Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Specialty Question -- Pesach for Kid at School

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 2:40 pm
My oldest kid is in college, and will be away for chol hamoed and the second days, in a house he shares with other guys. I'll try to send mostly prepared foods for him, but what's the bare minimum for him to survive the week. (Assume the other kids' parents won't send anything; so far, I've sent all the pots, pans and dishes, and don't anticipate that anything will change.)

Can opener
Milk frying pan (for eggs or matzo brei)
milk spatula
milk wooden spoon
meat frying pan
meat pot
meat spatula
meat wooden spoon
meat and milk knife (1 each)
a couple of boxes of foil
tablecloth
paper plates, plastic cutlery, foil pans

I'm working on the assumption that its a self-cleaning oven, so no toaster oven needed.

Did I miss anything?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:30 pm
mixing bowls? (at least for mixing eggs and if he's making matza brei). It depends how much he plans to cook and what he'll be cooking. Maybe ask him what he envisions making for himself and then jot down the equipment needed. Is he staying for yom tov? I like disposable plastic tablecloths for covering things. Mug for coffee or tea? Vegetable peeler? Measuring cup/spoons?

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:02 pm
Usually they take care on their own when dorming. Guys like grilling & cholent. Maybe a portable/disposable grill with some steaks & sauces. Crockpot maybe for cholent. Also will be shabbos so they need a hot tray to keep food warm.
They can buy together & share stuff like cake, snacks, nuts, fruit,wine, chocolates. Maybe matzo can be shared too.
They like to buy raw meat & share bill & then just bbq. You can maybe marinate steaks & freeze.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:08 pm
Cooler with ice packs. Drinks. Onions/veggies for grilling. Good knife for steaks. Regular fork for meats.
Napkins. Papertowel. Heavy foil & tape to cover stuff.
Potatoes.
If you are sending the food prepared is it for everyone or only him?

yksraya

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:08 pm
Make sure he has a gas range to warm food. Or send electronic range.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:10 pm
Salad bowl to have a tossed or chopped salad or they can do it in a foil pan. You need containers for storage of leftover food & foil pans to warm food.
Cork screw opener if they are having wine.
If all food is ready then they just need the side stuff to snack on.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:12 pm
A soup ladel

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:18 pm
Nut crackers.
If he is in an area where he can buy stuff so he can always buy what they need there if not you have to think of every detail like salt/pepper, sugar, oil, mayo, ketchup,pickles, coffee, hot cups, hot cocoa whatever he may want to eat besides for meals, like yogurt, cheese, cheese snacks milk/bananas
Rags/detergents for cleaning up before leaving.
Dish soap/sponges to wash pots...
Plastic bags/straws/shopping bags....

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:20 pm
You can manage with a hot cup if you don't have a ladle.
My college age son takes care on his own whenever he goes away for a shabbos with peers

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:25 pm
When you are away you can manage to cut on a plastic plate if you don't have cutting board. You can manage to cover matzo with a napkin if you don't have matzo cover. You can manage to use a cup if you don't have becher.
You can manage with a pitcher & pail for negel vasser.
I don't know if he will use the hot water or ice in house on pesach so then you can send along ice cube trays or tea kettle...etc.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:27 pm
If you don't have masher you can mash your potatoes/eggs/avocado with fork.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 10:31 pm
If you send George foreman grill, parchment paper would be good for easy cleanup.
Garbage bags.
Foam platter trays for serving stuff for a crowd like cake or meat. If not you can just use plate

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:09 pm
Why the hug? Men like to travel lite. Women are different & like to have their conveniences even when away, down to every detail

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:10 pm
I hope I was helpful to you OP with all my drashas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics