Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Measles :(

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:48 pm
And the measles have arrived to Criwn Heights. I'm surprised it took this long but really thought we would be able to avoid it. Here's my question, I'm pregnant but tested immune to measles. Any reason for me to be concerned about exposure?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:53 pm
Your question is indicative of everything that is wrong with our education and attitudes regarding VPD's.

First off, if you tested immune, you are safe from measles. Why is this even a question?

Second, measles during pregnancy is a huge big deal but the only danger is dehydration which can lead to pre-term labor. Dehydration can occur with any virus. If you know that this is the chief issue, you can take steps to prevent it.

Knowledge is power. Get educated about the basics.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
Your question is indicative of everything that is wrong with our education and attitudes regarding VPD's.

First off, if you tested immune, you are safe from measles. Why is this even a question?

Second, measles during pregnancy is a huge big deal but the only danger is dehydration which can lead to pre-term labor. Dehydration can occur with any virus. If you know that this is the chief issue, you can take steps to prevent it.

Inaccurate. If a woman has measles while pregnant, there is a high risk of her baby being born deaf. My mom had TWO deaf classmates. Both of their deafness was caused by measles during pregnancy.

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Inaccurate. If a woman has measles while pregnant, there is a high risk of her baby being born deaf. My mom had TWO deaf classmates. Both of their deafness was caused by measles during pregnancy.

And this is why you should get medical advice from your doctor not anonymous mothers. Really!

esuss

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:17 pm
That mother probably had German measles during her pregnancy as that causes deafness in her children. The current outbreak is measles that doesn't directly effect the fetus other than causing dehydration/preterm labor/miscarriages.

chmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:21 pm
Actually deafness is usually a result of a Rubeola infection
Nevertheless , measles infection in pregnancy can result in pregnancy loss or premature delivery ( in 25%of cases) as well as a higher mortality in children having been infected in utero.
Also pregnant women have a much higher risk of pneumonia and bad outcomes of a measles infection with a higher hospitalization rate as well as a higher death rate.
But if you were tested as immune, you have nothing to worry about.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:

GERMAN MEASLES aka rubella can cause deafness or other physical deformities. Not measles. Again, basic education is important.

And the fact that such an inaccurate statement got (so far) 3 likes is part of the problem. Panic and falsehoods aren't helpful.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:28 pm
chmom wrote:
Actually deafness is usually a result of a Rubeola infection
Nevertheless , measles infection in pregnancy can result in pregnancy loss or premature delivery ( in 25%of cases) as well as a higher mortality in children having been infected in utero.
Also pregnant women have a much higher risk of pneumonia and bad outcomes of a measles infection with a higher hospitalization rate as well as a higher death rate.
But if you were tested as immune, you have nothing to worry about.

Rubeola is measles.
Rubella is German measles.
Facts, ladies. Facts.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
GERMAN MEASLES aka rubella can cause deafness or other physical deformities. Not measles. Again, basic education is important.

And the fact that such an inaccurate statement got (so far) 3 likes is part of the problem. Panic and falsehoods aren't helpful.

Rubella is also protected against by the MMR just to provide some more basic education.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:31 pm
Well being that measles would put me at high risk of miscarriage, I am rightfully concerned. My question regarding immunity was simply if pregnancy will decrease my immunity (since my immune system doesn't usually hold up well through pregnancy and I catch everything) but according to your answer it wouldn't. So thanks. Would've appreciated a less dramatic and accusatory response

chmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
Rubeola is measles.
Rubella is German measles.
Facts, ladies. Facts.

Sorry, autocorrect
Rubella of course

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Well being that measles would put me at high risk of miscarriage, I am rightfully concerned. My question regarding immunity was simply if pregnancy will decrease my immunity (since my immune system doesn't usually hold up well through pregnancy and I catch everything) but according to your answer it wouldn't. So thanks. Would've appreciated a less dramatic and accusatory response

Immune means you most probably can't catch it.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 3:04 pm
if you tested immune, you're fine.

Amother, I'm miserable enough during pregnancy, I wouldn't want measles on top of it.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:24 pm
If the mother has measles and gives birth during the infection, the baby is born with the infection. Measles has been known to cause deafness due to infection in the ears so why would that not be a concern?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 11:36 am
If the mother is immune, then should she be nervous of anything for her unborn child?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:09 pm
I just got tested . Bh it was 289. I think immune is 29 and higher.

MiriFr

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 12:21 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Oh wow. Start off attacking. Nice.

She just wants a simple answer. SHE is immune. Her UNBORN CHILD is not. She wants to know if there is risk to her baby.
I also would like to know, actually.

Sebastian

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:26 pm
I wouldn't be worried about measles if you are vaccinated. Your baby is not at risk unless you come down with it and since you are vaccinated, you are protected. I would worry when the baby is born.

My4Jewels

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Um wow rude much? You are quite aggressive in answering OP questions. You twice told the OP in some way how her question was ridiculous. I hope you answer your kids questions with more compassion and patience.

OP I actually have nothing to add to your questions. Just a hug and I hope that you have an uneventful pregnancy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics