Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why plus size clothing shops use models who are so very plus

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:21 pm
(I hope nobody will take offense at my thoughts. I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just expressing my opinion and you're welcome to disagree.)

I know I'm overweight. I wear my clothing to try to camoflage as much as possible and I certainly am not flaunting my curves.

But when I see the models on the websites and in the catalogs, I can't figure out why the company chose models are quite quite plus.

I feel like if something is modeled by a woman who's a compact 14, 16, 18 or even 20, I can imagine that I don't look any worse.

Would you say it's lack of fat acceptance? Or do you have the old-fashioned notion that if someone wants to sell clothing, they should show them on an attractive model?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
(I hope nobody will take offense at my thoughts. I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just expressing my opinion and you're welcome to disagree.)

I know I'm overweight. I wear my clothing to try to camoflage as much as possible and I certainly am not flaunting my curves.

But when I see the models on the websites and in the catalogs, I can't figure out why the company chose models are quite quite plus.

I feel like if something is modeled by a woman who's a compact 14, 16, 18 or even 20, I can imagine that I don't look any worse.

Would you say it's lack of fat acceptance? Or do you have the old-fashioned notion that if someone wants to sell clothing, they should show them on an attractive model?

Speaking As someone who has spent a great deal of my life morbidly obese, my highest weight being 315 and I’m five one, I have to say that I think it’s nice to see something that I could conceivably envision me in. I was a size 30-32. I could not imagine wearing a 14-16-18 or even 20.

As it is, I have a huge chest and I’m still short and fat ( even tho I am now 90 lbs less) and since I can buy regular sized xl stuff in some stores now, I actually dislike how all the models are tall and skinny for everything I look at. I’ll never be tall. I’ll only ever be flat chested if I have surgery and no woman who is six two is ever going to reflect how something g will look on me, no matter how thin I might become.

Just like not every piece of clothing was designed with my apple shaped huge stomach and boobs with my small butt and pretty legs, models come in different shapes and sizes. I like when they use them of all shapes and sizes. I think it’s not just fat acceptance, it’s a reflection of the diversity among women. We aren’t homogeneous. It’s nice to finally have some pictures that reflect how I look. And yes, now I’m a 14/16. But I’m still short and fat. Maybe I’ll get smaller, maybe not. But whatever. I’m healthy

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:42 pm
Funny that you say that. Because I always look at plus sized models and think they don't look plus size at all. At most an xl in regular sizing. And I feel like it adds to the 'skinny mentality' considering them plus size when to me they look average.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:45 pm
I remembering reading somewhere that they found that plus size woman were more likely to try on clothing worn by a plus size model than by a smaller sized model. In other words we all try on clothing that we can conceive will look good on us- not our next door neighbor. Sorry. It's really just good marketing. But we definitely have come some ways where we can even acknowledge that.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
Funny that you say that. Because I always look at plus sized models and think they don't look plus size at all. At most an xl in regular sizing. And I feel like it adds to the 'skinny mentality' considering them plus size when to me they look average.

Up until recently plus size models wire size 12 or 14. However in the last few years that has changed and you do see size 20 models with rolls of fat.
I actually appreciate that all body types are being accepted and that clothing is being made for those figures as well. It used to be a big struggle finding plus size clothes. I think it's a lot easier now that they make these clothes and show actual plus sized mannequins and models so that you can truly picture how the item will look on you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 4:58 pm
Quote:
so that you can truly picture how the item will look on you.
yeah, I guess that's just what I don't want to do.

You know how they say anorexics nebach have a fat body image even when they're thin? I have the opposite problem, I guess. I pretend to myself that I don't look so large...

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
so that you can truly picture how the item will look on you.
yeah, I guess that's just what I don't want to do.

You know how they say anorexics nebach have a fat body image even when they're thin? I have the opposite problem, I guess. I pretend to myself that I don't look so large...

hehe. Me too. And I agree with you. I don't feel like I'm so plus size. Top I'm between XL and 1X and bottom I'm about an 18. I'm also, quite tall, so I carry it a bit better, I guess. I am big, but I feel like a lot of the plus size clothes don't look flattering and yet there are things that look flattering on me. I don't know. Or maybe there are just a few plus size models and put them in all the clothes, regardless of what flatters them.

nylon

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:17 pm
It's only recently that they use models bigger than a 12 le 14. I hated it because if you're a 20 it looks much different. It's more realistic when the plus sized models are actually plus size.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:24 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Up until recently plus size models wire size 12 or 14. However in the last few years that has changed and you do see size 20 models with rolls of fat.
I actually appreciate that all body types are being accepted and that clothing is being made for those figures as well. It used to be a big struggle finding plus size clothes. I think it's a lot easier now that they make these clothes and show actual plus sized mannequins and models so that you can truly picture how the item will look on you.

This thread makes me feel skinny. I live in the U.K. where I am a size 16 but am only a 12-14 in US sizing. I could be a model. Well if I were a foot taller. 🤣

I have a big chest and definitely prefer seeing the bras I want to purchase on curvier women. With clothes in general though, I buy what I want and am not swayed by the type of model regardless of whether she is skinny or chubbier. The only time I assess a model is with skirt length. If it is just above the knees of a regular model, it is likely to be below knee length on me. 🤣

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:

This exactly. I'm overweight (size 14) and when I look at those models I could swear they're size 6 or 8 sometimes. That makes me feel aweful. Besides it won't look that way on me as it looks on her since she has abs and a perfect tummy. I understand they want their clothes to look nice and a slim body makes them look nicer but still.

I've never seen a plus size model that I considered too fat to be a plus size model. People wanna see what the clothes with look like on them, so if someone is size 30 they shouldn't have their clothes modeled from a size 12.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:25 am
10 years ago, you'd be hard-pressed to find any plus-sized models outside of Lane Bryant catalogs.

Now there are plus-sized models, body-type acceptance, etc., and people are complaining that the models are *too fat?*

Just goes to show you can't please everybody.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics