Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
New Kitchen Installation? How do you like it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 11:54 am
Many people put new kitchens in this time of year.

Very often something goes wrong with big construction jobs.

What do you love/like/dislike/hate about your new kitchen?

Now that the kitchen is installed, would you have done anything differently?

Is your kitchen wood or mica? Modern? Traditional? in between?

If youre in NY, where did you buy the cabinets? Do you feel you got a good deal?

If you used a decorator, was their advice well worth it?

Is there anything you cold have done that would have saved you money?

Any info you can offer is appreciated.

TriAspora

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:55 pm
I am enjoying our new wood cabinets a lot! I regret only a few things. One is the kitchen sink. We should have planned a base that accomodates a wider sink. Outside sink dimensions are larger than inside, so the size that seemed ok on paper feels smallish in real life. There is not a lot of room without moving the plumbing (which we could not afford), but the available space could have been maximized better.

Another thing I regret is not installing a strip under the cabinets that has lighting plus outlets and usb chargers. This would have been fantastic. I have outlets in the backsplash that look alright, but the backsplash would be prettier without them.

A small thing that bothered me in the beginning is that our faucet has shiny finish while all other fixtures are matte. When I realized, it was too late to exchange it. By now it's a non-issue.

I used a kitchen designer for the floor plan and she was a tremendous help, but we bought some things (including that shiny faucet) ourselves.

I love the wine rack, having deep bottom drawers for pots, a little shelf for sponges in front of the sink and the broom closet.

I recommend looking at as many kitchens at houzz and similar sites as you can and get a feel what you like. Try visiting recently updated kitchens or even an Ikea store and decide if you like/need trendy stuff: various pull out drawers for pots and pans, vertical spice racks, etc. Figure out where you want the sink(s), the stove(s) and the fridge and if you need (and can afford) moving the plumbing.Then you fit everything else around it. Hatzlocho!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:58 pm
TriAspora wrote:
I am enjoying our new wood cabinets a lot! I regret only a few things. One is the kitchen sink. We should have planned a base that accomodates a wider sink. Outside sink dimensions are larger than inside, so the size that seemed ok on paper feels smallish in real life. There is not a lot of room without moving the plumbing (which we could not afford), but the available space could have been maximized better.

Another thing I regret is not installing a strip under the cabinets that has lighting plus outlets and usb chargers. This would have been fantastic. I have outlets in the backsplash that look alright, but the backsplash would be prettier without them.

A small thing that bothered me in the beginning is that our faucet has shiny finish while all other fixtures are matte. When I realized, it was too late to exchange it. By now it's a non-issue.

I used a kitchen designer for the floor plan and she was a tremendous help, but we bought some things (including that shiny faucet) ourselves.

I love the wine rack, having deep bottom drawers for pots, a little shelf for sponges in front of the sink and the broom closet.

I recommend looking at as many kitchens at houzz and similar sites as you can and get a feel what you like. Try visiting recently updated kitchens or even an Ikea store and decide if you like/need trendy stuff: various pull out drawers for pots and pans, vertical spice racks, etc. Figure out where you want the sink(s), the stove(s) and the fridge and if you need (and can afford) moving the plumbing.Then you fit everything else around it. Hatzlocho!

My kitchen is five years old but I just recently added strip lighting under the cabinets for really cheap. I also just did my backsplash and put all outlets along the top so it's not noticable in the tiles.
The best thing I have is three sinks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries