Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What was your favorite fad growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:59 pm
seeker wrote:
Yknow this might deserve a spinoff. I was trying to figure out what it is about these things. I definitely knew all the classic fairy tales when I was a kid. It still seems sort of expected that people will have some familiarity with them. Yet my own kids, I like to have them somewhat cultured and educated, and yet I have never had the slightest desire to read them any of these classics. There are just so many fine books and stories for young children and frankly all the wolf and bear and witch stuff is scary. I think my mother has a cartoonish anthology that covers the basics so lucky for them (maybe?) my kids are going into the world adequately equipped (for what?) but I'm not sure why and how everyone else is supposed to get this education. But then there are all kinds of cute spinoffs and allusions you could never understand without that background... The Jolly Postman was one of my favorite books but it's a waste of time on most yeshiva kids. The one story I did find occasion to share at a fine early age was The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Very practical. I'm not sure Jack and the Beanstalk is quite as helpful.

I find that my students are less and less familiar with classic fairy tales as the years go by. I remember a Disney version of many of the classics, featuring Mickey as Jack, and that hero in the story with the giant demanding water from a stone. I also picked up a familiarity with Arthurian legends, and I'm not even sure from where. I can't say the same for my own kids.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:00 am
I think a lot of the classic fairy tales aren't read or watched the same as it was because a) most of them are not politically correct and b) there are so many different versions of them out there that the classic is almost gone.
Page 14 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14 Recent Topics