in 2-3 new toys that get put away with your pesach stuff from year to year.

My kids wait all year to play with their pesach toys! We usually buy something new every year or so.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:05 am
watergirl wrote:
There is no such thing as “regardless of halacha”. It’s there to guide us and instruct us. Its halacha that keeps us from losing our minds during pesach cleaning. Halacha is not just the law, its the guide post, the safety fence, etc.

People jokingly call it “the P word” and make countdowns; “I dont mean to scare you but you-know-what is in 176 days!”. Its a thing. And its sad. Have you seen the Cinderella meme? With her in a gown and her in rags and it says “purim” under the pic of the gown and “pesach” under the one with the rags. Thats so backwards! Pesach is not time for Spring cleaning, its said to often that its almost cliche at this point. But its true. The grime that you find on your kids board books and duplos is gross but its not chametz and this is not the time to deal with it. Pick any other time of the year and leave pre-pesach for getting rid of chametz.

Of course my own children have been known to put pretzels and bread among their toys. So, I go through the toy boxes and look for pieces of bread and a stray pretzels, even crumbs. Those go. Then I put the toys back in. And maybe start now with not letting toys and books come to the table when there is food on it all year-round.

I agree about Pesach cleaning doesn't mean spring cleaning. But in my own personal experience, the years I didn't do Spring cleaning for Pesach and only focused on the simple basic chometz removal tasks my house never got the annual deep clean it sorely needs. Everyone knows what they can handle. As long as people understand that spring cleaning is not required it's still easier for some to tackle it now while going through their stuff anyway and just kill two birds with one stone.
But for those that take it as a pressure and stress they should reexamine their priorities. There is nothing wrong though if people do thoroughly spring clean and organize in the process. I for one enjoy the process even though I call it "Pesach Cleaning" I know that I'm doing lots of spring cleaning and I find it refreshing to welcome Spring and the Chag Ha'aviv with a house that is truly refreshed and the "renewal" of Spring is felt in the air.

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 8:12 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I agree about Pesach cleaning doesn't mean spring cleaning. But in my own personal experience, the years I didn't do Spring cleaning for Pesach and only focused on the simple basic chometz removal tasks my house never got the annual deep clean it sorely needs. Everyone knows what they can handle. As long as people understand that spring cleaning is not required it's still easier for some to tackle it now while going through their stuff anyway and just kill two birds with one stone.
But for those that take it as a pressure and stress they should reexamine their priorities. There is nothing wrong though if people do thoroughly spring clean and organize in the process. I for one enjoy the process even though I call it "Pesach Cleaning" I know that I'm doing lots of spring cleaning and I find it refreshing to welcome Spring and the Chag Ha'aviv with a house that is truly refreshed and the "renewal" of Spring is felt in the air.

Just dont let this be you... (I found the meme but I cant seem to be able to post it without the accompanying article!) https://blogs.timesofisrael.co.....appy/

And I'll add - this stuff is a massive turn off to your kids. If YOU decide to spring clean now and use this time for your house to get its needed annual clean, thats on you. Leave your kids be.

A funny story. The first year that DH and I were married, he had handed each kid a bottle of cleaner and paper towels and told them to clean each box and can in the pantry, after they had all been removed and shelves cleaned. Hello - we lock up the pantry and sell the chametz! I insisted that the kids stop what they were doing and had DH call his rav. Bless that man. The rav told him to stop making the kids go through this and to take them out for an ice cream as a break and treat!

To make pesach cleaning fun for my kids, I hide money under the cushions of the couch, in the toy bins, in their closets, wherever I know that there is likely real chametz, and they get to keep what they find. Its a game. I dont want them to ever feel stressed and turned off from the chag.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 9:02 am
If I have time we quickly go through toys. Some years I clean some in bath tub to leave out.
I close up my to closet. If something was cleaned well I leave it out.
If we don’t have time we don’t clean it and just sell with chametz.

We have a huge box of pesach toys I add to every year. It is so exciting to pull it out. There are books, card and board games, building toys. Because we don’t have those toys all year it is an exciting and entertaining part of pesach.

mommyla

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:02 am
My kids and I cleaned the toy closet on Shushan Purim (great rainy-day activity!). It took less than an hour. We worked one shelf at a time. Take out all bins. Wipe shelf/vacuum (for bottom shelf). Each person gets a bin. Dump out, shake out bin (wipe if necessary), check over each piece for chametz while putting it back in. Put all bins/boxes/puzzles/toys back on shelf and repeat with next shelf. (Added bonus: it's a good time to find all the toys and pieces that have wound up in the wrong box and to weed out broken toys or pieces.)

Mayflower

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 10:25 am
Toys is what I spend most of my Pesach cleaning time on (besides the kitchen), and I don't even clean all of our toys.

All Lego and Clics gets washed in the washing machine (in a net), Playmobil and Kapla are washed in the bathtub. Games get wiped as much as possible. The cupboards we don't clean, we seal and sell.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:41 am
I don't clean my toys for Pesach. I stash all of them in the attic for the entire duration of Pesach. I have special Pesach toys that I keep between my Pesach stuff. The kids are excited to use it, it's like getting new toys and I put it away each year with the Pesach stuff as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics