Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New books for Pesach 2019
1  2  Next

penguin

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 5:47 pm
So far I am looking at:
Eyewitness - Rochel Schorr
In Session - Mirel Goldstein
Once Upon an Invention - Millman
Wings of an Eagle - Hager
All Fall Down - Rachel Berger
To Catch a Thief - Libby Lazewnick (Young Adult)
Secrets -Sukey Gross
The Link - Nachman Seltzer
The Mystery of the Empty House - Henye Meyer -
(for kids but I love everything she writes)
The Unwillable - Chaya Forman

If anyone has had time to read (!) please post your reviews!

isrmss91

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 8:23 pm
Just finished. Outlook by Tzippy Kestenbaum and it was very good!! Was originally in the Lakewood Voice
Freefall by Miriam Zakon also looks good.
Once upon an invention is for Kids. Gives a fictional short story about for example, shoelaces and then later explains it's origins.
The Link is a reprint of Nachman Seltzer and Twilight from Avner Golds Series are being reprinted with additional chapters, Promised Child, The Dream and the Year of the Sword all have already been reprinted with additional chapters. Very good reading for Adults and Young Adults IMHO.

Closecall by Adel Stein for young Adults (she wrote the Bar Mitzvah Series)
And for you Yael Reed fans, Book #6 called Target should be here before Pesach. My teen girls loved that series. School of Secrets, Lookdown, Disappeared, Whispers, & the Foundling preceed it.

isrmss91

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 8:29 pm
And have not read Separate Orbits by Yael Mermelstein. Read the back and it seems very Sci-fyish.

And finally for the boys, the 3rd book of the Trilogy "the Chronicles of Meir Ben Yaacov" is out. Its called "the Search for the Crown" The other 2 titles are called "the Hunt" & "bold as a Leopard"
Very good.
And the usual slew of Comics are coming, New Shikufitsky Street #5, and new comic based on the Adopted princess, can't remember the title and a new comic book on the Mir Yeshivahs escape.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:39 am
isrmss91 wrote:
Just finished. Outlook by Tzippy Kestenbaum and it was very good!! Was originally in the Lakewood Voice
Freefall by Miriam Zakon also looks good.
Once upon an invention is for Kids. Gives a fictional short story about for example, shoelaces and then later explains it's origins.
The Link is a reprint of Nachman Seltzer and Twilight from Avner Golds Series are being reprinted with additional chapters, Promised Child, The Dream and the Year of the Sword all have already been reprinted with additional chapters. Very good reading for Adults and Young Adults IMHO.

Closecall by Adel Stein for young Adults (she wrote the Bar Mitzvah Series)
And for you Yael Reed fans, Book #6 called Target should be here before Pesach. My teen girls loved that series. School of Secrets, Lookdown, Disappeared, Whispers, & the Foundling preceed it.

The Link is being reprinted with extra material? Interesting.

I loved Freefall. If you didn't read it as a serial, read it! (Not saying what anyone should buy. You might have libraries. But if you buy novels, this was lovely.)

Also wonderful and moving was Metamorphosis, and the author, Zev ben Leah, should have a refuah shleima.

Re Separate Orbits, in another post, it's Yael Mermelstein so it's a solid read. Interesting premise, but just a timeless story set in a very specific time and place.

penguin

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:33 pm
Please describe plots of books you've read.

The Link is a reprint? Oh, no! I just recently bought The Edge, not that my original copy wasn't probably ruined. But still, I'd rather buy things I haven't read.

I did enjoy Freefall, and Separate Orbits. But I find the serialized books eventually go on sale - after all, half the world has read them, right?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:44 pm
penguin wrote:

The Link is a reprint? Oh, no! I just recently bought The Edge, not that my original copy wasn't probably ruined. But still, I'd rather buy things I haven't read.

I did enjoy Freefall, and Separate Orbits. But I find the serialized books eventually go on sale - after all, half the world has read them, right?

Maybe I'm wrong about The Link.
Looks like I am. I was positive he'd already written a book with that title but looking at the description, which seems unfamiliar, and the Dec. 2018 publication date, I guess not. So if the poster I was replying to is reading this, what did you mean?
And about serialized books going on sale: not necessarily. Does Binah have some sort of agreement with their writers? Because there are a number of serials that have NOT been published in book form.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:47 pm
The Link is definitely a reprint. I read it a long time ago and it has been on my bookshelf for years.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 10:17 pm
penguin wrote:

Which stores put books on sale?

penguin

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 3:05 am
Quote:
Which stores put books on sale?
Torah Treasures in Lakewood has opened a new store across from their old one on Second Street downtown.

As of the week before Purim they had many steeply discounted books and Judaica in their old store.

I think another store does an annual warehouse clearance sale.

forgetit

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 3:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Looks like I am. I was positive he'd already written a book with that title but looking at the description, which seems unfamiliar, and the Dec. 2018 publication date, I guess not. So if the poster I was replying to is reading this, what did you mean?
And about serialized books going on sale: not necessarily. Does Binah have some sort of agreement with their writers? Because there are a number of serials that have NOT been published in book form.

No. Some writers take the initiative and get it into book form, and some don't. Also depends on whether publisher is willing to accept it. Nothing to do with Binah.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 5:52 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Unfortunately frum authors make VERY little on books, so little in fact, an author may decide its not worth the hassle in publishing their serial.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 6:23 am
What's the last name of the author zev? I am asking because I know recently a Zev that was sick & passed on. I don't know if he wrote books.

happyone

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
What's the last name of the author zev? I am asking because I know recently a Zev that was sick & passed on. I don't know if he wrote books.

hes ok bh. its by Dr. Zev Zelenko. Book is avail at Amazon.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 8:53 am
OOTBubby wrote:
The Link is definitely a reprint. I read it a long time ago and it has been on my bookshelf for years.

Yet when I looked at the first few links when I googled, it didn't show. I might be thinking of The Shadows but does this ring a bell?
Big and serious spoiler alert:
Hidden: 

Mickey Mouse

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 8:55 am
happyone wrote:
hes ok bh. its by Dr. Zev Zelenko. Book is avail at Amazon.

I am SO glad to hear this. May he have stability and kochos till 120.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 9:34 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yet when I looked at the first few links when I googled, it didn't show. I might be thinking of The Shadows but does this ring a bell?
Big and serious spoiler alert:
Hidden: 

Mickey Mouse

You are thinking of the Shadows.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:31 am
Yiddish Kup came out with a new book. Supposed to be a tad different than the first two.

Last edited by flowerpower on Fri, Apr 05 2019, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:37 am
OOTBubby wrote:
You are thinking of the Shadows.

But you say that you have a book on your shelves called The Link. It's a similar idea, isn't it? And big enough that I can't imagine it having bonus material after all these years.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 1:29 pm
If anyone is interested, I have few novels for sale on eBay. Search for face value by ahuva parnes, In session by Mirel Goldstein, and My name is Isaiah. Going anon bec my eBay account has my name in case anyone buys. Also, Last chance and Next, Please by Efrat Singer, which I really enjoyed.

penguin

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 4:48 pm
What is Last Chance about?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room