Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is it chutzpah...
Previous  1  2  3

momsrus

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 3:24 pm
tichellady wrote:
People generally don’t want to say “ I feel really lonely and don’t want to eat alone” so instead they say things like “ I am not up for cooking” etc

They’re a group of 5, one person probably wouldn’t be an issue. They should eat together in one of their homes. It’s shabbos hagadol, Most parents are focused on keeping their kids from getting crumbs all over the place.

Yes, I think these people are being self centered. You know what I don’t feel like cooking either.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:53 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
A family of 5 is different than a single person.

Was the post that upset you directed at you personally, or at the community in general?

I'm in a tough spot for Pesach this year. I've been invited to friends in Jerusalem, but we're having trouble coordinating a place for me to stay that is within walking distance. My chronic fatigue has been flaring up really badly lately.

If Jerusalem falls through, I'm looking for someone local to host me, but again, it has to be walking distance, or a place to sleep overnight.

At first I was sure that you were talking about me, because I posted this on FB last night:

"Is anyone hosting a seder in Aleph for singles? I may be at loose ends, and I'm looking for a place. I really don't want to be alone. Preferably walking distance around Dolev. Thanks!"

I hope that wasn't chutzpadik of me.

oy- no!!! Not at all- so sorry if my post made you feel that way...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:53 pm
momsrus wrote:
They’re a group of 5, one person probably wouldn’t be an issue. They should eat together in one of their homes. It’s shabbos hagadol, Most parents are focused on keeping their kids from getting crumbs all over the place.

Yes, I think these people are being self centered. You know what I don’t feel like cooking either.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
OP this hurts a bit.
I am a single mom with one kid (toddler) and I was not invited for one meal including sedarim. I am going to do my best to put on a fun seder for my 2year old. Just the 2 of us.
As much as I put on a brave face and talk about how exciting it's going to be, I am a bit heartbroken that we won't be with a family for Pesach.

I apologize if my wording made you feel bad.. I think I was focusing on being responsible and aware of the world around them- which you certainly are!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:57 pm
watergirl wrote:
This thread is a classic example of when OP didn't include all of the information in her first post, and that bit would have changed all of the replies drastically.

These singles are a group of 5 who are cohesive enough to form a group and look for a meal for shabbos hagadol together. They are not looking for Pesach invitations. They, as a group, want to be hosted by someone this week, which I would think is one of the hardest weeks of the year to cook, much less host. I hear OP. If they are cohesive enough of a group to look for a meal as a group, then in theory they should be cohesive enough to make a potluck for themselves.

OP is not a selfish nasty person. This facebook post rubbed her the wrong way. I've had this feeling also, but in a different way. There are a few families who call me from time to time pretty last minute and tell me that they just stam dont feel like cooking and can they come to us. Could be that its a money issue, could be that they truly dont feel like cooking - there is no way to read minds and know the real intention. One particular woman posts this quite often for her whole family, and she is actually pretty socially off, I know her pretty well, so in her case I think its that she honestly wants a week off.

We host singles and families often enough that people know that we have an open door, but I still invite so people know they have meals covered and also so they feel thought of instead of feeling like someone is doing them a favor. But I really dont think this is the case with what OP is talking about.

exactly.. I edite my original post to be more clear... thanks!!

flmommy

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:24 pm
I would be annoyed also. We have guests a lot but NOT this Shabbos. Too much for me!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics