Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Ou list of nonedibles

solo

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 5:27 am
I saw the Ou list of non edibles that don’t require klp certification. Does it matter if I’m using it for hot food- can I drain schnitzel on any brand of paper towels? Can I use any brand of paper hot cups for my coffee?

DVOM

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:33 am
I don't know the answer to your q OP, but I'd love to see that list. Can you post it?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:50 am
Ask the OU by phone or via their website.

grace413

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:19 am
Here's the link

https://oukosher.org/passover/passover-guide/

DVOM

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:57 am
grace413 wrote:
Here's the link

https://oukosher.org/passover/passover-guide/

Really helpful, thanks!

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:02 am
When did pesach become like this? Non edibles by definition are not chametz as they are not edible.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:19 am
We're chassidish and use any type tissues, paper towel, napkins, cups and paper good. For hot & cold dishes. It's not food.

mommyla

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 11:25 am
We're always careful with paper towels and napkins that will come in contact with hot food. They often contain starch.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:59 pm
solo wrote:
I saw the Ou list of non edibles that don’t require klp certification. Does it matter if I’m using it for hot food- can I drain schnitzel on any brand of paper towels? Can I use any brand of paper hot cups for my coffee?

Yes. That's what the OU states.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:02 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Yes. That's what the OU states.

Correct. Non edibles are listed for this purpose, in case you need to use it directly on food. Other than that non edibles don't to be checked or listed.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Correct. Non edibles are listed for this purpose, in case you need to use it directly on food. Other than that non edibles don't to be checked or listed.

I don't think that's the reason they're listed. I think its multi-fold. (1) Even sane people sometimes go a little crazy on Pesach; (2) What if .... what if I just washed my floor, and I drop a $100 roast on it. I can rinse off the roast, but it probably touched my floor cleaner .... OH NO! (3) Do I need to get rid of my Drano, and call the plumber if I have a problem? (Before you tell me how bad it is for pipes, I know, its just an example of something no one in their right mind would consume)

paperflowers

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 3:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

There are enough people who buy different shampoo for pesach that the concern can’t only be about coming into contact with food.

There was an article in the OU pesach guide about different products and why they hold that the potential chametz in them is not a problem. So it’s at least enough of a question to talk about it.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 2:27 pm
mommyla wrote:
We're always careful with paper towels and napkins that will come in contact with hot food. They often contain starch.

The starch used in paper products is inedible. If it could be eaten, your paper towels would be crawling with bugs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics