Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Number of kugels = number of sifrei Torah being read from?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mom!

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:21 am
Definitely a minhag amongst chassidim. Shabbos rosh chodesh for example would get an extra kugel.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:03 am
If you care about your waistline I wouldn’t recommend taking on this minhag which is really something just for fun and not based on anything

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:23 am
dankbar wrote:
I once tried for diet cabbage kugel instead of potato kugel. Recipe I got was no flour. No onions. No sautee. Just a bag of shredded cabbage oil eggs salt & pepper. Bake. It's amazing how close to real kugel it tasted

Hi can post the measurements and baking time? I would love to try this and any bigger yummy and healthy recipes.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
It’s not brought down anywhere .
It’s just a silly thing the chassidishe rebbeim tell the little kinderlach

Why say silly? You can say it's a custom to make special days special.
I know, chassidim are big on their food. We made sure to have farfel for a Shabbos night seuda with chassidish relatives. (It's actually quite nice.)
Even if there's no deeper meaning, so it's kavod hayom.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:08 am
Never heard of this. But my Grandmother had her own personal tradition to make two kugels on Shabbas Chanukah. The story goes that she was supposed to get married motzei Shabbas Chanukah. Her Chossen who’d been drafted into the Czar’s army was taken prisoner of war shortly before the wedding date. Time passed and everyone told her to look for someone new because her Chossen was never coming back. She waited anyway. After the war ended and the POWs were freed her Chossen came back. They got married motzei Shabbas Chanukah, three years later than planned. Her Chossen told her that what kept his spirits up as a POW was the memory of her kugel. So from then on she made two kugels every Shabbas Chanukah for the rest of her life.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:14 am
etky wrote:
Tastes very similar to potato kugel for some reason.
You fry up onions and mix them with 1 bag of shredded cabbage + flour (potato starch on Pesach) + eggs, salt and pepper.
Easy and delicious.

I want to try. Do you have exact numbers and measurements or you just mix what seems good.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 11:18 am
I make a cauliflower kugel. 1 bag defrosted cauliflower (we buy frozen cuz of bugs), 1 large onion, 3 eggs, salt pepper, garlic powder. 2 T oil. Puree and mix well. 8x8 sprayed. Baked at 350 until brown.

Sometimes I do the same with broccoli, but I don't like it as much.

Metukah

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Never heard of this. But my Grandmother had her own personal tradition to make two kugels on Shabbas Chanukah. The story goes that she was supposed to get married motzei Shabbas Chanukah. Her Chossen who’d been drafted into the Czar’s army was taken prisoner of war shortly before the wedding date. Time passed and everyone told her to look for someone new because her Chossen was never coming back. She waited anyway. After the war ended and the POWs were freed her Chossen came back. They got married motzei Shabbas Chanukah, three years later than planned. Her Chossen told her that what kept his spirits up as a POW was the memory of her kugel. So from then on she made two kugels every Shabbas Chanukah for the rest of her life.

What a beautiful story.

You should continue the tradition to keep the story alive.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 1:53 pm
I assume it is sourced in the Be'er Heitiv 419: . כתב שכנה''ג ראיתי מדקדקים כשחל ר''ח בחול עושים מאכל אחד יותר לכבוד ר''ח וכשחל בשבת עושים מאכל אחד יותר ממה שעושים לכבוד שבת ומשמע בירושלמי שהוא סעודת מצוה כמו פורים ועיין ט''ז.

It doesn't quite extrapolate to include Chanukah also, but it's not a far leap. (It extrapolates even less when it's R"C Adar or Nissan under discussion.)

etky

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 2:44 am
keym wrote:
I want to try. Do you have exact numbers and measurements or you just mix what seems good.

Saute 2 onions
Mix into
1 bag shredded cabbage (400g.)
3/4 c. cup potato starch or 1 c. flour (see note)
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tbs onion soup mix
Salt pepper to taste
Mix. Pour into greased 8x8 psn. Bake at 350 'till golden.

Note: I actually make it with potato starch year round. I like it better than with the flour.
Either way, don't add all the flour/starch at once. You may find that the batter is too dry with the whole amount.
For those who don't use soup mix, just add more salt.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 2:49 am
Metukah wrote:
What a beautiful story.

You should continue the tradition to keep the story alive.

This. Totally.
Aside from everything else, it's very important for the younger generations to hear about the hardships of previous generations, and if that can be conveyed through a beautiful and tasty culinary tradition מה טוב.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 2:55 am
amother wrote:
I make a cauliflower kugel. 1 bag defrosted cauliflower (we buy frozen cuz of bugs), 1 large onion, 3 eggs, salt pepper, garlic powder. 2 T oil. Puree and mix well. 8x8 sprayed. Baked at 350 until brown.

Sometimes I do the same with broccoli, but I don't like it as much.

Do you cook the cauliflower first?

renslet

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 5:23 am
I used to also think that it was a "silly thing told to children" until I saw a source. I'll check when I get home but it was definitely a source that most or everyone holds of . Although there was no mention of kugels, it just says that when there's an extra Torah taken out, you should have an extra tavshil. I'm assuming in Europe it was always easier to do kugel, me personally, I make extra dessert.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 6:28 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Do you cook the cauliflower first?

No.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:55 pm
I cook up a bag of cauliflower, greenhouse grown ( no bugs), drain & mash. 24 oz. Add 3 eggs. Salt & pepper. U can also add in chicken soup mix or onion soup mix. Little bit. Add some lite mayo like 5 T or 1/2 cup. Mix with fork. Bake on 350 for about 45 min.

etky

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 5:27 pm
So, my very first thought when we bentched Rosh Chodesh Nissan today in shul and I realized that it fell out on Shabbat, was about this thread LOL

abaker

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 9:52 pm
etky wrote:
So, my very first thought when we bentched Rosh Chodesh Nissan today in shul and I realized that it fell out on Shabbat, was about this thread LOL

I'm glad you bumped it up, I want to give some of these recipes a try.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:02 am
etky wrote:

And parshas hachodesh.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:08 am
PinkFridge wrote:
And parshas hachodesh.

Yes - that's why I thought of this thread. Triple torahs = 3 kugels, again, for the second time this year.
Good way to finish up the chametz actually Smile

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:53 am
There's the zibn himmel thing
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note