Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help for my baby suffering from severe eczema
1  2  3  Next

Power1Mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:20 pm
My baby is almost a year old, and suffers from horrible eczema. We’ve been to an allergist already and did a scratch test. The only allergy he has is from eggs. He’s been on bottles a few months already, and we are so careful about making sure he never eats anything with eggs.
Unfortunately, his eczema is still so bad. He’s constantly itching.
For washing him I use an unscented, soap free, Aveeno oatmeal wash.
After, I slather him with Aquaphor.
His back, shoulders, parts of his legs, and face get red, patchy, dry, and scaly, regardless.
And his head is worst of all. He itches so much, he has bleeding scratches all over his head.
If anybody has any advice, please share!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:30 pm
Do a blood test for allergies. The blood tests today are a million times more accurate than they were even five years ago. I'm actually surprised your allergist hasn't done it yet with such bad eczema that isn't resolving. Once you really have ruled out ALL food allergies, even the uncommon ones (I'm assuming they didn't scratch him for 50 different things), you can work on other avenues.

Power1Mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:35 pm
They tested for dairy, eggs, wheat, berries, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, possibly more foods, I’m just not sure. Also a whole bunch of environmental allergies.
I’ll definitely ask about blood tests, though. I have an older child with a
few allergies, and I actually found them to be inaccurate, but it’s worth a try.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:49 pm
Scratch and blood tests were not accurate for my daughter. Mother’s intuition and diligent tracking of what aggravated it taught me that she is allergic to dairy and eggs.
Aveeno aggravated the eczema (I’m not sure why).
Baking soda baths and Vaseline intensive care lotion have been super helpful! (And of course staying away from dairy, I think at that age I used the aquaphor body wash. Now I use the baby dove. And only free and clear laundry detergents)
Hatzlacha and Refuah shlaimah.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 7:51 pm
Ask your pediatrician if a bleach bath is something you can try. After I had my first kid I had a terrible case all over my legs, hands, arms on and off for a few years. I found that doing a bleach bath helped clear it up, not cure it, but it was definitely better after doing that.

However, What *seemed* to finally help, was when I stopped regularly drinking milk and switched to parve milks like soy/almond/coconut... etc. since I changed my diet and have less dairy (the only dairy I regularly eat is cheese or yogurt) my skin issues have really improved. I rarely have such bad skin issues any more.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:04 pm
No answers, only experience.. my child had pretty severe eczema as well. Now at 7 years old, he is much better BH, and we don’t think much about it.
In my opinion, it is strongly advisable not to use steroids. Informal research has shown me that it brings on more intense eczema after the initial calm, and brings on a bad cycle.
Also, being that it is so hard to see the positive in this challenge, I’d like to share the following: my son received a lot of physical touch and more attention than we may have given him normally, because of the eczema. He is an exceptionally warm and loving kid now BH,and I attribute it to the extra warmth that he received during that time. I used to bond with him by making a fun routine with the cream applications as well.
Wishing your child a refuah shleima!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:06 pm
mommyg123 wrote:
They tested for dairy, eggs, wheat, berries, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, possibly more foods, I’m just not sure. Also a whole bunch of environmental allergies.
I’ll definitely ask about blood tests, though. I have an older child with a
few allergies, and I actually found them to be inaccurate, but it’s worth a try.

Like I said, blood tests for allergies have come a very long way in the last few years. With my ten year old they didn't recommend it, and last year the same allergist told me that it's so much more accurate now he does recommend it (though not for all kids). One of my kids had severe allergies to some very unusual foods that we only figured out after anaphylactic reactions, since no one does scratch tests for those foods unless there's reason to suspect them specifically. And the blood tests were very accurate for all my kids last year. BH you're not dealing with that, but I think it's worth a try.

Otherwise, I would strongly recommend a strict elimination diet to figure things out yourself. The likelihood of it being related to food is extremely high, and dealing with the eczema without knowing the cause doesn't usually work.

moto

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:07 pm
Feel free to PM me. My baby it the same. Mainly face and folds on body. Now is on scalp, chest, stomach and going down arms..I have some advice and have tried a lot. Baby almost 1yr too.

moto

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
No answers, only experience.. my child had pretty severe eczema as well. Now at 7 years old, he is much better BH, and we don’t think much about it.
In my opinion, it is strongly advisable not to use steroids. Informal research has shown me that it brings on more intense eczema after the initial calm, and brings on a bad cycle.
Also, being that it is so hard to see the positive in this challenge, I’d like to share the following: my son received a lot of physical touch and more attention than we may have given him normally, because of the eczema. He is an exceptionally warm and loving kid now BH,and I attribute it to the extra warmth that he received during that time. I used to bond with him by making a fun routine with the cream applications as well.
Wishing your child a refuah shleima!

Thanks for sharing this! I literally hold my baby 99% of her wake time because that's what works so lessen the scratching. She no longer likes to be on floor by herself unless interested in other ppls kids around... Hopefully will have a good outcome long term!!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:41 pm
So sorry to hear this. Poor babies! And not easy on the mothers. Hope it all clears up very quickly.

yksraya

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:45 pm
Coconut oil and sesame seed oil are great. Just make sure to test a small area in case he is allergic to it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 8:52 pm
Hugs. My son was like this. It was so bad. We went from dermatologist to dermatologist. Each new cream was amazing -- for a few days -- then became totally worthless again.

Interesting that when I asked about allergy testing they told me that the testing would not be accurate during a flair up -- but he was always flaired up so we never got to it. (He's 12 now. Maybe things are different).

In the end I removed certain things from his diet: dairy, eggs, soy, gluten, corn as best I can recall. Low sugar diet, ate very clean. It didn't get rid of it 100% but it helped dramatically. (Our pediatrician threw me out of his practice for this telling me I was a quack and a negligent mother denying my child cow milk Can't Believe It )

Anyhow, B"H by age 4 he totally outgrew it. Many kids do. Hope you will have the same mazel.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:02 pm
My pediatrician told me that irritation anywhere exacerbates irritation everywhere. We had a whole routine which was super helpful in getting my son's skin under control. I was told to use Selsun Blue shampoo for the scalp to bring the cradle cap under control. Right after the bath while the pores were still open from the warm water I applied olive oil from head to toe. Then I used a prescription product for behind the ears. I used zinc oxide in all the crevices of the skin to keep the skin from rubbing against itself. I also used a prescription compound for the diaper area and avoided the diapers he was sensitive to and used diapers a size up from what he really needed whenever we couldn't use cloth diapers.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:14 pm
It’s great that you’ve eliminated the allergen, but your baby could still have leaky gut and removing the allergen alone won’t be enough repair it. Now that the eggs have been eliminated, it’s time to repair the gut lining and eliminate bad bacteria and yeast that may have already had the chance to grow. Repopulate the gut with good bacteria (good quality probiotics), try to reduce added sugar (since the bad bacteria feeds off of this)... here’s an article that goes into more detail -

https://www.amymyersmd.com/201.....side/

forgetit

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 9:48 pm
I'm giving you anecdotal stories so do with it what you will. Vitamin D. PPl have reported a lessening of exczema in summer, when child is out in sun.
Omega 3
Cod liver oil
(above were ingested by mother for nursing baby).
I don't know dosages, but mom was advised by certified nutritionist.

2gether

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 1:38 am
Try:
-bio-resenance for allergy testing, it tests for lower levels of senstivity and a wider range
-always keeping a clean cotton diaper cloth under his head, even when you lean him against your chest/in the carriage
-Switching soaps and detergants

Contact Kumi Uri
its an Israeli org, but the lady has a wealth of knowledge
http://www.israelgives.org/amuta/580592822

email at info@kumiuri.org

Last edited by 2gether on Thu, Apr 04 2019, 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

2gether

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 1:39 am
Oh, yes
and only cotton clothes, no flannel undershirts or pjs, this really helped my child

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 3:31 am
amother wrote:
Scratch and blood tests were not accurate for my daughter. Mother’s intuition and diligent tracking of what aggravated it taught me that she is allergic to dairy and eggs.
Aveeno aggravated the eczema (I’m not sure why).
Baking soda baths and Vaseline intensive care lotion have been super helpful! (And of course staying away from dairy, I think at that age I used the aquaphor body wash. Now I use the baby dove. And only free and clear laundry detergents)
Hatzlacha and Refuah shlaimah.

Aveeno was also horrible for my son. It took my a while to realize it was making it worse. He only uses plain original dove now also.
His is very environmental and I think emotional (stress) related. Not so much food.
Only cotton pjs
Clean and clear detergent (not dreft)
He is now 12 and while it has gotten brunch better it still drives him nuts.
He is not a happier child from all our attention - if anything when he has flare ups it makes him mean and nasty because it occupies so much of his energy and focus
We used to use steroids for control and while it did create a dependency it was worth it to bring it under control when really bad. Now he almost never uses it. But when he was a baby we would not have survived without.
We use a ton of aquaphor plus I make my own cream with coconut butter and zinc oxide - it works really well but is greasy.
I just wish we could figure out swimming (chlorine really bothers it) and deadorent - as his arm puts have always had open skin but he needs it now.

Some fruits we found were triggers do eliminated that. About 2 years ago he stopped eating food coloring - which is in tons of food - and saw a drastic improvement. Don’t know if it’s the food coloring or just the large amount of junk he no longer eats.

believeit

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 4:51 am
Just want to add there is an organization Kumi oiri. Managed by a lady who's daughter had very severe allergies; They help all people with all kind of allergies. Try to contact her. Her name is Rachel Buyrstien she was once interviewed by AMI.

mompower

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 5:05 am
My baby had awful eczema. It was a bloody nightmare.

I tried so many dermatologists and creams. Nothing helped. One night, out of sheer desperation, I ordered yet another cream. And this one funally did the trick. It’s like magic.

https://eczemahoneyco.com/prod.....w_wcB

His skin became soft like butter. The pain of watching a baby suffer like that is impossible. And then the relief when they finally heal Bh.

Good luck!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics