Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Gifts for afikomen

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:08 am
Before I come to my main point just out of interest who hides the afikomen at your seder the kids or their father or is hiding the afikomen not part of your seder?
Do you buy gifts for finding the afikomen? What kind of gifts and how much do you spend? Do you give one thing to all children participating or each child individually? If giving toys what toys are the "in thing" currently?

sirel

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:20 am
the kids hide the afikomen and bring it back when it's time to eat it. No bargaining.

on chol hamoed or after yom tov everyone gets a present - sort of like a birthday present, but it's called an afikomen present. individual presents. I don't know whats "in" now, we have a big range of ages Bli ayin hara.
(I budget for it like birthday presents)

It's the "thank you for helping and behaving so wonderfully before and during yom tov when there is so much concentrated family time" present.
But it's not dependent on behaviour Smile

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 7:02 am
Dh asks the kids to save it in a safe place and protect it from breaking. He "pays" them with a game or prize. If we have decided something beforehand, I will plant that idea in their heads then convince them to ask Tatti for it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 7:21 am
Dh "hides" it at the seder and the kids go hunting to find it and then hide it from him! He bargains with each kid when he needs it back to eat afikomen.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:14 pm
I'd never agree to bargain or have it stolen. He hids, and the winner has a gift, we often take a gift that goes for all

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 3:39 pm
The children hide it, and then bring it back. In this generation, no gifts or bargaining on the spot, although they do get small Pesach gifts. I recall bargaining to be very unpleasant as a child.

nchr

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 6:11 pm
All of the kids may ask for one gift (under $10) and if they find an uncle's afikoman then that particular child may ask for one gift (under $5)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics