Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to stop obsessing after interviews?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 8:33 am
Either they'll pick me or they won't. I want to just forget about each interview until I get another invite to the next round or an offer. But unfortunately that's not how I'm naturally wired.

Give me all your best tips and tricks for getting your mind off of trying to figure out the outcome in advance. But only if this is a struggle you actually have experienced yourself. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have a job currently that is perfectly adequate and I am not under any time pressure or mistreated at work. For various reasons, I'm just eager to move on.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 9:02 am
I'm generally anxious, and after interviews have definitely gotten into obsessing over how every second went, critiquing myself, etc. Whenever I start thinking about it I picture a stop sign in my mind and switch to thinking about something else. This is hard, but it has helped me recognize that I'm obsessing over time and stop it

oneofakind

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 6:56 pm
I've had crazy stories where the job didn't get back to me in a timely fashion and then I blamed myself for botching the interview and then they ended hiring me to my great surprise. Then there was the interview for the job I really wanted and I thought it went well but they didn't hire me so of course I then obsessed on what I should've said etc...So yeah, I'm great at obsessing and don't have a neat trick how not to but the whole process is so min hashamayim I just remind myself that I'm so not in control.

forgetit

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:40 pm
You're lucky that you have something now. I think that can help you 'self-talk' that you're not desperate and that w/e happens, happens.
I try to do this for sales pitch when I wait to hear back from client, but can be for interview just as well: I try to do a 'takeaway' or two from how things went and take constructive self critique on how to improve sales pitch (re: interview skills). That can help turn this goal oriented.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Apr 01 2019, 4:01 am
I always obsess over how it went. I am trying to apply to myself (and believe me, its not easy) that Hashem already knows what is going to happen. If they don't accept me, it does sting but there has to be somewhere better for me elsewhere....

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 9:57 am
Thanks everyone. I've tried to implement your advice to be constructive and remind myself I'm not in control and everything's for the best.

I made it to the second round of one of the two first round interviews that I had before my OP. And then also through two rounds for a third job. So now I'm waiting for the outcomes of the two second-round interviews, which still won't give me a final answer because both jobs will require a third round before an offer is made.

Good luck to anybody else who's currently job searching, may we all wind up in the most suitable positions!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. I've tried to implement your advice to be constructive and remind myself I'm not in control and everything's for the best.

I made it to the second round of one of the two first round interviews that I had before my OP. And then also through two rounds for a third job. So now I'm waiting for the outcomes of the two second-round interviews, which still won't give me a final answer because both jobs will require a third round before an offer is made.

Good luck to anybody else who's currently job searching, may we all wind up in the most suitable positions!

Good for you! I've gone to 4 interviews already...Apparently they change their mind from what they originally tell me...its sort of disappointing...but I keep on reminding myself that Hashem is in charge and He will send me the right job at the right time.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:08 pm
OP Pewter here: I wound up getting both offers and just officially accepted this week with my top choice. I am so excited for this new step. BH, I am so grateful that everything worked out. Best of luck to everyone else! Including amother Vermilion!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics