Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for moshe?
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:46 pm
Raisin wrote:
Matthew is Mattisyahu.

True story: The singer Mattisyahu was named Matthew. When he bacame frum he changed it to Mattisyahu, assuming that was his hebrew name. Much later on he discovered his hebrew name is actually...Faivish. LOL Anyway I would avoid giving an anglicised version of another hebrew name for that reason.

I think the name Moses is actually more trendy then Marvin or Morris.

Moses is used in general by Hispanics (or other ethnicities) or Chassidish people. Marvin and Morris are not trendy but no problem using them. Our kids have very dated English names.

pizzapie

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:07 pm
Another vote for Mason. Its very popular right now.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:17 pm
Matthew
Max
Mattan

sky

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
I like to give my kids English names on their birth certificates. Besides for Mark/Marc, what is a name I can use for Moshe?

Most of my kids have English names accept my Moshe. I didn’t like the options.
In the end my non Jewish coworkers pronounce it correctly and think it’s cool.

(We only give English names with known Hebrew spellings - based on a sefer - so we tend to be stuck to using more traditional names. We were told to do this by our rav)

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:06 pm
Raisin wrote:
Matthew is Mattisyahu.

True story: The singer Mattisyahu was named Matthew. When he bacame frum he changed it to Mattisyahu, assuming that was his hebrew name. Much later on he discovered his hebrew name is actually...Faivish. LOL Anyway I would avoid giving an anglicised version of another hebrew name for that reason.

I think the name Moses is actually more trendy then Marvin or Morris.

Yup, Gwynth Paltrow’s son is Moses. And I agree. Marshall Miles or Max are better than Michael which is a different biblical name.

chay

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:26 pm
Or you can do Drew,
Like the meaning of Moshe

Spaghetti7

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:33 pm
Go with Moses :-)

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:52 pm
Is there any reason why it needs to start with an M or be related to Moshe?
Can you go with just the name that you just like?
What about someone who you would never actually name after, but name in the persons honor/memory/hakarat hatov?
Like your first boss, who gave you a big break, and was both a tremendous Mench and a mentor to you?
The bus driver from when you were seven, who made a huge impression on you because he prevented bullying when he could've just ignored the situation put his headphones on and just drove?
The building super who looks in after your grandfather, just because he's a nice guy.
An author who wrote a book that inspired you and open up a new world to you?

Is there a non-Jewish name that brings a smile to your face?
When I named my kids, the English name was for emergency/just for fun, I don't see why you should be forced into a box and pick from a list you don't like.

Someone did mention their Rav and his instructions in regard to an English name. If you have a similar psack/minhag, then please disregard. I would never want to contradict. I personally wasn't give such instructions.

aricelli

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:56 pm
my in laws did a translation for dh that belongs to a different name. Later on they had a child with that true name. So now they have two children with the same birth certificate name. It causes a lot of confusion

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:55 pm
What about Moe? In America, baseball lovers might have heard of Moe Berg. It is clearly a name, (Mo is cute but might be considered as a nickname), and is pretty hard to mispronounce. To Jews, it is clear that the boy's hebrew name is very likely to be Moshe, as opposed to say, Michoel.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 2:02 pm
martin?

lcraighten

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:49 pm
What about keeping Moshe? Neither me nor my husband or my kids have anglicized names and it hasn't been a problem. If you have a more difficult hebrew name (like anything with a "CH") I understand, but Moshe is really easy to pronounce.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:52 pm
Marcel?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 5:18 pm
Of all those mentioned, Max is the most up to date. It is back in vogue now. The others are all names that bring to mind men 40+ (Mitch) or 70+(Marvin, Morris). Mason was in like 10 years ago. Michael is timeless. Drew is short for Andrew. Matthew is actually a x-tian name.
( I would probably go with Moses, tbh.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names