Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Thread for people who self identify as weird
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:09 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
So basically you’re saying that to her, you’re normal, and vice versa.

I think I’m relatively normal with many quirks. Like everyone else.

I think that weirdos pick up on other weirdos and their quirks and identify with them quickly. It's easy to spot them because they stand out of a crowd.

aricelli

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:13 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Btw, people will view you the way YOU view yourself.
Feeling like a neb? Feeling like a weirdo?
Is that how you want people to see you as?
Change your attitude, change your impression...

No - wait - but I want to be weird sweetie! I dont want to lie primly in a box and I want no labels (other than “weird”)

aricelli

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:14 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I think that weirdos pick up on other weirdos and their quirks and identify with them quickly. It's easy to spot them because they stand out of a crowd.

Nah- some of us are good chameleons- but maybe then we’re not the authentic weirdos? Who knows

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:25 pm
aricelli wrote:
Nah- some of us are good chameleons- but maybe then we’re not the authentic weirdos? Who knows

I don't seem weird to many, but if you ask my sisters, they know I'm the weirdest around.

There are so many ways to be weird. It's part of the fun.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 11:58 pm
Finally a thread just for me Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi
My whole family tells me that I'm not normal, so I'm weird by default.
I have no filter on my brain, but over the course of many painful Crying years I have learned to choose more neutral topics of conversation that don't scare people away.
Today I had fun asking my neighbors in my apartment building where they put their groceries for Pesach. (Some put them in the closet. Some put them in a corner. etc)
That's much less annoying than asking how much money they spent on Pesach.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Apr 04 2019, 11:59 pm
When I was dating I used to say “there’s a thin line between nerdy and Nebby - you want a nerd not a neb” obviously nebby and nerdy are self defined.

I feel like quirky and weird are similar in that nature - I would consider myself quirky but weird I feel like is negative self talk lol LOL

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:10 am
Thanks to my hobby I found a lot of people who are equally weird. Well, almost Smile

Ravenclaw

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:10 am
Normal is relative.
My husband grew up sheltered, and to him being chassidish is normal. But in the secular world, the black hatters are the weird ones.
Just saying.

Anyway, to address OP’s question. I wear the title Weird as a badge of pride. If someone were to say something that insinuated I was typical, I would be insulted. I am a Ravenclaw after all.

For purposes of self defining myself as weird, I consider it to mean unique and original. Someone who seems to be offbeat, but that’s just cuz she is listening to different music than everyone else.

penguin

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:24 am
Can we also self identify as normal even if nobody else thinks so?

sevengirl

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:33 am
penguin wrote:
Can we also self identify as normal even if nobody else thinks so?

Anywho our identities are social constructs… you can be whatever you say you are. /s Laugh Laugh Laugh

glamourmom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:44 am
I see it's a status symbol to be weird. LOL LOL you ladies are really funny.

jokes aside, what is it that makes you weird? please share examples. I'm really curious why so many people think they are weird. is weird just a synonym for different? because we're all different so does that make us all weird?

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:48 am
sequoia wrote:
Thanks to my hobby I found a lot of people who are equally weird. Well, almost Smile

Same! Would you be willing to share your hobby? I won't because then my friends and family would totally know who I am. Smile

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:52 am
According to all the weird people out there I’m weird. But that’s just because they’re the majority.
I think it’s weird to spend your entire life chasing fame and fortune, couching it in terms of “dreams” and “goals” to make it seem more lofty.
Basically your life’s dream is to make others jealous of you and to have them fake love you and flatter you.
I think it’s weird to devote all of your time and energy trying to impress people who are spending all of their time and energy trying to impress you.
I think it’s weird to talk endlessly about the inane things other people are doing or not doing. And also about the purchases you’ve made recently and about what’s for dinner.

But hey what do I know. Most of the people I know seem to think that’s perfectly normal, so much so that sometimes I have to pretend just to “pass”.
Oh well
Rant over

MitzadSheini

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:59 am
simba wrote:
Normal is just a setting on the dryer.

That means that before the invention of the dryer there was no normal.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:02 am
honeymoon wrote:
I used to think I'm normal. Over the years I've gotten subtle and not so subtle messages implying that I might not be as normal as I think I am.

I don't love fashion. I don't idolize money. I don't usually enjoy small talk. I don't talk on the phone just because. I don't wash my sheitel every two weeks. I don't care about what others think about me. I don't revere those frummer than me. I don't think teenagers are alien beings. I disagree with many hashkafic ideologies of my community. And the list goes on.

I can think of so many more things that are considered my community's normal which I don't like or conform too, so in their book that makes me weird. Oh well.

Anyone else wondering which community honeymoon lives in?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:05 am
I think in religious communities, youre automatically considered weird if you are on a different religious level than the majority of your community.

Like in BP, the people who daven in Beth El, are looked at as weird. In the 5 towns or Teaneck, theyd be considered totally normal. In downtown Brooklyn, and parts of Manhattan, theyd be considered Charedi, haha.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 4:08 am
Surrendered wrote:
Btw, people will view you the way YOU view yourself.
Feeling like a neb? Feeling like a weirdo?
Is that how you want people to see you as?
Change your attitude, change your impression...

That is such a normal and typical thing to say. Are you sure you are weird enough for this thread? 🤣

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:35 am
honeymoon wrote:
I used to think I'm normal. Over the years I've gotten subtle and not so subtle messages implying that I might not be as normal as I think I am.

I don't love fashion. I don't idolize money. I don't usually enjoy small talk. I don't talk on the phone just because. I don't wash my sheitel every two weeks. I don't care about what others think about me. I don't revere those frummer than me. I don't think teenagers are alien beings. I disagree with many hashkafic ideologies of my community. And the list goes on.

I can think of so many more things that are considered my community's normal which I don't like or conform too, so in their book that makes me weird. Oh well.

Like another poster said, I wonder what community you live in?! The list you gave for being normal is not the norm for me at all, but that does not make me weird, whatever that might be.

Amalia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:52 am
cozyblanket wrote:
I don't seem weird to many, but if you ask my sisters, they know I'm the weirdest around.

There are so many ways to be weird. It's part of the fun.

Exactly. Part of being weird is not being like everyone else.

Normal people are all alike. Which is so boring.

Which is why I think that you can’t really make a group for weirdos: they are all too different (I.e. weird) to be put together. Every weirdo is unique! Yay to us.

Amalia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:54 am
sequoia wrote:

Please please please tell me what that hobby is!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics