Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
4 month old exposed to measles. WWYD?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:26 pm
EBF if that makes a difference...

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:28 pm
Ask your doctor but I don't think there is anything you can do after the fact . Just watch out for symptoms.

simba

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:29 pm
Call your pediatrician. They might vaccinate now.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:30 pm
There is the IG injection...

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:45 pm
I would find out which natural supplements can give a baby to prevent it from coming or prevent a bad case of it.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:46 pm
speak to your ped. Immogloblin may be an option.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:25 pm
Doc said just to wait it out Confused

Anyone know something safe I could give infant to lessen chance of getting it?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:29 pm
Call your local health food store. They might know which supplements are safe. They might want you to take it for her since your nursing her. Vitamin A is important.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:43 pm
Call the health dept to see if IG is appropriate.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:45 pm
pls don't ask your health food store for medical advice. ask your ped

naomi2

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
Call your local health food store. They might know which supplements are safe. They might want you to take it for her since your nursing her. Vitamin A is important.

Amother above, this advice is not contradicting the dr's advice. The dr said wait it out and she is. OP you can gather lots of ideas and run it by your dr as well. 4 months is pretty young so somethings that may seem innocuous might not be good for your baby.

Also, when you ask your dr he may nix all the ideas saying they won't work so If it were me in this situation, I would ask the dr if each thing would be HARMFUL or just not effective. Then you can decide what you are comfortable trying. I would look into cuturelle, a probiotic for kids.
Good luck op, hopefully your baby won't catch it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:26 pm
In our office, we had a couple of less-than-6-month-old EBF babies that were exposed to measles (in the same waiting room as a measles child). We gave a number of them the IG injection. One infant didn't receive it (miscommunication with mother) and this infant came down with the measles. This child ended up hospitalized with measles-induced pneumonia.

How close in proximity were you to the child with measles?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:38 pm
My 1 month old nephew was exposed to the measles, he got a shot to counteract it and bh he's doing fine.

shanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:45 pm
Ig

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 11:23 pm
I would insist on getting a second opinion about the immunoglobulin.

Not sure why your doctor thinks you should wait it out. 90% of those who are exposed catch the measles, and then potentially pass it on to others, 3%+ of whom are susceptible despite being fully vaccinated.

Even those who consider measles a relatively harmless disease in children will readily admit that it is much more dangerous in infants.

If there is some reason we don't know about that makes the ig contraindicated in your case, you may want to find out if there is a problem with giving megadoses of vitamin C, which might be beneficial although I don't believe it helps prevent measles.

(OP, even if the above doesn't help in any way, don't panic, the majority of cases of measles leave no lasting damage, although it's not worth the risk if you can prevent it.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics