Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Going out of town, do I inform credit card co. in advance?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:49 am
I am told it is best to notify your credit card company if you are planning to be out of town. Otherwise they might close the account or block transactions from going thru because they will suspect fraud activitiy if suddenly they see transactions from OOT,
Is this true?
Because my mom is very sick, may she have a refuah sheleimah, and I do not know an exact date when I will need to travel, but when I do need to travel it might be so spur of the moment that I will not have a chance to call the Credit Card company/s.
And I will definitely need my credit card during my travels for taking cabs, car services, and ordering food out...and who knows for what else???
Please let me know if I should call them NOW and just explain to them what I wrote here,
(without giving them specific dates).

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:53 am
I only do so when traveling internationally

Miri1

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:54 am
Refuah sheleimah to your mom.
We've had the cc company flag transactions occasionally when made out of town, but I don't think it was such a big deal - they called to verify and we verified. May depend on the cc company.
However if you don't want to be bothered with that, just call them when you need to travel. And if you forget just call when you get there.
May your mom have a complete refuah sheleima.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:54 am
I don't think it's necessary, especially since the expenses you are talking about are obviously travel related.

Hope your mother has a refuah shelaimah!

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:59 am
They generally don't cancel but flag transactions.

I have had that happen when something triggered their algorithm of fraud indicia.

I now call ahead if I know I will be charging something out of my ordinary jurisdiction - why not - it only takes a minute or so to let them know.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:46 am
Amarante wrote:
They generally don't cancel but flag transactions.

I have had that happen when something triggered their algorithm of fraud indicia.

I now call ahead if I know I will be charging something out of my ordinary jurisdiction - why not - it only takes a minute or so to let them know.

OK so the reason I am asking is because at the moment I do not have an exact date to tell the CC company. Can I just call and tell them I am planning to be OOT sometime in the next couple of weeks without telling them a specific date, and they should just make a note of it on my file?

Also I thank everyone for their brochos for my mother to have a refuah sheleimah! It means so much to me! Amein to all those brochos!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
OK so the reason I am asking is because at the moment I do not have an exact date to tell the CC company. Can I just call and tell them I am planning to be OOT sometime in the next couple of weeks without telling them a specific date, and they should just make a note of it on my file?

Also I thank everyone for their brochos for my mother to have a refuah sheleimah! It means so much to me! Amein to all those brochos!

Of course you can.

teachkids

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:35 am
just tell them that you have family in X city/ state/country, and there may be charges from there.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:38 am
Refuah sheleimah to your mom. Hug

You do not need one more thing to worry about. Call your CC company and give them an approximate date of travel and the location you'll be staying.

You might not need to do it, it might not raise any red flags, but you definitely can cross that off your to-do list, and focus on your mom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics