Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What would you do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:04 pm
I went to the park with my kids today. My 6!year old right away found a friend and ran off to play. After noticing that I haven’t seen him in a bit I went looking for him and found him at the edge of the playground, alone on his bike, biting back tears. I asked him what happened but he pretended he never cried and said all was fine, no one did or said anything and he’s ok. I tried to show him I cared, told him I can try to help him feel better if he shares. The tears were a little harder to hold back now but I’m the end he managed and still claimed nothing happened. I let him know I cared and that if he wants to share later I’d love to hear. I can’t stop thinking about it though. I want to know what happened, what caused him to feel this way. Was it the kids? Was it something I did unintentionally to hurt him? Is it the way he felt about himself? Is there any way to have gotten him to talk? He is a very closed off child by nature and I have a hard time knowing what’s going on under the surface. I’d love to hear advice and how you would have handled this situation.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:43 am
Bump. Any advice on how to respond to above situation. How do you get a child to talk about what’s bothering them?

teachkids

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:02 am
I think you handled it perfectly- letting him know you were there but leaving it up to him if he wanted to talk.
Some kids don't like to talk in the moment, but would be happy to talk later once they've processed. You could invite again later at bedtime or snack time " I noticed you were sad in the park before and it makes me sad to see you sad. Do you want to talk about what made you sad or forget about it?"

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:38 am
teachkids wrote:
I think you handled it perfectly- letting him know you were there but leaving it up to him if he wanted to talk.
Some kids don't like to talk in the moment, but would be happy to talk later once they've processed. You could invite again later at bedtime or snack time " I noticed you were sad in the park before and it makes me sad to see you sad. Do you want to talk about what made you sad or forget about it?"

That's exactly what I do. Sometimes he shares and sometimes he doesn't. He reminds me of my dh that he just needs his space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics