Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help with my 7 year old DS

Hanna1

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:17 pm
Hi everyone!
I'm desperate for help in dealing with my 7 year old son. He is a brilliant boy, smart and all that. The problem starts when he asks for something and gets a no. What follows afterwards is 2 year old behavior. For instance, today he wanted to blow bubbles. I calmly stated that we will start using it after pesach. He started hitting me. I Hit him back. He started throwing things, overturning chairs, etc. He scratched and tried to bite me. I locked him out for a few minutes til he calmed down. Later he asked me for forgiveness without me prompting. This happens ever so often, few times a week. Any insight how to help him control his anger and accept a no from his parents without blowing up?
Sorry this is so long, his behavior is really affecting negatively on the rest of our family.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:36 pm
He really needs you to model calm responses to disappointment.
Instead of hitting him back, locking him out, etc. Can you help him talk through his disappointment, anger, rage, etc. And set limits calmly, firmly, but without anger and extreme reactions

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 3:44 pm
Stop hitting him.
Read Ross greene"s book "the explosive child" book and implement the ideas into your parenting.
It will be life changing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children