Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Funny Erev Pesach meals
Previous  1  2

rising hero

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:00 pm
While I dont agree with blessing I hear what she is saying. I wouldnt tell my kids pretend its tuna patties. I would say noodles are for supper today and whoever is still hungry can have some wafers...

Last edited by rising hero on Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:07 pm
Today's dinner was pasta. My family was quite pleased.
I don't make myself crazy before Pesach and my kitchen is still completely chometzdig. But I don't sell actual chometz products and work on using them up. So yesterday I made tuna patties so that I could use the bit of bread crumbs I had. Today was baked ziti to use the two boxes of pasta I had. I'm trying to empty out what I have so at this point there isn't much left. We will then work on all the bread and pita and make grill cheese for dinner with scrambled eggs. By the time Shabbos comes my chometz will be down to nothing and we will switch over to Pesach food.
As long as mom and dad are not yelling and screaming, the kids are fed (doesn't matter what, ad long as they are fed) and everyone is otherwise happy, there is nothing wrong with these chop-lop suppers during the Bein Hashmoshos period from chometz to Pesach.

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:19 pm
Mine was a hit! I cooked these oversized pasta shells that were sitting in my pantry, stuffed it with a piece of rolled up pastramy, drizzled it with the last dregs of my duck sauce and the kids were thrilled!

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:28 pm
chaj wrote:
not sure if it was a weird meal today but I cooked all leftover frozen veggies with random leftover pasta and tofu and called it soup. my kids came home looked inside the pot and were like oi mommy what is this?? so I pureed it and it looked even more weird because of the pureed tofu. But miracle: my kids loved it and even said if I can make more often Smile

Ha! I'm sure now your upset you don't know what/how much you put in there.....
This is one way how new recipes come about....

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:32 pm
aricelli wrote:
Mine was a hit! I cooked these oversized pasta shells that were sitting in my pantry, stuffed it with a piece of rolled up pastramy, drizzled it with the last dregs of my duck sauce and the kids were thrilled!

Love this!

Or you can stuff those shells with cottage cheese (I let my kids fill them. They were busy am hour with it best pastime) and drizzled 3:1 cocoa:sugar on top.....
Perfect for long Friday afternoons where you need to keep little ones entertained....

I love those shells!

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:33 pm
By the way OP - I’m going to steal your idea: my kids would find it a hoot to set our dinner table with the last remains of the chometz nosh and pretend its real food! What a treat for them! (After they eat something a bit healthier- otherwise they start bouncing) but I gotta try this!

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:47 pm
I'm also confused- is pasta not a main dish? When I serve pasta I don't usually serve anything else with it.... (maybe some cut up veggies and/or fruit but no other "main" thing).

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:51 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I'm also confused- is pasta not a main dish? When I serve pasta I don't usually serve anything else with it.... (maybe some cut up veggies and/or fruit but no other "main" thing).

Plain pasta? When I serve pasta I try to put either some cheese on it or mix in some deli cubes to make it a bit more of a meal. I guess the tomato catsup can serve as a vegetable in a pinch!

abaker

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:19 pm
Right before turning the kitchen over I always end up going out to buy more chametz. Like last year there was nothing to eat. I think we bought frozen chicken nuggets and tater tots. Ate them on the floor with a big bag of kettle corn (sweet popcorn) that was left in the pantry. All the counters and tables were covered already...it was just the oven that was about to be self cleaned.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:10 pm
lucky14 wrote:

To me, plain pasta is not a balanced dinner. It’s ok if mom is sick etc but shouldn’t be a regular dinner. But you don’t have to agree with me. Pasta with a veggie, tomato sauce, and cheese is more balanced

pause

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:23 pm
Pasta is a starch and as such a side dish. Our main is a protein (chicken, fish, beans, eggs, dairy) or, less ideal, has protein in it.

Tomorrow we're having gefilte fish for supper. I like to stock up on the company my family likes and miscalculated by one roll, so I'm gonna make fish balls or patties out of the extra roll.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 2:08 am
tichellady wrote:
To me, plain pasta is not a balanced dinner. It’s ok if mom is sick etc but shouldn’t be a regular dinner. But you don’t have to agree with me. Pasta with a veggie, tomato sauce, and cheese is more balanced

oh I assumed something was put on the pasta. I always serve it cheesed/sauced.

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:13 am
I am making empanadas today. It's a patchka, but I will use up some more flour. I will serve with Spanish corn and rice and beans.

Yesterday was previously frozen fish and white rice. (Today the guilt set in. )

aricelli

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:34 am
Wedding tonight! No supper- yay!

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:53 am
aricelli wrote:

Miriam Pascal has such a type of recipe officially. I always make it as an appetizer for yom tov
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics