Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are there any RN’s that can answer a question ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:38 pm
If working night shifts, when do you say you can’t work Fri. Nights ? Sat nights ? When do you tell ? At the interview ? In general how does 12 hr shift at hospital work out schedulingwise with Shabbos ?

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:45 pm
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but my dh is an RN and he works all shifts. Shabbat, yontif, etc.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:47 pm
This is very dependent on the unit and hospital. I brought it up at my interview and they worked with me. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting a job which requires every other weekend without being open about my scheduling needs. You are better off in the long run if you're open and honest from the get go. Had I not said anything until after being hired on they would have gone out of their way to make my life miserable.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:49 pm
Teomima wrote:
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but my dh is an RN and he works all shifts. Shabbat, yontif, etc.

I'm assuming this is in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:51 pm
Ty for your response ! Now how does it work practically..
Like break is down for me. It’s 3 night a week, sometimes 4? So does that mean you end up working many Sunday nights ? How often do you get to choose your sechedule , every week? Every month ?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 9:49 pm
As a Registered Dietitian, we don't have nights but we do have weekends. That means someone needs to swap a Saturday for a Sunday. Most people are resentful as they want to get over their weekend and not ruin 2. (If you find a good Catholic it works well).

You need to be upfront!!!

Find out at the interview exactly what the shifts are and how that would work. Be upfront about what you can provide- you are happy to work xmas.... While it may be religion discrimination for them to ask at an interview (I don't know I'm an RD not a JD), you do not want to cause a hostile work environment and breed antisemitism/anti-orthodoxy. If they don't want you because of it, then you don't want to be there. That being said, they may be thrilled to have someone happy to work Sunday.

imanewmom2010

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:22 pm
I’m an RN. Each facility has its own rules on how many weekend days are required. For my unit it’s 3 per month. So if shabbos were to end early enough (and I’m close enough to get there in time) I can work motzei shabbos otherwise it’s 3 sunday nights. All the places I worked had self scheduling so when I wanted to work MS I just put myself in. I was always upfront about this at the interview and figured it’s not worth not being open. If you are applying in the ny area most major hospitals have worked with Orthodox Jews before and it won’t be a strange request. That being said I do think I was turned down for some jobs and residencies as a new grad because of it, but then I looked at it as not being meant to be. Good luck

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:11 pm
Definitely will be turned away because of shabbos if you say at the interview. My unit you need to work every 3rd weekend. I work every sunday. In the summer I work MS too when it ends early enough. It does cut into my shabbos knowing I'm going to work that night. It's 3 times a week never 4. So when I do work MS and sun it's only one more night for the week which is nice. Being that there's all the yomim tovim I put in my schedule and my manager works around it which is VERY nice. Most places you acrue Payed time off which you can shedule in when you need to take. We get about 6 hours a paycheck which comes out to be a month off per year if your f/t. It is a hard job and 12 hour night shifts can be grueling.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:18 pm
If you really want the job, ask your rabbi. I know many Orthodox medical professionals who work Shabbos and Yom Tov because they are in a position to save a life.

If you really don't want to work on Shabbos and Yom Tov, bring it up in the interview right away, but stress that you will take any secular or non Jewish holiday in return. I've done that at a few jobs, and it's always worked out well for me.

If you bring it up after you've gotten the job, they will NOT look kindly on that.

westchestermom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:33 pm
It may also be useful to know which union represents nurses, because they can be helpful. In my experiences it usually works out because some nurses may want to be off Sundays for church, so it can even out. I have to work 3 Sundays each month. Some hospitals on 12s schedule nurses 3 days for 3 weeks and 4 days on the 4th week - its called a modified schedule.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:39 am
It's an issue for day shift as well btw. Sunday night is not considered a weekend but you can expect to work every Sunday night to make up for Saturdays off. Also, if close enough, you can do Saturday nights in the winter.
I'd advise being up front about it. I'm not a nurse but also did shift work in a hospital. I did not mention it until after I had an offer at my first job and I'm fairly certain they intentionally made me fail (didn't train me, excluded me from meetings I should have been part of, then complained that I wasn't doing what I should be doing). After I told them they initially said they'd accomodate me but then sent explicite email explaining why they cannot and I think HR insisted they take me for damage control. I didn't last past the training period. My other jobs since then have been great about accomodations but coworkers still get upset about it. Even if they get Sundays off. All the Jews are off for Pesach but the Christians have to work Easter.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:54 am
Funny in my Catholic hospital easter is not a payed holiday.

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:58 am
In the hospital I work in they totally accomodate Jewish staff. Be upfront at interview. I believe they cannot legally turn you away due to Sabbath observance. Also, the Orthodox staff cover all legal holidays which is extremely helpful.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 6:05 am
My DH did shift work in a hospital and he always told after the first interview if he was offered the job, but before they negotiate anything. He was turned down for many jobs because of this.

Quote:
While it may be religion discrimination for them to ask at an interview

We spoke with lawyers and Agudah about this, and unfortunately in the medical field this is not true. In the hospital a Saturday or Sunday is just another work day, it's part of working there and part of the job. It's not like a boss asking you to come in overtime on the weekend as an extra help.
Eventually he did find a hospital that was willing to accommodate him - he ended up working almost every Sunday to make up for it. But they ended up giving him lots of trouble in other areas (very similar to what it sounds like amother above went through). He quit and we'll never know if they intentionally wanted him out of there because of the shabbos issue Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics