Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How do we know hashem loves us?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 11:43 am
I feel like this is a foundational point that is often used when things are bad. People are sick or suffering- don't worry because since we know hashem loves us then it certainly must be for our good. Who says hashem loves us to the extent that maybe if we as individuals or as a klal do aveiros, he won't punish us for punishment sake?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
I feel like this is a foundational point that is often used when things are bad. People are sick or suffering- don't worry because since we know hashem loves us then it certainly must be for our good. Who says hashem loves us to the extent that maybe if we as individuals or as a klal do aveiros, he won't punish us for punishment sake?

What do you mean by this? That we did something so bad that He gives us a potch?
There are two types of potches, the well-considered one and seldom used*, with no internal anger, just external to make an impact. Or the, I know I shouldn't be doing it but I'm losing it and boy did s/he have this coming.

If it's hard to hold on to Hashem loving us, always, and "lo me'astim" etc., think of this: Hashem doesn't lose Himself. He is perfect and perfectly in control. ** Whatever is going on, there is a cheshbon. There is a concept of a time of such tzara that the forces of mashchis are allowed to run rampant but it's not like Hashem is ever NOT all-knowing and omnipotent.

*I know, no one should ever potch anymore. I still say running in the street warrants a potch.
** All these perfects make think this is a cue to the book, A Perfect G-d Created an Imperfect World Perfectly Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics