Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
What age did you toilet train and why?
1  2  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 12:51 am
I am unsure when to start with my daughter so would be interested in hearing. TIA!

cinnamon

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:20 am
Anywhere between two and a half and three and a half.
I tried to wait for them to be ready as in telling me when they have a dirty diaper and interested in going to the toilet but gannanot in gan here refuse to have kids in diapers so we had a deadline.

I'm totally sick of diapering my two and a half year old. He's very verbal and already started telling me when he needs to be changed I hope he'll be ready this coming summer but since he isn't going to gan yet next year we still have time and I'll follow his lead.

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:25 am
I start training at around 18 months, so far all my kids (boy and 2 girls) have been fully trained by 2. My latest was 2 and 2 months.
It is easier to teach a younger kid before they get into the stubborn cycle of refusing to poop on a toilet.
I use a potty not a toilet until they are fully trained.
When they start “hiding” to dirty a diaper I put them on the potty to go there instead. So essentially I start training with poopy before urine, until they can tell me when they need to go.
Lots of chocolate chips as bribes.
And no I am not a hundred years old from a previous generation, I am a millennial.

caza

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:31 am
I toilet trained DD at 26 months she was totally ready and we were off for winter break which gave me time to stay home and take it slowly.
You have to see when your child's seems to be ready.
Hatzlacha

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:03 am
All my children were trained between 2 and 2 months and 2 and 7 months. They need to be talking. When my last son would say I made, change me, it was time. He was 2 1/2. I used a seat on the toilet for most, a stool, no potty. lots of positive reinforcement. I made a song/chant and we sang and sang last time. I felt it helped. "child's name is a big boy, he makes in the toilet, he gets chocolate, he wears underwear, no more diapers." You could say I was nuts but he was trained in 2 days. Also, my kids get trained at night too. I take them to the bathroom 1x a night for a couple months. Often when crying in sleep a few hours after they went to bed.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:17 am
I toilet trained late for many of them, not later than 4.

Reason: I hate toilet training. Despite having what many would consider a large family, I still find accidents disgusting and hate dealing with them. I push off toilet training until I can either train 2 kids for the price of one (I.e. 4yo and 2yo), or until I feel like there is no choice.

I did try bribing my older kids to train my younger one! That was actually effective, I offered them a big prize ($60 range) to toilet train. They aren't as grossed out as me and thankfully DD is now trained!

I will probably have them try for my 2 yo after Pesach.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:26 am
3.5. Late but worth it. She was totally but ready and went straight from diapers to panties, day and night. Never had an accident. Many of my friends who didn’t so a year or 2 earlier with their kids suffered through frequent accidents that’s to me say the kid isn’t ready

icebreaker

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:58 am
My girls were between 2.5 and 3. We started my son at 2 (not sure why, looking back) and he wasn’t fully potty trained until 4.

simba

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:00 am
I made sure my boys were trained through the night before 3.

Have not done a girl yet.

Mayflower

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:06 am
I toilet trained my oldest when she was 2.5 , a few weeks before DC2 was born. She was trained in two days.

Tried to toilet train my 2nd just before the birth of my 3rd, also around 2.5y, but it didn't go, so I waited a few months and tried again. Also trained in a few days.

The third was trained at 2y and 9 months. I waited a little longer because he didn't show any interest in going to the potty. Also trained very quickly b'H.

For all three I also took off their diaper at night at the same time.

IME (but I realize I might just be lucky), it's not so hard to train them once the child is ready.

nchr

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:24 am
My oldest as 14 months. Our babysitter trained him. The rest were about 3.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:25 am
Ranged in age from 18 months to a bit over two. I did it at the first sign of real interest from the child in using the toilet. BH they all trained quickly and without much drama over a couple of days.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:43 am
My first at 3. She so wasn't ready but has outgrown the playgroup age. She was older than the oldest kid by a few weeks..... it was a struggle. Lots of accidents.
She still wears a pullup at night. (5yo)
My second one decided at 2.5 she wants to make on the toilet. And that was it. No more pamper. Not daytime not nighttime. Other than when she was sick twice she never had a night accidents. Even then she just didn't make it to the toilet and made on the way. Not in her bed.

It has A LOT to do with the child. More than anything else.

zaftigmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:55 am
She started using the potty from time to time before her second birthday but I didn't actually train her until almost a year later. I was too nervous and honestly I don't find diapers to be a big deal.

Once I did it, she was so ready that it was ridiculously easy. I just put on underwear instead of a diaper and within 2 days she wasn't having accidents. She does still have accidents every couple of weeks now, about 2 months later, but it's pretty rare.

I don't think there's an age. I think it really depends on the kid and it's so worth it to wait until they're fully ready.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
I am unsure when to start with my daughter so would be interested in hearing. TIA!

I started when my kids were interested, because before that is pointless. I have one who trained before 3, and the others trained within 6 months of turning 3

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:08 am
Wow. My kids didnt go to school until 4, so I trained them at that time. I waited until I had vacation from work and trained quickly. But, my daughters were ready earlier. It definitely depends on the children and one of my children was in a special school where they took him to the toilet to try to train him, but he wasn't ready andwasnt trained until 4.

I'm surprised at all those who trained at 2 but I guess most kids go to school at 3 yrs old and expect them to be toilet trained.

IrenaFr

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:32 am
My son exactly at 2 years - took two weeks , half a year later - also night diapers .
My second daughter- at one year old refused diapers totally , by 18 months was toilet trained .
Third daughter- elimination communication from two weeks old, at age 18 months we were on a very long flight to Israel (winter, delays) , I put a diaper but she refused to go in diapers and was waiting for toilet (they don’t always allow ) as everyone else.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:34 am
My oldest basically trained himself. He started asking for the potty around 20 months and was fully day trained by 2 1/2.

My middle was not interested at all and was finally trained before he turned 4.

My current toddler is nearing 2 and a half and I would love to try this summer but we will see if he goes for it.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:37 am
I toilet train when they r ready. My oldest was three months before he was four. Next one was exactly 3. My youngest is 2 .5 now and I didn't start. They were 100% ready. Day and night. Each had ONE wet accident. I have never bh had a dirty accident. I personally don't think it's worth it to push early.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:38 am
What about night training?

My son is 3 and a few months and I toilet trained him with a kiddie potty, but he still won't make at school on the little toilets. So I ordered a seat to put on our toilet to get him to practice. Kind of regret the kiddie potty, but he was scared of the toilet and I was desperate to get the process going..

My husband has been asking me when we night train, and I'm not sure.. unless I wake him up a few times in the middle of the night, I don't think he'll be able to wake himself up to go. When should I start working on this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training