Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How can I (and should I) become and SLP in Lakewood?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:27 pm
Is the field too flooded? Would I find a good job (nice employers, good salary) easily?
What is the schooling like, and can I get an online degree or a degree in or near Lakewood?

I like kids, but do better with better behaved kids. I once tutored an elementary school girl for speech therapy and quite enjoyed it.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:39 pm
Right now, there is a shortage of speech therapy jobs in Lakewood due to insurance issues. It is not a field I would reccomend.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 7:43 pm
very hard field in lakewood. I would not
recommend any of the therapies there. way too flooded and doesnt pay like in ny area

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:38 pm
What fields are NOT flooded in Lakewood?!!!

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 5:47 am
amother wrote:
What fields are NOT flooded in Lakewood?!!!

If you want to become a social worker and aren’t running to open a private practice, I know agencies that are often hiring. The problem is that everyone jumps into it wanted to make 200/hr in private practice, and that’s what’s flooded.

Just realized you aren’t the OP, so my apologies for derailing the thread.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 6:43 am
Lakewood aside, it's important for anyone considering becoming a therapist to expect to work with uncooperative people. Even in "typical" populations, there's a huge range of behavioral issues that you'll be encountering (even with adults!).

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 6:45 am
maybe look into aba. theres a lot of agencies

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 6:57 am
The answer with all jobs, go for something you again passionate about and want to do. So many people go for the "in" or easier field with easier/more accessible schooling and then don't participating in enjoy or have patience for what they do and it comes across in their work. For good therapists there's always a market. For someone to do it because it's quick, easy, and pays well, think 3x before making that decision.
Also, not all speech therapy jobs are with children. Different settings have different hourly requirement, benefits and payscales.
As an aside, just so you know and not to criticize because people often make this mistake, you cannot tutor someone in speech therapy- you are either a licensed therapist providing services or you are not. There's a lot more to being a therapist than carrying out a prescribed home exercise program.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:08 am
These threads always make me nervous.

Please start with googling and researching different university programs. There was also a recent thread where a few SLOs chimes in. Its a long degree which includes a Masters and I believe will soon require a doctorate.

Do you have a ba degree yet?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 8:03 am
I am a SLP and I make a decent hourly salary with flexible hours by working for public schools through a staffing agency. There is a commute. If you are willing to do that kind of work, it can be a good field.
Other than that, there is still a market for regular teachers in Lakewood. The pay is obviously not what you would get in a therapy field...

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
I am a SLP and I make a decent hourly salary with flexible hours by working for public schools through a staffing agency. There is a commute. If you are willing to do that kind of work, it can be a good field.
Other than that, there is still a market for regular teachers in Lakewood. The pay is obviously not what you would get in a therapy field...

I dont mean to hijack the thread. I am an OT actually an ota and work in a public school over an hr away. I would love to work in a local public school or anywhere local. This field is also extremely flooded. Can you provide me with the contact info for the agency? And I LOVE what I do! But seriously no jobs at all!!

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
I dont mean to hijack the thread. I am an OT actually an ota and work in a public school over an hr away. I would love to work in a local public school or anywhere local. This field is also extremely flooded. Can you provide me with the contact info for the agency? And I LOVE what I do! But seriously no jobs at all!!

I also feel bad hijacking this thread but I’m happy to hear from an ota: I was looking into it. I was told there were no need in schools for ota’s only for ot- I guess thats not true?

amother
Green

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
I also feel bad hijacking this thread but I’m happy to hear from an ota: I was looking into it. I was told there were no need in schools for ota’s only for ot- I guess thats not true?

Where do u live? It's not recognized by the board of ed so you cant work directly through them. I work through an agency that services public schools. These jobs are extremely rare and hard to find especially in nj! Pediatric jobs are almost non existent Sad. There are def more options for ots than cotas. I

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:
Where do u live? It's not recognized by the board of ed so you cant work directly through them. I work through an agency that services public schools. These jobs are extremely rare and hard to find especially in nj! Pediatric jobs are almost non existent Sad. There are def more options for ots than cotas. I

Thanks for confirming for me! Oh well- it sounded nice...good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics