Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Reporting Childcare Expenses
Previous  1  2

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:04 am
amother wrote:
As I just explained above, you don't even file the form with your tax return to get an extra deduction (although it may work out that way). You file it to prove you used FSA funds for a valid childcare expense. If you don't file this form, you will be taxed on all your FSA disbursements.

Thank you - an actual CPA!!!

Do you know what that form is called, so I can be sure I have it included?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:06 am
amother wrote:
CPA here explaining (yes, I am taking a break from work right now!)
Your w-2 shows that you took FSA funds for dependent care expenses on box 10.
You then have to file a form with your taxes that shows where those funds were expended. Basically, you are proving you used those funds throughout the year for its intended purpose (childcare). You have to provide SSN or EIN of organization that provided child care on that form.
If you take FSA funds throughout the year and your W-2 shows that you did so and you DON"T file this form with your taxes, the IRS assumes the FSA funds were used for a not qualified reason and then taxes you on the benefits you took throughout the year.
Kapish?

And I never heard of not providing an SSN or a "placeholder" number. And I have been a tax accountant for 20 years.

I appreciate your time!!!

Do you know if the IRS would ever divulge who/how much was reported to the babysitter? (In other words, would she easily know I was the one who reported the expenses?)

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:10 am
amother wrote:
Thank you - an actual CPA!!!

Do you know what that form is called, so I can be sure I have it included?

Form 2441.

I also just read your other thread. Lots of misunderstandings Smile
You have NO CHOICE BUT to file Form 2441 and report her SSN. Otherwise the amount in box 10 (your FSA disbursements) will be added on to the wage line on your 1040.

And she may get a "matching notice" which means the IRS says "we have record of this income and you didn't report it. We are refiguring your tax return using these records and you owe XYZ unless you can explain why your originally filed return is correct."

I don't know how likely it is for the IRS to send a matching notice over this issue. Usually they do so over a 1099 that is not reported. I did read somewhere that the IRS did NOT cross-reference the SSNs for alimony paids to alimony receiveds (alimony being taxable to the recipient and deductible to the payor = although this changed in 2018). However, with her being "under review" which means under audit, she may already be in their cross hairs.

The bottom line: if at the beginning of the arrangement she told you she could report it, and you relied on this to use FSA funds for her services, she cannot back out without causing you tax loss. Your reporting it now is a continuation (or culmination) of the agreement.

Gonna sign off now. Maybe I'll log in later!

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
I appreciate your time!!!

Do you know if the IRS would ever divulge who/how much was reported to the babysitter? (In other words, would she easily know I was the one who reported the expenses?)

I can't imagine they would. Just a letter stating they have record of her receiving XYZ income that is not on her return. Of course, she may put 2 and 2 together.
Honestly, I do not know how likely it is for the IRS to match it up. As I wrote above.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
Form 2441.

I also just read your other thread. Lots of misunderstandings Smile
You have NO CHOICE BUT to file Form 2441 and report her SSN. Otherwise the amount in box 10 (your FSA disbursements) will be added on to the wage line on your 1040.

And she may get a "matching notice" which means the IRS says "we have record of this income and you didn't report it. We are refiguring your tax return using these records and you owe XYZ unless you can explain why your originally filed return is correct."

I don't know how likely it is for the IRS to send a matching notice over this issue. Usually they do so over a 1099 that is not reported. I did read somewhere that the IRS did NOT cross-reference the SSNs for alimony paids to alimony receiveds (alimony being taxable to the recipient and deductible to the payor = although this changed in 2018). However, with her being "under review" which means under audit, she may already be in their cross hairs.

The bottom line: if at the beginning of the arrangement she told you she could report it, and you relied on this to use FSA funds for her services, she cannot back out without causing you tax loss. Your reporting it now is a continuation (or culmination) of the agreement.

Gonna sign off now. Maybe I'll log in later!

Thank you so much!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
CPA here explaining (yes, I am taking a break from work right now!)
Your w-2 shows that you took FSA funds for dependent care expenses on box 10.
You then have to file a form with your taxes that shows where those funds were expended. Basically, you are proving you used those funds throughout the year for its intended purpose (childcare). You have to provide SSN or EIN of organization that provided child care on that form.
If you take FSA funds throughout the year and your W-2 shows that you did so and you DON"T file this form with your taxes, the IRS assumes the FSA funds were used for a not qualified reason and then taxes you on the benefits you took throughout the year.
Kapish?

And I never heard of not providing an SSN or a "placeholder" number. And I have been a tax accountant for 20 years.

You can actually submit form 2441 without furnishing the provider’s SSN.
You need to attach a statement that the childcare provider refused to furnish SSN.
I stated this on a similar thread a while ago and a CPA corroborated it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
You can actually submit form 2441 without furnishing the provider’s SSN.
You need to attach a statement that the childcare provider refused to furnish SSN.
I stated this on a similar thread a while ago and a CPA corroborated it.

Usually you still have to provide name and address, though, to my understanding, so they still know who it is.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
Usually you still have to provide name and address, though, to my understanding, so they still know who it is.

True.
Probably a question for a Rav.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
True.
Probably a question for a Rav.

Yes, at this point, perhaps. But we went into the agreement that I'd be providing her information, so initially there was no need to contact a Rav.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
Yes, at this point, perhaps. But we went into the agreement that I'd be providing her information, so initially there was no need to contact a Rav.

I hear you.
I’m not trying to make you feel bad.
You do have a dilemma though.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 7:48 am
op how do you know the child care provider is not on imamother? you are monopolizing the threads.... enough, deal with it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
op how do you know the child care provider is not on imamother? you are monopolizing the threads.... enough, deal with it.

I'm positive she is not. And if she was, it would probably help me!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 3:25 pm
You should definitely tell her ..it's not fair to leave her hanging...just be very honest, and tell her u tried yo reach her and time was running out.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:

I'm the CPA that responded above.
I don't see this as a question for a rav at all. Once the babysitter gave the go-ahead to OP to use FSA funds at the beginning of the year, that means she gave her permission to report the income on OP's tax return. If the babysitter wants to change her mind right before tax filing time, that's just too bad. She can't change her mind AFTER she told OP to go ahead and after OP took her up on it. Using FSA = automatically means reporting it on your tax return. They are 2 halves of the same reporting coin. What would the question even be for the rav?
"My babysitter changed her mind about reporting her babysitting income, after I went and used FSA funds for an entire year. If I do not report the childcare expense, all FSA disbursements are added to my income and I'm taxed on them. What should I do?" Is that a real question people ask rabbonim? It's like saying "my customer bought a couch for $1,000 at my couch store and now I decide I don't want to deliver it to him." Like, how is that even a question?
OP, I would not even feel guilty reporting it, esp since she didn't answer your numerous calls and texts. Sorry not sorry.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, this. They entered an agreement, and now the babysitter wants to backtrack after it's too late and OP used FSA funds, relying on the agreement.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the CPA that responded above.
I don't see this as a question for a rav at all. Once the babysitter gave the go-ahead to OP to use FSA funds at the beginning of the year, that means she gave her permission to report the income on OP's tax return. If the babysitter wants to change her mind right before tax filing time, that's just too bad. She can't change her mind AFTER she told OP to go ahead and after OP took her up on it. Using FSA = automatically means reporting it on your tax return. They are 2 halves of the same reporting coin. What would the question even be for the rav?
"My babysitter changed her mind about reporting her babysitting income, after I went and used FSA funds for an entire year. If I do not report the childcare expense, all FSA disbursements are added to my income and I'm taxed on them. What should I do?" Is that a real question people ask rabbonim? It's like saying "my customer bought a couch for $1,000 at my couch store and now I decide I don't want to deliver it to him." Like, how is that even a question?
OP, I would not even feel guilty reporting it, esp since she didn't answer your numerous calls and texts. Sorry not sorry.

This.

Thank you, Khaki!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics