Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Tips for losing weight/gaining control over eating habits
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 10:21 pm
Also, I think it's important to get rid of all your no-nos.
No more buying cookies and crackers

And having healthy food available in house- fruits, veggies, etc.
I like making a veg soup and having out for lunch or dinner.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
I’m NSNGing
Not sure if I’m in Ketosis as I don’t measure.
The cravings are there.
Purim was hard
It may address the physiological issues, but it will not address emotional eating.
Whatever diet you choose you will need to find better coping techniques.

I’m not judging, just been through it all

If you are still having cravings in nsng, tweak until you don’t. Figure out what gives you them over time. Are you in the fb group? That’s a wealth of information!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:25 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You look so good, Andrea! Kudos to you!

Thank you. Proof, that if I can do it, anyone can!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Nobody's mentioned this yet, I'm surprised.

Overeaters Anonymous, that's the only thing that works for me.

I didn’t mention it because despite endless step work, which, don’t get me wrong, I am grateful to have done and still practice steps 1-10 regularly, I could not stop eating in any OA/fa food plan because grains and fruit. And I felt like SUCH a failure, because I still could not stop. The best thing I learned from OA was that if I ever got myself together again, I’d need to stay ON whatever worked forever. And thank goodness. That’s why I won’t mess with what I do now.

Not to say I didn’t benefit from it, but it scarred me because to stay out of the food I became obsessive about it. I didn’t sleep, I was a non attentive wife and mother. The step work was amazing. My sponsor hurt me more than anyone else in my life ever did. She was in recovery from the food, but apparently had no sense. I prayed daily for five years after for her to have everything I wanted for myself to get rid of the resentment. Recently she reached out on Facebook to tell me she was proud of my efforts now. I was like thank you, I survived YOU. Also the whole ‘ if you aren’t moving towards a healthy body weight, you’re a failure thing.’ That really isn’t how obesity actually works. It reinforced that I was a glutton. A stupid failure who couldn’t keep it together without struggling.

Your mileage may vary. I was active in OA for a lot of years. I love the steps. Not saying don’t go. But staying out of the food does not make you appropriate to lead others.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:44 pm
OA with my food plan. Now that would have been good for me and spared me twenty years of struggle. I think everyone should have a 12 step programme. Addicts or not. But they never had a food plan that didn’t have my triggers in it. Now I have the best of both worlds.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 3:02 am
The ONLY thing that matters is your self-motivation. The ONLY times in my life I have successfully lost weight or maintained weight was when my motivation to look good/feel good was stronger than my cravings for carbs and unhealthy food.

Tips on what to eat or how much to exercise are NOT what you need.

Post pictures of attractive women up on your fridge or of you when you were at an ideal weight. Think about wearing whatever you want without needing super control top tights or extra large clothing sizes. Imagine feeling good and less sluggish throughout the day when you aren't cramming junk into your mouth and being weighed down by all those empty calories. Think about how strong your body will feel.

I don't know your motivation - but it can't be temporary or transient. It can't be lose weight for the wedding in 2 months or to look good in a bathing suit this summer at my local pool. Those things come and go.

The ONLY way to be successful in keeping and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is to want it for life. To always want to feel your healthiest, strongest self. To want to look your best and be attractive for yourself. To want to feel confident and good about your healthy choices you make and the way you treat yourself. To feel proud that you don't treat your body like a garbage can.

Reflect on this. Make it part of you. Because honestly, choosing a carrot or apple to eat is just as easy as grabbing chips, crackers, cookies, etc. It is all about what you really, deep down want. You need to want this more than you want the temporary pleasure from food. Long-term delayed gratification over short-term immediate pleasure. "A moment on the lips, forever on the hips."

Surrendered

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 4:04 am
OP, I am in the same boat as you. I know exactly what I can and should or shouldn't be eating but crave the wrong stuff.
I too tried nutritionists, diets, weight watchers and others, counting calaries and carbs...
It worked for a short while and than I was back to square one. I hate dieting!
Instead of focusing on diet and what I shouldn't be eating, I try to fill up in good filling meals (proteins). Make sure to eat a FULL breakfast, lunch, healthy snack- like fruits/vegetables and dinner.
When you need to grab something quick on the go, a good protein shake can do the trick. Also, keep some high fiber snacks handy, for when you feel hungry or in noshing mode.
Tracking- writing down daily what you eat, can help out. It makes you realize and be more conscious of your choices. (I am very mindful when I eat cake or nosh, I know I shouldn't be eating it but... I want it anyways, especially when I feel stressed).
If you feel like noshing, it's ok, but wash it down with lots of water.
I feel that noshing and overeating are a substitute filler for stressful situations.
When you fill yourself up emotionally with lots of self care, you won't need the junk food to compensate for that.
Though I crave carbs like crazy and like cake,
When I feel full anough, and when I fill up on self care, I don't crave it as much.

Hatzlacha

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:56 am
Blue and surrendered well said. Thank you!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
The ONLY thing that matters is your self-motivation. The ONLY times in my life I have successfully lost weight or maintained weight was when my motivation to look good/feel good was stronger than my cravings for carbs and unhealthy food.

Tips on what to eat or how much to exercise are NOT what you need.

Post pictures of attractive women up on your fridge or of you when you were at an ideal weight. Think about wearing whatever you want without needing super control top tights or extra large clothing sizes. Imagine feeling good and less sluggish throughout the day when you aren't cramming junk into your mouth and being weighed down by all those empty calories. Think about how strong your body will feel.

I don't know your motivation - but it can't be temporary or transient. It can't be lose weight for the wedding in 2 months or to look good in a bathing suit this summer at my local pool. Those things come and go.

The ONLY way to be successful in keeping and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is to want it for life. To always want to feel your healthiest, strongest self. To want to look your best and be attractive for yourself. To want to feel confident and good about your healthy choices you make and the way you treat yourself. To feel proud that you don't treat your body like a garbage can.

Reflect on this. Make it part of you. Because honestly, choosing a carrot or apple to eat is just as easy as grabbing chips, crackers, cookies, etc. It is all about what you really, deep down want. You need to want this more than you want the temporary pleasure from food. Long-term delayed gratification over short-term immediate pleasure. "A moment on the lips, forever on the hips."

WOW!!!!! Everything you wrote is 100% true!!!

Talking from experience here....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise