Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Long plane trip, stopover, no food - advice?!
Previous  1  2

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Kiev. Anyone know?

Is this the one? https://kbp.aero/en/infra/children-2/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:30 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Is this the one? https://kbp.aero/en/infra/children-2/
Yeah. Looks extremely lame for anyone over the age of 3, I.e. my whole family.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:38 pm
Now about the food.

I know my kids won't touch it because we flew a different time and no luck. And the food was good there, I enjoyed it very much. Current airline does not have a reputation for good food in the first place so I'm not optimistic.

Granola bars, muffins - check. A little iffy bringing crumby things when we're heading to a pesachdik house but we'll try to keep it away from our other stuff.
My kids don't like cold cuts.
Fruit and veggies - sure.
Cereal - Good idea. And I can get corn-based cereal so not chometz concern.
Cream cheese, string cheese, eggs, tuna - too perishable.
Nut free spread - maybe.
Frozen soup - not feeling it but interesting.
Instant oatmeal is a cool idea, you sure about being able to use any hot water?

I REALLY don't understand them making you throw out bottled water that you bought at the airport. Happened to me last time we flew and it's obnoxious. You already had to throw everything out coming into the airport, so shouldn't anything you bought afterward be safe? Sheesh.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:46 pm
We are also flying to Israel with a stopover. We are doing a night flight. Once we are past security or at the beginning of the flight we will have chicken nuggets and some type of potatoes. Cut up fruit and veggies.

Once we arrive at the stopover kids will need breakfast so planning to freeze in advance small water bottles that will be filled with milk for cereal, coffee and hot cocoa. I will also freeze the squeezable yogurts, lebens and applesauce. Will take along pasta too.

We will also have bagels/rolls that I will precut so we can do cream cheese in it for the kids that want.

Edited to add that none of us will touch any plane food

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah. Looks extremely lame for anyone over the age of 3, I.e. my whole family.

Sorry. Good to know anyway maybe, in case they want to do cartwheels or play tag or something.. if it's empty they can take advantage.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:58 pm
How about tuna in pouches?

Can you freeze yogurts or squeezable yogurts and bring them?

Do your kids like those “energy bars”?

Can you bring zucchini or carrot muffins to get in some veggies?

Do they like apple sauce pouches?

Can you pack large empty ziplocks to fill with ice at the airport to keep things cold?

It’s very kind that you’re concerned about airborne allergies, but don’t many airlines serve peanuts as snacks? I think it’s ok to bring nuts.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:59 pm
Melatonin is amazing

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 6:33 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Tradition soup (get hot water on the plane)
Oatmeal
Macaroni+cottage cheese+ketchup
Cream cheese bagel
Pretzels+hummus snack packs
Basically anything you would send for lunch in school, but not smelly food (tuna, eggs...)
AND NO PEANUTS OR PEANUT BUTTER. You do NOT want to send someone into anaphylactic shock and cause an emergency landing.
Wrap everything in saran wrap or sandwich bags.

Lol! Not that your consideration isn't admirable, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the Israeli kids on the flight probably have bamba with them, especially if they're older babies/toddlers.

OP, like others said, hot water will be available anywhere, on the plane or in cafes, so anything instant should be a safe bet. Whole fruit and veg (carrots, cukes, etc) are good options, too. And the best part is you're traveling to Israel, so worst case scenario your kids are starving upon arrival but then you're in the land of kosher food!

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Now about the food.

I know my kids won't touch it because we flew a different time and no luck. And the food was good there, I enjoyed it very much. Current airline does not have a reputation for good food in the first place so I'm not optimistic.

Granola bars, muffins - check. A little iffy bringing crumby things when we're heading to a pesachdik house but we'll try to keep it away from our other stuff.
My kids don't like cold cuts.
Fruit and veggies - sure.
Cereal - Good idea. And I can get corn-based cereal so not chometz concern.
Cream cheese, string cheese, eggs, tuna - too perishable.
Nut free spread - maybe.
Frozen soup - not feeling it but interesting.
Instant oatmeal is a cool idea, you sure about being able to use any hot water?

I REALLY don't understand them making you throw out bottled water that you bought at the airport. Happened to me last time we flew and it's obnoxious. You already had to throw everything out coming into the airport, so shouldn't anything you bought afterward be safe? Sheesh.

cheese strings should be fine. Not that I would keep them out the fridge for weeks on end but for a day or two is perfectly safe. Cheese was invented as a way to preserve milk before refigerators.

Don't bring too much chametz items and throw out before you leave the airport upon landing. Or put in small bag to burn with chametz. Maybe put all chamets food in a disposable shopping bag so you don't get crumbs in your bags.

Also, what about rice and corn cakes or those hummus/lentil chips they sell?

OutATowner

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Kiev. Anyone know?

When I was in Kiev about 10 years ago I remember thinking that the whole airport seemed smaller than Target. Don't know if it changed, but it was tiny. Maybe it's changed.
Eta: must have been different than the link posted above. That area would have been amazing. Good luck, op, some pretty good ideas here.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:14 pm
Oh yes, lentil or chickpea snacks like hippeas.

How about beef jerky?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:29 am
I often fly long haul flights with layovers in the Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc.) where there is absolutely no kosher food.

If you have kids under let’s say 5. I bring baby bottles of frozen milk. Then when it defrosts I’ve got milk for my coffee and milk for cereal for kids. Double win.

Instant soups, and oatmeal. I bring big styrofoam cups and disposable spoons for cereal and milk and oatmeal.

We often take night flights so I get yummy takeout food that I know my kids like on the way to the airport. We check in and then go to a lounge and have dinner. And it’s usuallt junky food that my kids love and then we clean up throw it out and head to plane. They usually serve supper right after takeoff and basically my kids pick at the rolls and pieces of cake.

Then for breakfast we do cereal milk/ oatmeal and bagels with sliced cheese. I also have each kid have their own little backpack with toys and a lunch box. In lunch box I have regular snacks that they like. And they can eat as they want. Like whatever snacks they eat usually.

Then during layover. We get treats- like coke. (It doesn’t make my kids so hyper) and I try and find an empty gate to let my kids sort of jump around. I also often have a special toy that they haven’t seen yet to whip out now. Something small.

Last leg. It’s usually more of the same. (I do 30 hour trips sometimes.) so last flight kids usually crash.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics