Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Thread for people who self identify as weird
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

glamourmom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:35 am
Zehava wrote:
According to all the weird people out there I’m weird. But that’s just because they’re the majority.
I think it’s weird to spend your entire life chasing fame and fortune, couching it in terms of “dreams” and “goals” to make it seem more lofty.
Basically your life’s dream is to make others jealous of you and to have them fake love you and flatter you.
I think it’s weird to devote all of your time and energy trying to impress people who are spending all of their time and energy trying to impress you.
I think it’s weird to talk endlessly about the inane things other people are doing or not doing. And also about the purchases you’ve made recently and about what’s for dinner.

But hey what do I know. Most of the people I know seem to think that’s perfectly normal, so much so that sometimes I have to pretend just to “pass”.
Oh well
Rant over

if you think all of the above is weird, and you identify as weird, does it mean you do all of the above?
Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:37 am
I grew up feeling weird
Then I got diagnosed with ADD.
And now I realize I'm social , talented, smart and UNIQUE!!!!!!!
Editing to add that I'm still unorganized, my mind has a million thoughts at once and all other ADD symptoms.
But it's a package deal
I have the benefits of ADD too!

glamourmom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 10:39 am
Amalia wrote:
Exactly. Part of being weird is not being like everyone else.

Normal people are all alike. Which is so boring.

Which is why I think that you can’t really make a group for weirdos: they are all too different (I.e. weird) to be put together. Every weirdo is unique! Yay to us.

but no two people are alike so how does this work? am I the only one that doesn't get this phenomenon. I really want to, though.

does weird mean just not conforming to latest fashion?

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:21 am
glamourmom wrote:
if you think all of the above is weird, and you identify as weird, does it mean you do all of the above?
Wink

Read my first sentence
Carefully

honeymoon

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone else wondering which community honeymoon lives in?

I don't think my community is an anomaly. I'm sure there are others like this. Have you never met anyone who fits the description I described? Good for you. I'd love to know where you live.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:04 pm
Zehava wrote:
Read my first sentence
Carefully

so then you don't really think you're weird, you just think others perceive you as weird. sorry I'm nitpicking. hope I'm not annoying you.
it's very interesting how everyone likes to be weird but we have yet to figure out some basic guidelines.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:24 pm
I don't know if any of you are familiar with American Idol and the singer Katy Perry. But I enjoy competition shows and if you have ever watched Katy Perry who is pretty unique and considers herself a weirdo...she gets so excited when a weird contestant shows up. There's this obvious immediate connection she feels towards a fellow weirdo. When I observed this a few times , that's when I realized "I'm just like that"... Don't know if all weirdos agree with me but there is an artistic side to many weirdos... I know I have that. I love art in all forms . I think there's an element of creativity that spills forth and we each have ways of expressing it in unique ways. Do you agree? I'm rambling here.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:28 pm
honeymoon wrote:
I don't think my community is an anomaly. I'm sure there are others like this. Have you never met anyone who fits the description I described? Good for you. I'd love to know where you live.

I'm a different another, but honeymoon, I feel for you. You're weird because you are in the wrong place. You're the swan living with the ducks....

Look for other swans!
We are all around.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:30 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I don't know if any of you are familiar with American Idol and the singer Katy Perry. But I enjoy competition shows and if you have ever watched Katy Perry who is pretty unique and considers herself a weirdo...she gets so excited when a weird contestant shows up. There's this obvious immediate connection she feels towards a fellow weirdo. When I observed this a few times , that's when I realized "I'm just like that"... Don't know if all weirdos agree with me but there is an artistic side to many weirdos... I know I have that. I love art in all forms . I think there's an element of creativity that spills forth and we each have ways of expressing it in unique ways. Do you agree? I'm rambling here.

now you're talking. I love that show. who'm I kidding, I love all talent shows.
and I totally hear you on that? those people just come across as weird right away. it's a vibe you pick up and they do usually act or talk funny in a (usually) charming way.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:45 pm
glamourmom wrote:
but no two people are alike so how does this work? am I the only one that doesn't get this phenomenon. I really want to, though.

Normal people try their darndest to be just like all the other normal people, which makes them all alike in some ways.

As for me, I'm a chameleon weirdo. I buy whatever the decently-priced stores sell because it's the path of least resistence. Fashion is not a goal, nor a counter-goal, but simply a mishigas that eventually makes its way into my closet by the time the next style comes around. As a teen I didn't blow dry my hair and as an adult I don't add highlights or change my sheitel front or whatever the new Thing is. I always wish that I could get away with buying seven of the same outfit and just wearing it every day. Also, I'd love to wear slogan tshirts but that's not happening in this lifetime.

I'm weird because of the books I read and the topics I like to discuss. (Bootstrap paradox, anyone?) I'm weird because I loathe housework in any shape or form, nor do I get any pleasure from pretty things (nature included. I said I was weird). I find subtle ways to announce my fandoms (ringtones, keychains) which as a chassidish woman is definitely weird.

I think I win.

Amalia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:55 pm
glamourmom wrote:

Dear glamourmom,

I was joking. Well, as the saying goes, “in every joke there is a little bit of a joke”..

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:01 pm
glamourmom wrote:

That can’t be it. I’m pretty fashionable.

DVOM

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:04 pm
Interesting that all you weirdos are identifying weirdness as a positive thing. I see your point, and I also treasure the things that make me unique, but my weirdness also causes me a great deal of pain. I often feel out of step. I'm casual where I should be formal and stiff when I should be loose, excited when everyone around me seems bored, and practically falling asleep when everyone else seems enthused. My values, my morals, my priorities... I think they seem quite strange to most of my community, and not in a good way. I believe that kindness will always build bridges, and I think that even those that think me weird don't actively dislike me because of it, but I'm still 'other.' I'm thankful for my husband, my sisters, my few close friends, my kids; I surround myself with people who know and understand me, who I know and understand. Still, sometimes I wish I fit in better.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:06 pm
Interesting thread. Being called weird is not a goal of mine (I have received this title from some friends, though), although I admit I love being different. I actually enjoy fashion- my clothing is just one of the canvases I use to express myself, but I avoid “trends” as I hate dressing the same as everyone else. I love geek culture (anyone else used to get Nintendo Power or the LEGO magazine?) and definitely spent many hours dreaming about attending Hogwarts or exploring Middle Earth. Not sure why housekeeping is included here- you either have it or you or don’t (like me Sad ) and it has nothing to do with being weird. Is someone weird if they have or don’t have a certain talent? I love music and the arts, talent shows are my guilty pleasure (I totally agree with Thunderstorm about Katy Perry). I think a lot of my interests might be unusual in the typical sheltered frumville. I’m some mix between introvert and extrovert- I don’t have an easy time making new friends but spending time with my good old friends gives me life.

So that was an interesting monologue... what do you say? Do I fit into this club? Or does fitting in exclude you from the club Wink Who really cares, as I said I don’t love to really fit in anyway.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:15 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Interesting thread. Being called weird is not a goal of mine (I have received this title from some friends, though), although I admit I love being different. I actually enjoy fashion- my clothing is just one of the canvases I use to express myself, but I avoid “trends” as I hate dressing the same as everyone else. I love geek culture (anyone else used to get Nintendo Power or the LEGO magazine?) and definitely spent many hours dreaming about attending Hogwarts or exploring Middle Earth. Not sure why housekeeping is included here- you either have it or you or don’t (like me Sad ) and it has nothing to do with being weird. Is someone weird if they have or don’t have a certain talent? I love music and the arts, talent shows are my guilty pleasure (I totally agree with Thunderstorm about Katy Perry). I think a lot of my interests might be unusual in the typical sheltered frumville. I’m some mix between introvert and extrovert- I don’t have an easy time making new friends but spending time with my good old friends gives me life.

So that was an interesting monologue... what do you say? Do I fit into this club? Or does fitting in exclude you from the club Wink Who really cares, as I said I don’t love to really fit in anyway.

I think we get to define the parameters of our own weirdness. I don't know anyone who despises housework to the degree that I do, and most women I know derive satisfaction from their status as bal habuste, or at least enjoy a nicely decorated home. So yeah... It's not about anything specific like talent, interest, ability, or taste, but the degree of how different it is from the norm around you.

I equate being normal with being average and boring, so please don't call me that Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:27 pm
tigerwife wrote:

I relate to a lot of this. But then I’ve always said I’d love to meet you because I feel like I get you. I’m also a mix between introvert and extrovert. I do have an easy time making friends though. That’s one of the weird parts about me. I will literally make friends with anyone. It’s weird. But like you, I look as if I fit in. It’s just that my brain is wired differently.

I think there are two types of weird. One type is the socially awkward type. Which is very sad and painful. For the rest of us weirdos, it’s actually fun to be weird. Because we can fit in when we want to, but we still have our own flavor.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:53 pm
sequoia wrote:
Thanks to my hobby I found a lot of people who are equally weird. Well, almost Smile

I'm so curious if anyone else has my hobby, but too nervous to post under my sn. Can you pls like this post if you share this hobby?

Hidden: 

It's researching genealogy

Eta. Wow, 5 other Imas share this! Maybe one day we'll find we're all cousins! Hooray

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:04 pm
tigerwife wrote:

I think you fit right in. I too do not dress trendy but use my clothes and accessories as a way of expression. I have my own unique style and people always comment on that. I love colorful costume jewelry and don't like diamonds and gold too much. I'll choose the $3 colorful plastic necklace over the $3,000 diamond choker .
I also love makeup and often wear colors to coordinate with my clothes rather than my skin tone. I hate manicures and prefer to have my hands busy with scissors, glue, paint, soil, fabric etc.
I love to create recipes and to make colorful dishes. I hate cleaning up the mess though.
I look like a mad scientist when I cook or do crafts...I make beautiful things but a massive mess in the process.
I'm very friendly and will say Hello and smile to you even though you don't know. "Normal" people hate that.
I can strike up a conversation with anyone no matter your affiliation but I actually prefer sitting alone in my house reading a book or swinging in my hammock under the trees than socializing.
I never freak out about what I'm going to wear or what people will think. I don't do the whole "shopping for Yom Tov clothes for the family" thing.
It bothers me greatly when people make a chilul HaShem or don't act mentchlich, more than it bothers most people.
I never understood the concept of going shopping and then showing your neighbors and friends all your finds and bargains... I like to talk about important things or funny things. Not clothes and shoes...boring !
I don't believe a person is defined by their families , but rather how they accept life and live it.
There is so much to me that's not typical. I don't think it's a bad thing. I was always very popular and people are drawn to me. (Frum people of all stripes, non frum and non Jewish)
People will tell me they admire me that I'm so comfortable in who I am but in the same scentence get upset and ask me why I can't just go with the flow.....

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:08 pm
So funny- I relate to both of you so much, mommy3b2c and youngishbear. Mommy3b2c, maybe one day we’ll meet up 😝 I think I am just much more reserved than you! You are so friendly. Youngishbear, when you joined I was convinced you were a kindred soul I met on summer on vacation, except she was still single at the time. I wondered if you could possibly be her older sister, but I’ve never met the sister and don’t know if she is the same.

Now that I think about it, I’m artsy. I think artsy people can come off as being weird to some.

DVOM, I relate to your social awkwardness, but I wouldn’t want to lose my uniqueness to fit in. My friends appreciate me for who I am. But it does bother me a little when I’ve lived in a neighborhood for some time and just can’t relate to most of the people there. You’ve mentioned before that you get along well with your chassidish neighbors- I also find it easier to get along with people who are different than me. Similar to how I find it easier to talk to men more than the women (I don’t have guy friends, but I mean work or extended family).

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
I think you fit right in. I too do not dress trendy but use my clothes and accessories as a way of expression. I have my own unique style and people always comment on that. I love colorful costume jewelry and don't like diamonds and gold too much. I'll choose the $3 colorful plastic necklace over the $3,000 diamond choker .
I also love makeup and often wear colors to coordinate with my clothes rather than my skin tone. I hate manicures and prefer to have my hands busy with scissors, glue, paint, soil, fabric etc.
I love to create recipes and to make colorful dishes. I hate cleaning up the mess though.
I look like a mad scientist when I cook or do crafts...I make beautiful things but a massive mess in the process.
I'm very friendly and will say Hello and smile to you even though you don't know. "Normal" people hate that.
I can strike up a conversation with anyone no matter your affiliation but I actually prefer sitting alone in my house reading a book or swinging in my hammock under the trees than socializing.
I never freak out about what I'm going to wear or what people will think. I don't do the whole "shopping for Yom Tov clothes for the family" thing.
It bothers me greatly when people make a chilul HaShem or don't act mentchlich, more than it bothers most people.
I never understood the concept of going shopping and then showing your neighbors and friends all your finds and bargains... I like to talk about important things or funny things. Not clothes and shoes...boring !
I don't believe a person is defined by their families , but rather how they accept life and live it.
There is so much to me that's not typical. I don't think it's a bad thing. I was always very popular and people are drawn to me. (Frum people of all stripes, non frum and non Jewish)
People will tell me they admire me that I'm so comfortable in who I am but in the same scentence get upset and ask me why I can't just go with the flow.....

You are an artist! It presents itself in much more than just your ability to create.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics