Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Tlc vs Oa

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:51 am
I would love to hear the diff between Tlc vs oa. For those on Tlc can you explain why you are there vs going to oa?
Thank you

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:01 pm
I'm on OA. TLC was started by a frum woman who had an issue with the wording of the 12 steps (G-d, and admitting powerlessness over the addiction because her understanding is that Hashem gave us bechira and therefore we are not allowed to say we are powerless because we're defying Hashem). I heard rabbi Taub talk about this and explain why it's not a problem at all.

Also working the (slightly revised) steps is optional on TLC and on OA we know there is no recovery from addiction without doing the full program. It's a miraculous journey, come join us! There are resources and meetings etc for frum women, let me know if you want more info.

ETA that the food plans are very similar on both.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:30 pm
To me it sounds like the difference is that in OA they align their will with god’s and in Tlc they want god to align his will with them? Im not sure it does matter how much bechira we have.

God created insulin reactions that made me eat like a maniac. I now know that if I want not to have that reaction that I can’t eat certain things god made. Some of those things are actually on the OA/FA FOOD PLANS. Probably the TLC one too.

Self will run riot is what TLC Sounds like to me. I think that The outcome is the outcome. It’s God’s will. No matter what it is or how it turns out. Whether we choose it or it happens to us. That is what being powerless means. Stuff happens. We are not in control. We have to accept it all. We can try to do what’s right, but we can’t control all outcomes. That’s powerless.

Rabbi Avraham Twerski thought that everyone should have a 12 step programme. Guess he wasn’t Frum enough.

Full disclosure- love the 12 steps, not the programme. It made me feel like as much of a failure as every other programme because at the time, it was no flour/sugar but there was fruit and other grains allowed. I suffered hard. I lost and boomeranged. I just could not fight the insulin.

I think sick people leading other sick people is inherently flawed. Sponsors are treated like doctors/rabbis/social workers. I now have an actual doctor I’m accountable to and a food plan that works for me. All the cravings and compulsive behaviour has been removed by god’s grace. He gave me retinopathy which was the best worst thing that could have happened.

In stopping all blood sugar swings, my insulin reactions lessened and then disappeared. It would appear that it was god’s will that I suffer for forty four years with an eating disorder, but it was that diagnosis that made it possible to recover from it. At 51, I’m never going off my plan.

OA taught me that. For the past 20 Years I’ve known that if something ever did end up working for me, I’d have to stay with it forever. And I do. Willingly. It’s worth every non bite I don’t have of food that makes me crazy. OA could not give me that, but they taught me that.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:18 pm
I can't offer any info on tlc as I don't know it. OA doesn't have any specific food plan contrary to what many think. There are several food plans that are commonly used but OA is not limited to them. What an OA food plan does is eliminate trigger foods which are different for every person. Discussing your trigger foods with someone who has experience with this and developing an individualized food plan is recommended. Working the 12 steps is an amazing and life changing process designed to address the reasons we run to our trigger foods. I hope you find peace and serenity and the answer that works for you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:23 pm
Is there a difference in the food plan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise