Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Thread for people who self identify as weird
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I'm so curious if anyone else has my hobby, but too nervous to post under my sn. Can you pls like this post if you share this hobby?

Hidden: 

It's researching genealogy

My uncle does that and I love that he does! He made me learn about an entire family I didn't know I had. He sent us boat tickets from ancestors who have since changed their names and moved to opposite ends of the world.
He sent me an article from the local paper in grandmothers town describing my grandmothers wedding day, from her dress detail to the venue and who the guests were. It would interest me a lot but I know that if I start I will be addicted to it like he is. You need lots of quiet time to do that research. I think it's a really cool meaningful hobby.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:44 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My uncle does that and I love that he does! He made me learn about an entire family I didn't know I had. He sent us boat tickets from ancestors who have since changed their names and moved to opposite ends of the world.
He sent me an article from the local paper in grandmothers town describing my grandmothers wedding day, from her dress detail to the venue and who the guests were. It would interest me a lot but I know that if I start I will be addicted to it like he is. You need lots of quiet time to do that research. I think it's a really cool meaningful hobby.

Thank you Thunder for saying that! I was feeling a little disappointed that no one else clicked like yet

Yes I've learned really incredible things, and connected with relatives I never knew existed, as well as met really nice, good, helpful, smart people

aricelli

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:44 am
I love this thread. Its gotten me thinking where my personal “weirdness” originates from. I can think of past experiences that definately shaped my out of the boxness and I am very creative artsy type so theres that. Also, I feel like I can see both sides to things and am open to new experiences so I’m not limited. Just exploring!

ectomorph

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:49 pm
If you were as weird as you think you are, you'd be living in a bus converted into a home in the wild

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so curious if anyone else has my hobby, but too nervous to post under my sn. Can you pls like this post if you share this hobby?

Hidden: 

This is on my "to do one day" list. I think it's a wonderful and meaningful hobby. Why are you amother? I'm sorry but this is so beautiful, it doesn't qualify as weird . Wink

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
If you were as weird as you think you are, you'd be living in a bus converted into a home in the wild

Lol

aricelli

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:19 pm
Weirdness has many different facets and means different things to different people. Living on a bus doesnt talk to me though other things do. Living in the wild sounds wonderful. Alas, dh is the epitome of groundedness and un- weird I just asked him and he said “no”. I still need him!

aricelli

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:36 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Youre so right! I guess I’m not as weird as I think I am

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:

Hidden: 

I love genealogy!!!
Are you on geni???

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
I love genealogy!!!
Are you on geni???

Yep! Very Happy

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:24 pm
youngishbear wrote:
This is on my "to do one day" list. I think it's a wonderful and meaningful hobby. Why are you amother? I'm sorry but this is so beautiful, it doesn't qualify as weird . Wink

Aw thanks!

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 1:40 pm

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 6:49 pm
I have family members on both sides who are very in to genealogy. Through one grandparent we can trace ourselves back to adam harishon- it's pretty cool Smile
My maiden name is uncommon so recently a distant relative reached out to my brother through his blog. She lives in a different country and sent us pictures of shared ancestors Smile

dankbar

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 11:04 pm
A few years ago I was into it. Continued a family tree on Geni that others in my family started. Lost membership. In meantime printed a paper tree from direct ancestry. I put it away. Then one summer when we did a family trip back to our roots, I had taken it out...when I went to kevarim & found new info & wanted to add, the family tree I printed out was gone. Looks like my cleaning help didn't know the hours of work I put into that paper.

Recently a heritage site connected me to others who had info matching my tree, dabbled in it while it was free, but now every time they find a match they want me to commit to a monthly membership in order to reveal the info.

My mom's family went to meet up with a supposedly far lost relative.

dankbar

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 11:08 pm
I think we all come here to have normal conversations. Irl people talk about petty stuff

dankbar

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 11:11 pm
I once heard a great one:
Stupid people speak about other people. Average people speak about events-happenings. Smart people talk about ideas.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:08 am
I am sometimes looked at, as weird on here, among the weirdos, so does that make me normal then or really weird?

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:59 am
Thanks everyone really enjoying the thread.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:19 am
yellow I can relate. though for me it's not necessarily weird, just misunderstood. I think there are enough normal people that no it doesn't make us normal just different in a different way then others. Hashem created each of us in his image and we just have to remember it....

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:31 am
dankbar wrote:
A few years ago I was into it. Continued a family tree on Geni that others in my family started. Lost membership. In meantime printed a paper tree from direct ancestry. I put it away. Then one summer when we did a family trip back to our roots, I had taken it out...when I went to kevarim & found new info & wanted to add, the family tree I printed out was gone. Looks like my cleaning help didn't know the hours of work I put into that paper.

Recently a heritage site connected me to others who had info matching my tree, dabbled in it while it was free, but now every time they find a match they want me to commit to a monthly membership in order to reveal the info.

My mom's family went to meet up with a supposedly far lost relative.

Same. I did some pretty extensive research, but it fell to the wayside once I exhausted online resources.
Would love to continue someday, but when I do I will have to get more serious, translating Russian documents and traveling places... so for now...
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics