Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Long plane trip, stopover, no food - advice?!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:45 am
Going to Israel IYH. 9 hours flying, 4 hours layover, 3 hours flying. Kids are school age. I know for a fact that they will not eat airplane food. And the airline we're flying has pretty harsh restrictions on carry on size.

What food can I bring that isn't liquid and not too perishable to eat up to 20 hours away from home?! Afraid to bring PB sandwiches in case someone has an airborne allergy (maybe I read too much?) The layover is in a country where I can't count on kosher food being available to purchase (not to mention that I'd have the wrong currency for it?!)

For activities on the plane, I have an ipad, coloring/activity/paper doll book, books to read, and I'm seriously considering benadryl to promote sleep. For the 4-hour stopover I'm not sure how we're going to stay sane.

Tips, please!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:50 am
Bring room temp easy to eat food like chicken nuggets.
Btw, currency doesn't matter, you could use a credit card to make purchases.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:06 pm
pot noodles
cheese strings
vac wrapped cold cuts or meat sticks.
muffins, cookies, granola bars.
Dried fruit snacks
mini cereal boxes. (my kids will eat those without milk happily)
cream cheese or tuna sandwiches that you should eat early on.
something kids like like jam or (nut free) chocolate spread sandwiches.
You can eat the peanut butter sandwiches on the stopover.

You should be able to buy fruit juice on stopover, maybe also fruit, maybe other items, check with local kashrus agency. (or google x airport kosher food, someone elses has probably had this situation before)

Which airline are you flying? Maybe someone can tell you about the food. Some airline meals are pretty kid friendly.

nchr

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:07 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Bring room temp easy to eat food like chicken nuggets.
Btw, currency doesn't matter, you could use a credit card to make purchases.

Not a good idea because chicken nuggets will spoil. Ice packs are generally not allowed on planes depending on their consistency at the time you enter security both times.

OP, bring bananas, oranges, peanuts, crackers. Dried fruits do well on the plane. Granola. If you freeze your soup solid, that can be allowed on the plane, but it cannot be slushy when you go through TSA. Eat before you fly. Protein cookies. You can bring 3 ounces of peanut butter or hummus, but may be able to buy more in the airport, which would be good. That's more than enough to hold you down for a few days. Your kids will eat plane food if they are hungry.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:09 pm
Raisin said it all.
I want to travel with her!

nchr

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:12 pm
Raisin wrote:

cream cheese or tuna sandwiches that you should eat early on.
something kids like like jam or (nut free) chocolate spread sandwiches.
You can eat the peanut butter sandwiches on the stopover.

You need to be careful about these. Although they are on sandwiches, the spreads are gooey and if more than 3 ounces each and together, you'll be asked to throw away the entire sandwich at security.

Frozen soups that can be eaten cold (ie minestrone, fruit, tomato) are a great way to get something hearty through security.

Last edited by nchr on Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:15 pm
I successfully used melatonin on the plane to help kids sleep, and also at destination for jet lag. It's much less heavy duty than Benadryl. I tried it out at home once first but otherwise I don't use it. Use a small dose to try it out. Like 1/2 mg at most.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:19 pm
nchr wrote:
You need to be careful about these. Although they are on sandwiches, the spreads are gooey and if more than 3 ounces each and together, you'll be asked to throw away the entire sandwich at security.

Frozen soups that can be eaten cold (ie minestrone, fruit, tomato) are a great way to get something hearty through security.

I've never been asked to throw out a sandwich. Really??? Did that happen to you? Although every airport has different rules. In one European airport they were super chilled about even older kids bringing liquids. I was allowed to bring a bottle of drink for my 5 year old! Another one made me throw out pouches of baby food for my 1 year old because it didn't pass the test. Sad

nchr

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:23 pm
Raisin wrote:
I've never been asked to throw out a sandwich. Really??? Did that happen to you? Although every airport has different rules. In one European airport they were super chilled about even older kids bringing liquids. I was allowed to bring a bottle of drink for my 5 year old! Another one made me throw out pouches of baby food for my 1 year old because it didn't pass the test. Sad

It depends on where the airline is flying to and from. In generally, it only applies to flights to and from the US and UK because they were the targets of the plotted liquid attack. That is why Israeli security has never taken liquid away from us but it always must be thrown out before boarding. Oddly, I purchased liquids right across from the boarding area and was forced to throw that away too because the airline does not allow any liquids on since it is not properly vetted as part of the airport's general security. It definitely depends on the airport and the particular individual viewing your bag, but I have been asked to throw away peanut butter and jam sandwiches (Newark - it could have been the jam but peanut butter is considered to be in the same category).

trixx

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:25 pm
Dried oatmeal packets and tradition soups
Hot water from any coffee store should be OK

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:29 pm
Freeze turkey and pastrami sandwiches. You can bring a soft insulated lunch pack for those if you'd like.
Dried salami vacuum seal packets.
Natural fruit leather.
Cut veggies sticks.
Humus & pretzel packages
Hard eggs
String cheese
Granola bars
Crackers & rice cake
Snack bags
Little containers or rice or pasta that can be eaten at room temp should do fine.

nchr

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Humus & pretzel packages

The hummus is generally over the 3.4 ounces allowed through security. You'll need to buy these after passing through security. Also, some airports will still ask you to throw them away before boarding if going to the US.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:34 pm
Also, where is the stopover? Some airports have play areas for kids to burn off energy. Easier to research in advance.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:41 pm
Bring tradition soups a mini hot water heater.

mommyla

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:43 pm
Raisin wrote:

I've never heard that either, but I have been stopped for sandwiches wrapped in silver foil. The TSA unpacked every. single. item from our food bags because of that. Pack sandwiches in bags! (We also had a similar issue with Bissli.)

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:46 pm
Tradition soup (get hot water on the plane)
Oatmeal
Macaroni+cottage cheese+ketchup
Cream cheese bagel
Pretzels+hummus snack packs
Basically anything you would send for lunch in school, but not smelly food (tuna, eggs...)
AND NO PEANUTS OR PEANUT BUTTER. You do NOT want to send someone into anaphylactic shock and cause an emergency landing.
Wrap everything in saran wrap or sandwich bags.

DVOM

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:54 pm
I've only taken a long flight with my kids once, and it was a while ago, but I remember also being afraid of them getting hungry and having nothing to feed them.

I made 'granola' bars out of PB, marshmallow fluff, fiber 1 cereal, and nuts (this is my kids' breakfast most days. They love it.). It travels well and is very filling. I also made bran muffins. We brought sandwhiches too.

Your kids might surprise you though. In the end, my fears were unfounded. My very picky eaters were enchanted with the experience of getting thier own meal tray. The airline meals had rolls and little squares of cake, and I think packets of chumus if I'm remembering correctly; they ate it all up. They also likes the little bags of nuts and pretzels that they gave out mid flight. My less picky eaters also ate the actual meal (pasta with some sort of meat).

kidsmom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:54 pm
Wow thanks all for this advice! Not op here but same situation (op maybe we'll meet on flight... Tongue Out)

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:59 pm
Oh, & about benadryl. Op I saw u mentioned u would give it . Last time I flew I had to give it to my almost 2 yr old. Not to put to sleep, only for an allergic reaction. He was very fussy for the rest of the flight. I also saw on another thread about this, that not all kids react well to it & it can really backfire.
FIor entertainment, bought lots of little toys & prizes, similar to Rubik' s cubes & brainy mazes. Plus many activities, books...

Last edited by amother on Sun, Apr 14 2019, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Also, where is the stopover? Some airports have play areas for kids to burn off energy. Easier to research in advance.

Kiev. Anyone know?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics